Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stubs01

Dead men tell no tales

I think it might be an interesting idea to disable in-game communications while a player is dead. Why? 

Say a group is making a sneak attack on enemy turf, they take out a scout/guard/whatever quickly and quietly. If the player can't communicate with the rest of his guild, he can't give them any early warnings.

Granted I don't know how long you actually do stay dead when killed, and of course this would be under-mined if they're using 3rd party VoIP at the time. But I still think it would be a gd addition.

Why should dead players give warning to enemy position and numbers while they're dead?

I don't think that cutting communication in game will actually prevent dead folks from spreading the word.  Teamspeak/Vent/Skype etc are so widely used these days that the info will be passed outside of game.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Remember ghostspeak in UO?

Interesting idea, terrible in execution. If you bothered to level the skill that just mean you could understand the ghost cursing at you. Anyway, these days there's not much point to disabling communication if you're dead. As long as the dead player can't scout around and see everything at any distance while dead, there's not much tactical advantage.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

I think it might be an interesting idea to disable in-game communications while a player is dead. Why? 

Say a group is making a sneak attack on enemy turf, they take out a scout/guard/whatever quickly and quietly. If the player can't communicate with the rest of his guild, he can't give them any early warnings.

Granted I don't know how long you actually do stay dead when killed, and of course this would be under-mined if they're using 3rd party VoIP at the time. But I still think it would be a gd addition.

Why should dead players give warning to enemy position and numbers while they're dead?

I like the concept, but as Oridi stated 3rd party comms is pretty common among organizations. I cant think of any solutions yet.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

Remember ghostspeak in UO?

Interesting idea, terrible in execution. If you bothered to level the skill that just mean you could understand the ghost cursing at you. Anyway, these days there's not much point to disabling communication if you're dead. As long as the dead player can't scout around and see everything at any distance while dead, there's not much tactical advantage.

I think hes talking about like you catch a scout who saw your encampment and by killing him you actually are not protecting that information because the dead scout can still relay the info on player amount, organization, movements, and other info.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

A talking dead man can bring more people to his corpse to be transformed into more talking dead men.

Poetry.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

I like the idea but as others have posted voip services will make this difficult to implement 100% effective.  I think the best they could do is inhibit what you (the dead person) can see and do while dead.  Disabling map location markers;  Fog of War type sight inhibiting;  Disabling in-game chat.  Regardless of the voip workaround I think it should still be implemented into the game. 

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

As vitalized said ... alternatively maybe crowfall could disable your mic or eject the jack or something to buy some time :P

When you die a localized EMP fries your computer, how's that for hardcore?

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

When you die a localized EMP fries your computer, how's that for hardcore?

For gonzo mode, maybe.  

*holy crap! that's what gonzo means?  i've been trying to figure that one out for weeks.*  Why is that even filtered? i don't get it?

Edited by Eston

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

Some of the filters are very mysterious.

I'll never be able to talk about gonzo journalism without people getting confused. :(

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

I wish we had socks-configurable socksfilters, then the ability to socks them. we could socks a community-managed wordfilter and socks every single word to socks. it'd make socks hard to socks but socks socks socks.

edit: socks

Edited by Hi!

*holy crap! that's what gonzo means?  i've been trying to figure that one out for weeks.*  Why is that even filtered? i don't get it?

Because the developers are a bunch of gonzos ;)

7ug90hM.png

For gonzo mode, maybe.  

*said in an old lady telling a story by the fire voice*

Early on in the history of the boards there were 2 types of players - the Shadowbaners and the Wiz101/Pirate101 folks.  The battles on the boards were legendary - to the point where when I arrived on these boards a week after the bans/suspensions hit the hardest I got grief from the mods for putting the word c a r e b e a r in a post title.  I was clueless about the sensitivity over such a benign word but it was srs bznz.

Up until a few weeks ago there was a mod on the boards named Doc Gonzo.  He was a Shadowbaner - pretty tough fellow but he was fair and did a solid job as a mod.  One day Doc Gonzo and Tully started poking at each other and after a few posts back and forth Tully went and changed the profanity filter to use gonzo instead of the illicit and immoral care bear.   It solved the issue of sensitivity around the word (which had pretty much died down at that point) and also managed to cause great suffering in the best possible way for Doc. 

And that's how gonzo got to be the filter word for ... well I just can't say it a third time. Way too controversial.

Edited by oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I wish this kind of thing actually had an effective impact, as it stands, people can just use many forms of auxiliary communication to have an even greater advantage in comparison to regular players who now have an even greater communication barrier. 

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Limiting post-mortem information spread is futile so long as there is information to be gathered. Instead, limit or destroy the ability to gather information while dead.

The simplest way to do that is respawning in town when you're dead, skipping the 'ghost' phase entirely.

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean