Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baba

Things I [we] don't want in Crowfall

A skill based game is one where the outcome is based as much as possible on the direct input from the player.

It's an attempt to make the game feel more realistic as opposed to being more skillful. It's basically just developer laziness or lack of resources to use a simplified system instead of a better one.

I disagree with your explanations and reasons.  A game with zero RNG is absolutely boring.  It's the very reason why games evolved to include RNG.  Players want less predictability.  RNG has little to do with skill, in fact the opposite.  It takes a very skilled player to navigate around/with the RNG factors.

I'm not advocating for heavy RNG, but I'm certainly not on the opposite spectrum of zero RNG.  

Anyway, we've stated our points and opinions... good luck with your zero RNG campaign.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

There is a separate thread for RNG, personally I do not care much about it. as long as they come up with something that plays well. Actually, a little RNG might even spice things up.

Edited by rajah

To be clear, DOTA uses mostly pseudo-RNG, which is a different beast. And I don't think there's any RNG in CSGO or Quake?

There is very little in game rng in Quake, shotgun blast spread for example.

Edited by rajah

I just want to be clear that we all understand that there is absolutely no RNG in real life

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I am quite sure Heisenberg proved the opposite. :P

Hehe good one.

He proved that we do not understand enough to determine cause and effect for everything.

Which really isn't surprising

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I don't understand why some are against crowd control in combat - as long it's a decent counter.

Combat should be easy to get into, but hard to master for sure.

Updated:

- A good example in Shadowbane.

Shadowbane had probably the longest stun durations of 15 to 9 seconds compare to any other mmos out there,

but if you was grouped up with 10 other players and at least 5 of those had the commander rune

with a stun break - which included stun immunity for a brief duration. There you go you've a counter..

It's not an issue in larger scale castle sieges, but it was harder to balance in small scale events.

One thing is essential about combat do you balance the game Crowfall in small scale 1 vs 1, 3 vs 5 etc.

or large scale 50 vs 70 players? 

I can see some issues with hard CC in small scale combat events, but it depends how ACE implement powers

and balance it.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Hehe good one.

He proved that we do not understand enough to determine cause and effect for everything.

Which really isn't surprising

Actually in the last century we proved that the uncertainty in quantum mechanics is a principle, not a human limit.

Which is why QM is so fu*king weird. Even Einstein was proved wrong on that regard.

Some still try to fight the idea, but it's a battle against giants (like v>c).

Enough physics already, let's talk about something that matters.. online gaming!

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Not to disagree with Heisenberg, but Conpenhagen interpretation is a consensus, 500 years ago the concensus was that the earth is flat.

Edited by rajah

That is simply uncorrect.

I am not sure how to put it so you can understand.... but the uncertainty principle can't be proved wrong, like 2+2=4.

The various interpretations are a way to deal with this fact.

For example, another interpretation simply states that there are an infinite amount of universes where any chance of QM is verified.

I guess there's a better time and place to talk about this topic anyway. :)

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I don't understand why some are against crowd control in combat - as long it's a decent counter.

Combat should be easy to get into, but hard to master for sure.

Updated:

- A good example in Shadowbane.

Shadowbane had probably the longest stun durations of 15 to 9 seconds compare to any other mmos out there,

but if you was grouped up with 10 other players and at least 5 of those had the commander rune

with a stun break - which included stun immunity for a brief duration. There you go you've a counter..

It's not an issue in larger scale castle sieges, but it was harder to balance in small scale events.

One thing is essential about combat do you balance the game Crowfall in small scale 1 vs 1, 3 vs 5 etc.

or large scale 50 vs 70 players. 

I can see some issues with hard CC in small scale combat events, but it depends how ACE implement powers

and balance it.

Archetype A having a stun and archetype B having a stunbreak does not sound very exciting. Its simply a matter of if stunned, press stunbreak. There needs to be a tactical decision involved in placing the stun and similarly a tactical decision involved in dispelling it.

Regardless, there is merit to the idea that CC doesn't really fit as well in a combat environment with active attacks/blocks/dodges compared to say a hotkey/tabtarget based combat environment. Or rather, the CC systems we're used to from 2nd gen MMOs don't necessarily translate 1:1 to a game with a different combat system.

Personally I'd like to see daze, encumbrances and fatigue type of effects that limit mobility and active defensive tools, instead of hard stuns. 

Edited by Kalsomir

http://scitechdaily.com/interpretation-of-heisenbergs-principle-is-proven-false/

Did you read about it ? It's as late as 2012.

"They found that one measurement of one polarization did not always disturb the other state as much as the uncertainty principle predicted. In the strongest case, the induced fuzziness was little as half of what is predicted by the principle.

There’s still no way that you can know both quantum states accurately at the same time, states Steinberg. However, the experiment shows that the act of measurement doesn’t always cause the uncertainty."

It does not prove the principle wrong but probably shows that there are ways to reduce uncertainty below what is currently deemed possible ?

Yeah, I totally believe someone understands quantum mechanics when they link science blogs. Yessiree.

This case of oneupmanship is getting pretty fierce. Next someone will have to come up with a brand new theory supporting/tearing down a goddamn RNG in a video game.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Yeah, I totally believe someone understands quantum mechanics when they link science blogs. Yessiree.

This case of oneupmanship is getting pretty fierce. Next someone will have to come up with a brand new theory supporting/tearing down a goddamn RNG in a video game.

The topic is interesting, no need to get all defensive/ hostile over it. Edited by rajah

The topic is interesting, no need to get all defencive/ hostile over it.

I'm neither. I'm wryly amused, and even more so at the fact you can throw around links about quantum mechanics yet can't spell defensive.

e: Mmm, actually, that seems just about right.

Edited by Aiona

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Anyway, regarding whether or not life has an RNG: Einstein himself said god does not play dice with the universe, so there you go.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Woa, woa, telegraph system confirmed off? Why? Where? I looked, but I can't find a link with a dev quote on this. The search option is awesome on this forum, but there is a lot of chaff and telegraph hate to dig through to find a dev response.

I liked wildstar's telegraph system. The only thing they nailed in that game.

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

Woa, woa, telegraph system confirmed off? Why? Where? I looked, but I can't find a link with a dev quote on this. The search option is awesome on this forum, but there is a lot of chaff and telegraph hate to dig through to find a dev response.

I liked wildstar's telegraph system. The only thing they nailed in that game.

You like running around staring at the ground?