Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bahamutkaiser

What kind of games and mechanics would you like Crowfall to sample from?

References to one game or another have been mentioned as ACE and players try to describe what Crowfall will be, or what they'd like in Crowfall. Most of these come from peer sources, other MMOs similar to the expectation for Crowfall, but there are a lot of mechanisms out there, in all sorts of games, genres, platforms and generations. Some games may even have little to do with Crowfalls direction, but have intriguing mechanisms which would benefit Crowfall and solve problems.

Which games or mechanisms would you like to see considered for Crowfall? We see a lot of reference to MMOs ACE has worked on, and popular MMOs in the market, but there are dozens of other significant existing and upcoming MMOs, which even if failures, could have great mechanisms which would have worked great if delivery hadn't been ruined or something essential had been changed and adjusted. What about single player and console games?, or games in completely different genres, or games with little relevant to an action MMO but a key feature.

Share, if you would, the fascinating features you'd like, and try to add a few pics of the game or action shots if possible.

In order to limit flooding, I'd ask that each post be kept to 3 games, 3 pictures, and 3 paragraphs. Even if you double post, it would help keep quote blocks smaller and allow people to address posts more accurately.

Here's a little to start. Monster Hunter Online, and Black Desert Online. It'd be better to point out specific mechanisms in the games, unless your just pointing out aesthetics of a game, but I'll cut that from my entry just for brevity.

maxresdefault.jpg

20140430055954a0drunvym1s3s63r.jpg

Musica https://youtu.be/ANasgaDH_Z0

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

FF14's crafting materials/minigame systems. High quality items, the ability to automate the process ('quick-craft') at the expense of overall quality.

Almost any given item could be crafted, and was crafted in multiple steps. First materials were mined, then materials were crafted into components, then components were crafted into the finished product. At any stage, a crafter could choose to focus on speed or quality; one set of actively-used abilities would make the overall process faster, while another set of actively-used abilities would increase the chance for a high-quality result. Most crafters did not have the CP (crafter mana) to do both.

What this meant is that you could sock out a bunch of iron daggers to level up your skill or flood the market, or you could hand-craft a masterwork piece of equipment using only the finest materials.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

I think Monster Hunter has some good material for PvE combat and quite literally Monster Hunting, though games like Dragons Dogma and Witcher 3 are probably superior at this point.

DDO_04-04-15.jpg

NEW_The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Ice_Giant_Hu

https://youtu.be/Ew3--XVFioU

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Okay; What is it about these systems that's so appealing? Pretty pictures don't tell me a whole lot other than "They're big and nasty" or "I need a group to fight them"

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

The Combat from Dark Souls and Monster Hunter comes to mind.

Can't agree on the FF14 crafting thou, while a step up from the garbage that passes for crafting in most other MMO's, it's still painfully dull.

I'd much rather have the crafting from Cooking Mama.

I doubt there has ever been an MMO that has had crafting that was actually enjoyable to do, and that you'd actually want to spend your time doing.

It's a chore.

Okay; What is it about these systems that's so appealing? Pretty pictures don't tell me a whole lot other than "They're big and nasty" or "I need a group to fight them"

Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, and Witcher are all console single player or small multi player games, I guess I could link videos, the main thing is that the beasts have more involved actions and players have to do more observation and reaction rather than just activate rotations to fight them.

https://youtu.be/RgWCJiaD8aI?t=1m43s

https://youtu.be/bGlgpncvNps

https://youtu.be/BivVXw-NLTw?t=1m9s

The Combat from Dark Souls and Monster Hunter comes to mind.

Can't agree on the FF14 crafting thou, while a step up from the garbage that passes for crafting in most other MMO's, it's still painfully dull.

I'd much rather have the crafting from Cooking Mama.

I doubt there has ever been an MMO that has had crafting that was actually enjoyable to do, and that you'd actually want to spend your time doing.

It's a chore.

I'd have to agree whole heartedly, most MMOs put poor effort into mini games and side features, even though they ask for subscriptions, expansion retail, and expect you to play for indefinite amounts of time, while console JRPGs and the like will feature minigames interesting enough to play exclusively for ages, simple things like Fishing in Breath of Fire 3 or Chocobo Racing in Final Fantasy VII are a joy to play, and even prepare for, while MMOs wouldn't even feature a breeding process that's half as interesting as FF7 Chocobo Breeding. Why?, priorities >.> Even major JRPGs are forgetting the delight of distractions, which are a great remedy to rudimentary gameplay common in most MMOs.

https://youtu.be/TY8RHvTs0ko

https://youtu.be/cZef9qRwXag

Edited by bahamutkaiser

I'd have to agree whole heartedly, most MMOs put poor effort into mini games and side features, even though they ask for subscriptions, expansion retail, and expect you to play for indefinite amounts of time, while console JRPGs and the like will feature minigames interesting enough to play exclusively for ages, simple things like Fishing in Breath of Fire 3 or Chocobo Racing in Final Fantasy VII are a joy to play, and even prepare for, while MMOs wouldn't even feature a breeding process that's half as interesting as FF7 Chocobo Breeding. Why?, priorities >.> Even major JRPGs are forgetting the delight of distractions, which are a great remedy to rudimentary gameplay common in most MMOs.

https://youtu.be/TY8RHvTs0ko

https://youtu.be/cZef9qRwXag

Exactly.

It's been one of my single greats gripes about MMO's since forever.  That devs spends all the goddamn time on making combat interesting and fun (hopefully), and having a million generic ! quests, but seemingly all of about 5mins on their crafting.  It's something I might enjoy if it had any real effort put behind it.

I like supporting people, but I don't want to do something unfun to do so.

If Artcraft really, truly want to innovate, then they have to make crafting gameplay fun, by actually having gameplay.  Even more so since they intend on having crafting under pinning the entire game, so it had bloody well better be enjoyable and engaging to do.

I'm sick of playing a vending machine simulator.

warcraft 2 and 3. killable respawning thralls should be working on lumber mills and in the Mines. You'd have to place them in the POI To increase output Of a mine or a lumber mill. For example standard POI gives you 100 units of resource per day. Placing additional thralls there increases the output by 20 per thrall. Max number of thralls that can be placed in the POI should depend on the size of resource node. And the thralls should actually wander around chopping threes and carrying ore. MAYBE You should also be able to construct limited number of watch towers and place limited number of considerably tough guardian thralls To protect the worker thralls.

Irondeep_Peon.jpg

you should be able ro raid and kill enemy tralls at any time, to slow down the output of a production node. After a while they respawn and the output should return back to max.

build05.jpg

Edited by rajah

warcraft 2 and 3. killable respawning thralls should be working on lumber mills and in the Mines. You'd have to place them there To increase output Of a mine or a lumber mill.

And you should be able ro raid and kill enemy tralls at any time, to slow down the output of a production node. After a while they respawn and the output returns back to max.

If we're going that route the game better require you to build more farms.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

That'd be interesting tbh. The larger the zerg the more farms they should require. Burn the farms and they start starving andn get debuffed.

You should have additional sources of food too, like.in age of empires, gathering, hunting, fishing.

Large guilds WILL have to build farms to feed and small guilds should be able to survive off scavenging.

Edited by rajah

I like the route they're going with thralls acting as guards for keeps, but I don't think they should respawn. I think you should have to get a new thrall when it dies.

Jedi Knight: Academy had a mod called lugormod that had a really cool combat system. Between 4 different styles of lightsaber combat and force pull, push, grip, speed, jump, lightning, mind trick, protect, absorb, heal, and drain it was a really diverse combat system. The only downside was lightsaber contact dealing damage, so people would spin as their swing went around to keep the lightsaber inside the target... it actually kind of made sense with it being a beam of energy but with traditional medieval weapons that aspect would be a bit dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOaYm3ekT8

x9M7iWc.png?1

The obvious question then is, let's say I have this megazerg which I know falls apart if I have no farms.

Who's to say that my farms will even be in a position where you can strike them?
Why can't I just garrison the farms with dudes?

Edited by Psyentific

The obvious question then is, let's say I have this megazerg which I know falls apart if I have no farms.

Who's to say that my farms will even be in a position where you can strike them?

Why can't I just garrison the farms with dudes?

I think they can tailor the game based off of what we've seen from rts in this regard.  If farms really do take up a significant amount of land, then running a huge zerg would require a ton of farmland adding a new large piece of territory you need to protect. 

In RTS games you often see people try to cripple an opponent's supply so that they can not reproduce an army quickly... maybe with certain types of debuffs for not having the proper amount of resources pumpin to support your zerg guild they can make it a significant decision when trying to figure out how big you want to let your guild get.  Who knows if they have the budget for such things, but adding nice little strategic elements like this, when there are enough of them, can really enhance the game and its complexity. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think they can tailor the game based off of what we've seen from rts in this regard.  If farms really do take up a significant amount of land, then running a huge zerg would require a ton of farmland adding a new large piece of territory you need to protect. 

Tying farms to land would mean that

1. All available land defaults to Farm in lieu of a farm-cap or more useful things

2. Effective guild size is soft or hardcapped to the amount of land they control.

Taking 2 to its logical conclusion, this means the big stay big and the small stay smaller, unless fights are not decided primarily by numbers. There will be fights decided primarily by raw numbers, because constructing an engagement like that means I can render your skill irrelevant.

Tying farms to land would mean that1. All available land defaults to Farm in lieu of a farm-cap or more useful things2. Effective guild size is soft or hardcapped to the amount of land they control.Taking 2 to its logical conclusion, this means the big stay big and the small stay smaller, unless fights are not decided primarily by numbers. There will be fights decided primarily by raw numbers, because constructing an engagement like that means I can render your skill irrelevant.

1. Constructing farms should have a cost, so covering all available land with farms should not be feasible. It's a matter of balancing the costcof the farm vs output, vs alternetive means of getting food.

2. Numbers always matter. Farms is just another limiting factor for zergs. Additional farms could provide diminishing returns, first 2 farms producing 10, units second 2 producing 5!units.of.food.etc.so the larger your guild, the more expensive the upkeep becomes, in relation to a smaller guild.

And yes, if you want more.people you will have to expand your territory, that makes perfect sense.

Raidable farmer thralls, that function similar to the.miner thralls described in the post above would also be cool.

Edited by rajah