Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baba

Things I [we] don't want in Crowfall

Bringing up WW2 to expain obvious things is a sure way to derail the thread

Not really; It's a very accessible way to make my point, so long as nobody contests that Stalin wasn't as bad as Hitler, because he totally flipping was

Let's get back on topic: What are some absolutely awful things that you never want to see in Crowfall?

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

I suppose I just have a feel from reading the forums what we don't want to see already and this thread seems to be servicing us rather that the devs who almost certainly have a whiteboard full of things that denote the direction they would like to go into the game tacked up with notes and negative/positive feedback. I've become something of a pessimist lately. 

Not really; It's a very accessible way to make my point, so long as nobody contests that Stalin wasn't as bad as Hitler, because he totally flipping wasLet's get back on topic: What are some absolutely awful things that you never want to see in Crowfall?

That infographic is significantly inaccurate. Total European losses in WW2 (including Germany) amounted to approximately near 40 million, yet on your picture Hitler ( who started ww2) is held reponsible for only 17 millions. I suggest you start using more credible data.

http://www.secondworldwarhistory.com/world-war-2-statistics.asp

Anyways back to the topic.

Edited by rajah

Things that could make me regret backing really quick:

- Tacked on features that muddy the core game aesthetic.

- Compromising of core vision/philosophy

- PvE as a separate game experience. Minor tidbits here and there I don't mind.

- 'acquire target, push buttons' as Psy elegantly put it. Risk/reward, tactical decisions, high analogue skill ceiling are plus plus. The less 'if A, then B' combat is, the better in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I remain quite confident in ACE.

Under EK I'd put requirement.  I don't want to see them become a requirement.

Under combat, class balance.  It's already expressed as one of their goals, but I think is important enough to reiterate.

Under PVE, I'd put quests.  Don't want quests.

Under combat, button spamming.  I do not want someone to simply span the number 2 button all day because it is their most OP ability.  I want people to react to the situation and what skill they use depends on what the situation dictates.

Under general, instancing.  I do not want to see parts of a campaign instanced.

[@--(o.O)@]

I suppose I just have a feel from reading the forums what we don't want to see already and this thread seems to be servicing us rather that the devs who almost certainly have a whiteboard full of things that denote the direction they would like to go into the game tacked up with notes and negative/positive feedback. I've become something of a pessimist lately.

I think it would be rather silly of the devs not to use the free VOC they get here, chances are very very high that they consider whatever useful things they find on the forum. Edited by rajah

Under EK I'd put requirement.  I don't want to see them become a requirement.

Under combat, class balance.  It's already expressed as one of their goals, but I think is important enough to reiterate.

Under PVE, I'd put quests.  Don't want quests.

Under combat, button spamming.  I do not want someone to simply span the number 2 button all day because it is their most OP ability.  I want people to react to the situation and what skill they use depends on what the situation dictates.

Under general, instancing.  I do not want to see parts of a campaign instanced.

Are you fine with some classes being able to own others in a 1v1 setting or will you attempt to balance it all?

J. Todd Coleman

2) absolutely, that’s not the goal of balance (which is good, I suppose, since it wouldn’t be possible.)

Our goal is for players to be able to decide what play style they want, and customize their character to that end. Part of that means they need to figure out what situations they want to be strong in, and seek those out. It also means choosing some areas they WON’T be strong in, and avoiding them.

(“Perfect balance” isn’t actually fun, either, btw. Rock Paper Scissors is pretty balanced! and terribly boring.)

take that as you want on class balancing.

take that as you want on class balancing.

Yup.  I know it's been mentioned as a goal of theirs to allow such play behavior.  It doesn't mean I still don't want to ensure that it turns out this way in game, and as such want it on the list.

The same can be said for my comment about EK's becoming a requirement.  They have said they won't, but I'd still want to see it on a player generated list.

[@--(o.O)@]

I think it would be rather silly of the devs not to use the free VOC they get here, chances are very very high that they consider whatever useful things they find on the forum.

It's silly, and somewhat insulting, to think that these devs don't have enough experience with MMOs that they're not fully aware of the pits and land mines to avoid.  Believe me, they're way, way, way beyond this list. 

This thread isn't really adding value to CF or its development.  Focus on the positive and new ways to evolve our MMO industry, while aware of these things.  Once you get in-game and start testing different things, then you can bring up some of these issues as potential risks and offer up some possible solutions.  That would be far more productive.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

It's silly, and somewhat insulting, to think that these devs don't have enough experience with MMOs that they're not fully aware of the pits and land mines to avoid.  Believe me, they're way, way, way beyond this list. 

If this were the point then what would be the point of the forums at all?  We should all just sit back and wait two years.  No.

The developers have said MULTIPLE times they welcome our discussions, value our opinions, and take a lot of what we say into consideration.  While we both agree they are a very experienced group, it does not hurt to hear from the folks you are developing the game for.

[@--(o.O)@]

This reminds me of okcupid profiles where it's just a laundry list of qualities they absolutely won't tolerate in a partner and I'm like, "then does ANYTHING make you happy?"

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

I honestly think this list can get overly big and eventually become useless. Any design course will cause a few issues and other potential issues, but if things are well designed around it then the issues are mitigated or become small problems next to the benefits. Some issues might never go away, they are simply consequence of the design and can't be avoided.

I understand the effort here, but I think developers see this the other way. First they think of what they do want in the game and how they can make a system, then as they think about the system to accomplish their vision, they see possible problems and adjust the system so it does what is intended without causing game breaking issues, allowing abuse etc. So the line of thinking is way more specific than this, it's about each game mechanic, it's intended purpose vs the problems or unintended purposes rather than a generic list of "I won't want to see this".

My 2 cents.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

Mea culpa for my professional defect. They are experts, they know what to do, I just said what I don't want from them.

Queue and server lag are inevitable realities of standing up any new environment.

It usually takes months to observe, determine actual need vs. projected need and compensate accordingly.

There's no data modeling or virtual environment that can 100% accurately predict how many servers will be needed and how much bandwidth will be needed.  Let's face it, the users (that's us) are always going to want minimal wait, no lag, blah, blah, blah.  In a perfect world the server team and network team would make everything work perfectly with 99% uptime.  It just doesn't happen on fledgling, unproven systems.  Like any MMO released in the last 10 years the beginning will inevitably be the roughest spot with the most complaints from the people that don't understand the complexities of what ACE will be dealing with at the start.

I do and therefore have spent the last few years building up an immunity.  It helps.  :P

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

Yeah its not very realistic at all to think that a new game will have no queue. You want no queue and no server lag yeah well people in hell want ice water. In order to have no server lag you have to have queues (when the population is high) so it doesn't jam the system when everyone try's to log in at the same time.

Can only hope they are well prepared and it goes smooth but yeah have no doubt there will be queues for the first weeks or so of a new MMO.

-Hierarchy and territory division only avaible in EKs

-Housing game focused on Eks

-Pay to win store options

-Moba campaigns style

-Campaign winners without benefit

Edited by LeWiSS

If this were the point then what would be the point of the forums at all?  We should all just sit back and wait two years.  No.

The developers have said MULTIPLE times they welcome our discussions, value our opinions, and take a lot of what we say into consideration.  While we both agree they are a very experienced group, it does not hurt to hear from the folks you are developing the game for.

Productive discussions offer possible solutions or ideas, not a laundry list of player dislikes. It's counter-productive and I'm sure if everyone posted what they dislike, the list would surpass the IRS Code.  Threads like this just add to the negative noise in the forums.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Help me with this list:

1. General

• queue
  • server lag
  • 3 years in development  :ph34r:  [hate list]

2. Combat

• downed state
  • revive
  • tab targeting
  • button spamming [#25 - Scribbles]
  • hard CC
  • broken stealth mechanic
  • telegraph system [confirmed off]

3. Siege

• PvD (player vs door)
  • 'Boring' mechanics [#7 - Psyentific]

4. PVE

• grinding/farming
  • PvE as a separate game experience [#24 - Kalsomir]
  • mounts and pets [hate list]

5. Crafting

• RNG nightmare
  • "Labor points"
  • Un-fun crafting [#7 - Psyentific]

6. EK

7. Economy/Store

• Inflation

Not try to be a hooligan, but this list is a little ridiculous.  Few examples of why I say this

'Tab targeting' - Won't be a thing. Research.

'Revive' - How is this a bad thing?  Obviously no mass-resing but the C&C guys had some pretty cool ideas for this

'Broken stealth mechanic' - Uh, obviously?

'PVE grinding' - Won't be a thing.  Research.

'Inflation' - Obviously 

This is... I don't have the right words. Useless isn't quite right. Unnecessary isn't quite right either... It's not necessarily trash, but it isn't valuable either...

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.