Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you don't know what an API is go here a small definition:

API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. The API specifies how software components should interact and APIs are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components.

If you want to learn more go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

I would love to see an API system like Eve Online or what League of Legends where we the players could make app and programs to help other players in things like skill training, player info, market info or even info about past world info like things like who go the kills or what guilds got the most point in X or something like that.

One of the most used and must have programs for when playing Eve Online that a group of people made is EveMon: http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

It lets you keep track of what you are currently traing, how long it is going to take to train till it is down, lets you do skill plans and tells you how long it is going to take to finsh training, see in game mail and so much more. If you want to learn waht Eve API can do go here to learn more: http://wiki.eve-id.net/API

Websites like LolKing uses Riots API to get players info and stats on games, so that others can look up people. A lot of websites for LoL won't really be around if it wasn't for their API. If you want to learn more on what Riot API can do go here: https://developer.riotgames.com/

I believe if Crowfall had API systam that 3rd partys could create some kickbutt programs that can help everyone in the game.

This has been bounced around a few times over the past few months.  Unfortunately, you can't find the threads on 3 letters. :(  It'll be awhile before we see anything on this.  Pre-alpha hasn't even started yet.  Rest assured, that the devs are aware of the community's desire for an API for 3rd party development.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

This has been bounced around a few times over the past few months.  Unfortunately, you can't find the threads on 3 letters. :(  It'll be awhile before we see anything on this.  Pre-alpha hasn't even started yet.  Rest assured, that the devs are aware of the community's desire for an API for 3rd party development.

Ah okay ya before I made the topic I did try to search for a thread to see if one was already made and it turned up nothing. That is good to hear that the devs are aware of the community's desire for an API system. Thanks. :D

Edited by Nex

You mean releasing API to public and support for modding?

It would be back end server API, so that you could get info about the character. No a client side API for modding.

Would be awesome to have a REST API to get character infomation.

That one be one of the first things I would want from an API system for the game. Give me kill info, death info, skills trained and what level. I would die for it.

That one be one of the first things I would want from an API system for the game. Give me kill info, death info, skills trained and what level. I would die for it.

We don't need another K/D ratio inflamed discussion.  In the following (older) thread, you'll see the K/D ratio debate flame up and the reasons why it'll be bad for CF:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/

You will find the entire discussion weaving in/out of K/D ratios and pros/cons of APIs.  I chimed in with my API thoughts around page 21 here:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/?p=136359

Personally, I don't want to see K/D ratios either, they significantly damper strategic PvP sandboxes.  I recommend reading through that entire thread before really going further with this one.

We don't need another K/D ratio inflamed discussion.  In the following (older) thread, you'll see the K/D ratio debate flame up and the reasons why it'll be bad for CF:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/

You will find the entire discussion weaving in/out of K/D ratios and pros/cons of APIs.  I chimed in with my API thoughts around page 21 here:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5575-player-experience-self-policing-suggestion-thread/?p=136359

Personally, I don't want to see K/D ratios either, they significantly damper strategic PvP sandboxes.  I recommend reading through that entire thread before really going further with this one.

When I was typing that out kill/death info reply in my head I was picturing something like https://zkillboard.com/ for Eve Online. Seeing as when you die in Crowfall you'll drop whats in your inventory and/or equipped item I think someone could make something like zKillboard, but for Crowfall. Where players can go and post their kill and death info, and other players can come and look at them, to see what they were using and see if it could work for them too. When I'm looking for a new ship fit in Eve I always look on zKillboard and see what other players are using. If I see someone with a lot of kills with the ship I want to pvp in I'll go to their profile on zKilloard to see if they have any deaths in that ship to see what they were using. Eve Online is I say the top when it comes to strategic PvP sandbox games and their kill info API doesn't put any damper on them it what so ever. Yes people like to show off their ePeen with K/D ratios nothing anyone does is going to stop that, but I see it as a learning opportunity for other players to see why that person is doing good or why they that person did bad with a said build, yes player skill plays a part in it, but so is that gear. Thanks for the links I'll look at them once I get some time.

When I was typing that out kill/death info reply in my head I was picturing something like https://zkillboard.com/ for Eve Online. Seeing as when you die in Crowfall you'll drop whats in your inventory and/or equipped item I think someone could make something like zKillboard, but for Crowfall. Where players can go and post their kill and death info, and other players can come and look at them, to see what they were using and see if it could work for them too. When I'm looking for a new ship fit in Eve I always look on zKillboard and see what other players are using. If I see someone with a lot of kills with the ship I want to pvp in I'll go to their profile on zKilloard to see if they have any deaths in that ship to see what they were using. Eve Online is I say the top when it comes to strategic PvP sandbox games and their kill info API doesn't put any damper on them it what so ever. Yes people like to show off their ePeen with K/D ratios nothing anyone does is going to stop that, but I see it as a learning opportunity for other players to see why that person is doing good or why they that person did bad with a said build, yes player skill plays a part in it, but so is that gear. Thanks for the links I'll look at them once I get some time.

Ah, yes, this is definitely different from K/D ratio boards, although the K/D could be derived from the same data.

Ah, yes, this is definitely different from K/D ratio boards, although the K/D could be derived from the same data.

Sadly yes it could, but I think something like zKillboard would be good for the community.

I don't want any information about my character in an API. I'd rather not have an Armory either.

With an API system like Eve's personal API, where no one will have access to your API only if you give it out to people to use.

Edited by Nex

Oh another API I would lovee to see and I bet a lot of people would want it too. Is a market API like Eve's, so that we can get prices on items in different areas/regions. People could create things like https://eve-central.com/

There have been discussions pertaining to this with quite a few negative responses because they prefer less automation and increased social.  They want the players to interact more... even to the extent of having no thrall shops, although that's a bit too far, since nobody wants to manage a shop while they're engaged in PvP in a CW.  So, there is a balance point.  Also, EvE has an in-game AH type system, where CF won't.... and for a good social reason too.  

Star Citizen will be closer to EvE as they have a full economy driven by both players and NPCs, which I'm sure they'll also have the ability for you to look up in-game the market prices.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been discussions pertaining to this with quite a few negative responses because they prefer less automation and increased social.  They want the players to interact more... even to the extent of having no thrall shops, although that's a bit too far, since nobody wants to manage a shop while they're engaged in PvP in a CW.  So, there is a balance point.  Also, EvE has an in-game AH type system, where CF won't.... and for a good social reason too.  

Star Citizen will be closer to EvE as they have a full economy driven by both players and NPCs, which I'm sure they'll also have the ability for you to look up in-game the market prices.

Eve has a NPC market (buy orders and sell orders in stations) and escrow (black market buy/sell orders). Escrow also allows for shipping of containers for those that wish to just freight stuff around or send to 0.0 (lawless space).

I hate having to sell goods in chat.  You hit up any game right now with a healthy population and you can't read chat. Imagine that in CF.  I prefer to have an NPC sell items while I'm sleeping or at work or otherwise not playing the game.  I can't see a reason for EK to not have NPC's that sell items for Crows.  

I like automated markets, such as auction houses, trade brokers, community exchanges because I don't have to be on to buy/sell an item. I don't have to hope for that 1 person to be in trade with that 1 item I need.  There's a reason we market places. There's a reason we have malls. One argument is to not have an item given to the player or even mailed but the player has to go and pick up said item.  I remember DAoC having this in their housing and it was annoying (you couldn't find the house usually) BUT it forced players to get out and visit the housing zones. Personally I like both systems. I like items posted to a AH/TB that gives me the item right there, I like the mailbox method too and I like the travel to purchase/pickup.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

With passiv training, i would love a counter to see when its finished. A market tool would also be great, to get an overview where people are sellings things and for how much.

@jetah. Don´t we have NPCs and Markets in our EK or in a land we bought in other EKs where our stuff gets sold?

PQh9UPL.png

Ace has mentioned:

• No Central AH (purely up to the players and their EKs).
  • EKs may have shops (you'll need to obtain and build the building for it) with Thrall (NPC) shopkeepers.
  • Escrow/Embargo is between the CW and EK.

It's extremely early in the development process for Ace to talk about or commit to any type of exposed API.

With/without an API, I'm sure there will be external market tools for CF, developed by players within the community.  An API would make things a lot easier though.

Ace has mentioned:

• No Central AH (purely up to the players and their EKs).
  • EKs may have shops (you'll need to obtain and build the building for it) with Thrall (NPC) shopkeepers.
  • Escrow/Embargo is between the CW and EK.

It's extremely early in the development process for Ace to talk about or commit to any type of exposed API.

With/without an API, I'm sure there will be external market tools for CF, developed by players within the community.  An API would make things a lot easier though.

Yes there isn't going to be any "central AH" in CF, but I have a feeling they may set something setup like Eve Online market system, for when it comes to areas people come to buy/sell items. In most of the solar systems in Eve they have one to a few stations in them and in these stations you can put items up for sale or buy items and see what other stations have for sale that are in the same region as you and many jumps away they are from you. This picture is a little old, but it is about the same still in Eve and within the picture you can see in the jumps column that says "Station", "System" and numbers. Station means that there are people selling said item in that system you are docked in, System means there are other stations in that solar system where people are selling that said item and the numbers mean that there are people selling that items X jumps away from the current solar system your in now. This data can be taken from an API too.

SS_0002.jpg

Now think of EKs like mini solar systems in CF where players could install a market hub building, where they and other players could use to buy/sell items. When a player in CF would open up the market window to buy at a market hub they would have something similar to Eves where it tells them; price, quantity, but most important the location and jumps/distance columns. They could see other EKs selling the same item for more or less and move their caravan over there to pickup the items if they need to and all of the same info could be provided by an API. 

Here is another way why a market API is good to have. Lets say there is some guild crafter that needs to buy 20,000 iron ingots for armor and weapons, for a up coming CW his guild is going to participate in. Now this crafter is at work and can't log into the game to check prices from within game, so he goes onto a website that gets the market API from the game and nicely formats it for him. Now with this info he can now figure out where he is going to get the iron ingots from and how he is going to plan his route over to that market hub to get them. Once he gets home he logs in go to that market hub picks up the ingots and crafts the items and now his guild is all ready for their up coming CW and at the end of the day he can thank the market API.

Something like this is done for Eve Online and that website is called Eve Central ( https://eve-central.com/ )*There are others websitres too*, you can search any item that is in game and it will grab all the data -Location, Price, Quantity- on that item and show it to you. Here is an example what something like Eve Central could offer https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=34 That is Tritanium a material that is used in all ships and modules when it comes to building them and people use millions to billions of it a day to build things. If someone had to go to each individual region/solar system to look at prices/quantity they wouldn't last old and quit. So in all a market API could be very handy for a crafter that needs a lot of materials, so that they could plan out where they are going to pick up all the materials at. But that is my two cents.