Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for folks interested in an RPvPEK (ooc)

Bashe

Hello and good morning! I hope my post finds you in the sort of spirit you'll need to be in to trudge through it. I hope this hasn't been brought up before (I didn't see it when I went looking) and I hope you'll take my proposal into consideration!

I'm looking for folks (Individuals or Guilds) to consider making Dyrdinn home. This Eternal Kingdom will serve as a bustling base of operations for all Eternal Champions - whether they aim to fight the Hunger, or each other!  

Details are sketchy at this point, as nothing is set in stone, but the general idea is that Dyrdinn will serve as a hub for trade and progress - the law protects all citizens from open acts of aggression, but perhaps not all aggression is open? The EK will provide by way of commerce and the able bodied, and the citizens will do the rest - as open a political system as we can manage, campaign preparation, roleplay and a sense of community - even if you think your neighbors are chaotic morons, they're YOUR neighbors, dammit!

All of the best inter-player conflicts (imo) come from a basic sense of roleplay - even if the role you're playing comes from the game itself in something like a FPS or RTS game. Investing in a character (even if that character simply exists to go out and crack skulls in campaigns) and putting you and other people like you into a room will allow for a fun dynamic that I don't think can exist without game mechanics like CF's. Like I said, it's early, and I don't know how much scrapping we can do inside an EK, but there are a lot of scenarios that I feel like a RPEK hub can make, that would be really cool.

Going forward, I'll probably try to write up some backstory on the area and what have you, but half of the fun of something like this is that the history of Dyrdinn will be made in the game, as people interact and decisions are made. I'd also like to design some sort of reward system for the first few people to back (dividends on the investment of Dyrdinn!), but it's a little too soon to make any sort of promises like that.

Any thoughts or suggestions to my idea - or those hilariously early pledges of interest - let me have it!

-B

There's talk of a RP guild/EK in the guild forum. I RP, but it's not high on my list of priorities in games like this. So while I may stop by and visit, I probably won't swear fealty or anything like that.

Good luck!

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

There's talk of a RP guild/EK in the guild forum. I RP, but it's not high on my list of priorities in games like this. So while I may stop by and visit, I probably won't swear fealty or anything like that.

Good luck!

It's not a super strict enforcement, just more of a line between OOC and treating the game world like a world. CF is the closest I've seen to some of the more PVP based MUDs I've played, and I've seen some of the awesome interaction people can have with each other when, say, Guild A betrays guild B out in the campaign and then comes home victorious to find all their stuff has been messed with.

Thank you for your wellwishes!

This sounds like a great EK to build.

There have been a number of bait and switch invitations lately on the boards so truthfully I'm a bit wary (*back of hand to forehead*) but I'd love to at least explore the idea on the off chance that this is not yet another freshly made alt to lure folks in so that PM's can be posted later.

I think there can be a lot of sneaking, spying, infiltrating and betraying even if it is in an EK with PvP turned off.   The question is, where are the limits when it comes to things like undercutting your neighbor's prices or paying someone to harass your neighbor's clients.  I can't see the EK working without cooperation among the residents and yet the residents would be enemies. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

There have been a number of bait and switch invitations lately on the boards so truthfully I'm a bit wary (*back of hand to forehead*) but I'd love to at least explore the idea on the off chance that this is not yet another freshly made alt to lure folks in so that PM's can be posted later.

I think there can be a lot of sneaking, spying, infiltrating and betraying even if it is in an EK with PvP turned off.   The question is, where are the limits when it comes to things like undercutting your neighbor's prices or paying someone to harass your neighbor's clients.  I can't see the EK working without cooperation among the residents and yet the residents would be enemies. 

I just pledged in today after being frustrated that my threads started on the Crowfall subreddit wouldn't actually show up. I'm fighting myself (and my girlfriend) about buying the Ruby (I think) so as to stream the alphas. There's no need for any PMing as of yet, although from what I understand these here forums were very recently a wretched hive of scum and villainy, so I understand your hesitation.

The thing is, there has to be a central power. Unfortunately, in this scenario it would end up being me, but I'd be more than happy to do what some sort of ruling council tells me to do (the best part is I can't break anything on an uber powertrip, people can just pack up and leave if they think I'm off kilter!)

The council would be the de facto home for grievances, and there would be some sort of lawbook folks would "agree" to follow if they wanted in on the perks. In my imaginary awesomeland, I see three Duchies (or whatever we'll call them). They can all do what they want, as long as they follow the basic lawbook (think 5 commandments) of the Kingdom. Those duchies might have 1 or 2 guilds a piece, and then some solo players who want to do their solo player thing - those duchies might scrap out from time to time, or back-alley deals might be made to shaft a duchy and jump ship (and guild). That'd be cool, that'd be the thing that makes good stories and lasting memories.

I feel like the players are given a lot of tools to expand upon the multiplayer aspect of MMO in this game, and I think if people treat it more like a living world than just a deathmatch simulator (within reason, it IS a game), lots of fun can be had. 

The real question here is what kind of pms would we all be sending here?

Secondly It just seems like an early pledge to an EK, for a game not yet fully released.

As for a rp EK, I'd have to say its a no holds one when it comes to prices. Everyone will value things differently, so if your willing to undercut your swords of great make for cheaper. Go for it. I'll happily buy them out and sell for mark-up.

As for the spying, loose lips sink ships. Keep your lips sealed and silence will ensue.

Hail friend! Glorious weather, the land of Farrums couldn't have been more blessed.

I did see your flier about, and while I have found myself a home with another merry band I was hoping perhaps you'd be interested in doing business once you've gotten your charter and that muck all sorted out?

Secondly It just seems like an early pledge to an EK, for a game not yet fully released.

As for a rp EK, I'd have to say its a no holds one when it comes to prices. Everyone will value things differently, so if your willing to undercut your swords of great make for cheaper. Go for it. I'll happily buy them out and sell for mark-up.

As for the spying, loose lips sink ships. Keep your lips sealed and silence will ensue.

Rereading the OP now I can see how it will attract the folks after a more animosity based rp. I am wondering if it needs to be so cutthroat.

I think that after I get done with a campaign I'm going to head to an EK where I actually don't have to battle my neighbors tbh. I love the idea of a RP backed EK to set up a store in but the thought of having to keep up the same level of paranoia when I'm in my merchant stall as when I'm in the midst of a dregs campaign just does not seem like much fun.

I think in order for a merchant community to grow there needs to be a base of mutual profit - at least to start things out. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I didn't ask for PMs? Why does everybody keep talking about PMs? Don't send me any PMs!

And yeah, just gauging interest, there's a long way to go yet before the game is playable.

For the third and fourth point, I suspect it's a matter of economics and ingenuity, respectively. If you're bored fighting for Chaos, go fight for Order and let the secrets fly - but don't be upset when that comes back to bite you. And as far as selling things goes, you didn't really say anything. That's how markets work, so I don't know what you were saying there.

Rereading the OP now I can see how it will attract the folks after a more animosity based rp. I am wondering if it needs to be so cutthroat.

I think that after I get done with a campaign I'm going to head to an EK where I actually don't have to battle my neighbors tbh. I love the idea of a RP backed EK to set up a store in but the thought of having to keep up the same level of paranoia when I'm in my merchant stall as when I'm in the midst of a dregs campaign just does not seem like much fun.

I think in order for a merchant community to grow there needs to be a base of mutual profit - at least to start things out. 

It certainly isn't intended to be a giant battleground. If you choose to set up in a Duchy that allows open PvP and doesn't have any sort of restrictions, you'll probably have to suspect that you'll be jumped once or thrice. It's all super early speculation - but I suspect I wouldn't attack anyone in a "town" where I might catch a name for myself, but out in the open looking for resources, if I can bop someone on the head to get their ores, so be it.

It certainly isn't intended to be a giant battleground. If you choose to set up in a Duchy that allows open PvP and doesn't have any sort of restrictions, you'll probably have to suspect that you'll be jumped once or thrice. It's all super early speculation - but I suspect I wouldn't attack anyone in a "town" where I might catch a name for myself, but out in the open looking for resources, if I can bop someone on the head to get their ores, so be it.

I seem to remember the devs specifying that the toggle switch for PvP was on an EK level and that PVP was either on or off for the whole EK.

If it's on for the EK I don't see how that would actually work logistically in conjunction with merchants.   There would just be a series of gangs sweeping through and taking merchandise.

I was talking in my post above about non-PvP aggression such as infiltrating, price undercutting etc.

pixS8Wt.jpg

I didn't read anywhere in the EK's that there will be a full loot system or your merchs getting ganked.

In all honesty, it would seem more like I jump out at you, go "Aha!" You scream, "Unhand you fugly rat eared, rapscalion!" And one of us then dies. Death in this case is just a minor annoying set back, unless that said thing that happens above goes on a few thousand times. Which case I'd say the crosses the border of harassment.

As for the paranoia of the merch. stalls again pvp can be enabled and disabled at a whim.

Would be nice though for each 'noble' to set the pvp perms of what they own. I.e. Monarch can set the Overall map to open-pvp but small areas where there is heavy shopping/foot traffic, and the nobles who own the lands/buildings can set it how they see fit allowing for a tad bit more custimization of each area.

I didn't ask for PMs? Why does everybody keep talking about PMs? Don't send me any PMs!

And yeah, just gauging interest, there's a long way to go yet before the game is playable.

For the third and fourth point, I suspect it's a matter of economics and ingenuity, respectively. If you're bored fighting for Chaos, go fight for Order and let the secrets fly - but don't be upset when that comes back to bite you. And as far as selling things goes, you didn't really say anything. That's how markets work, so I don't know what you were saying there.

Foremost, was quoting Oridi and addressing some of their concerns. Most roleplayers tend to get cushy with each other after a while and start up friendships outside the game. Or at last in my experience thats how it goes. And friends get to know each other somewhat intimatmetly. This has a bad side-effect though of devolving into a high-school set up for drama. One time friend now divulges secrets or knowledge you shared with them in confidence. Hence the posting of PMs.

I was talking in my post above about non-PvP aggression such as infiltrating, price undercutting etc.

To be quite frank I'm 99.999% sure that price undercutting is gonna be a thing all across the EK's. Its the way the merchant game works. You want customers to come in, your gonna have to either offer better pricing, or do something to attract customers. Its not unlike todays modern economics, it'll be... less controlled.

As for your neighbors waging an ungoldy war against your shop in terms of underpricing, like I stated. Just undercut till their stock is low enough, buy it out sell for markup. The mats have to come from somewhere. The question here is this, where in the bloody hell will they keep getting mats from at a stable and increadibly high influx to keep you from being able to play the undercut and buyout game to let them stay in business?

I didn't read anywhere in the EK's that there will be a full loot system or your merchs getting ganked.

In all honesty, it would seem more like I jump out at you, go "Aha!" You scream, "Unhand you fugly rat eared, rapscalion!" And one of us then dies. Death in this case is just a minor annoying set back, unless that said thing that happens above goes on a few thousand times. Which case I'd say the crosses the border of harassment.

As for the paranoia of the merch. stalls again pvp can be enabled and disabled at a whim.

Would be nice though for each 'noble' to set the pvp perms of what they own. I.e. Monarch can set the Overall map to open-pvp but small areas where there is heavy shopping/foot traffic, and the nobles who own the lands/buildings can set it how they see fit allowing for a tad bit more custimization of each area.

There's been absolutely no mention of the EK's having a completely different PvP system than the rest of the game.  The setup of the EK's landscape is pulled from the campaign setup of landscape - the point being that they are saving money by using the same system for 2 uses.  PvP in the EK's will be the same PvP as in the campaigns.   Which means looting the corpse is part of the deal.

My point was that PvP is an all EK or nothing toggle switch, making the OP idea of partial PvP not logistically possible.

pixS8Wt.jpg

I was honestly considering using my EK for something similar, but I'm all for letting someone else do the work.

What are your qualifications? Ever run anything similar? A SL Sim or a MUD or maybe an RP guild or something would be good examples.

Edited by Hi!

I was honestly considering using my EK for something similar, but I'm all for letting someone else do the work.

What are your qualifications? Ever run anything similar? A SL Sim or a MUD or maybe an RP something would be good examples.

I'd also like to know this. I've had some very.... interesting experiences with RP guilds/organizations in the past.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out