Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Felipell

Why do you stop playing a game?

My friends leave or a new awesome game comes out. I have horrible game ADD if I am not totally obsessed with the game I'm currently playing. So if an MMO fun all the time I don't last too long

Astaroth.jpg

Repetition is another big one. A reason why "gimmick" PvP games like Titanfall, Evolve and probably Splatoon are given such great ratings, but lose their fan base after about a week is because the game is fun, yes, it is good, yes, but there isn't enough to keep it sustainable. A reason why these shooters aren't beating the games like Battlefield and Call of Duty is because unlike the latter, these games rely on a single gimmick that most gamemodes rely on all using the same maps. Sure they are fun, but unlike CoD or some MMOs, certain games are fun in small quantities but over an extended period of time become was too repetitive and people ultimately get bored. It's not that the PvP is bad or the game isn't good, it is just some unknown factor of why certain games lack the ability to have a stable community.

Why I leave MMOs...

1.) Lack of meaningful open world objective based pvp

2.) Hit a queue button and wait for other people to automagically appear from various servers to do just this one thing, never talk while doing except to see "lol noob" when someone fails something and then never see any of them again.

3.) Has a "feature" that lets you be in multiple guilds (basically kills guild structure/scheduling/recruitment.. most games that allow this have PVP added as an afterthought).

4.) Stops being fun. 

Fun is subjective.  I leave when it isn't fun anymore.

mael4.jpg

Been around the MMO Block...

Sardoni

For MMO's 90% of the time it's the grind / stat disparity. I get sick of playing so that I can do what I want to do at some point in the future while slogging through boring / repetitive content in the meantime or fighting against often less skilled opponents with massive stat advantages they either bought with real life money or earned obsessing over the game for thousands of hours. Or just simply playing longer in games like EVE and Crowfall.

For non-MMO multiplayer games it's usually a feeling I'm not accomplishing anything meaningful. There is the rush of victory or an intense battle / the sting of a major defeat then it quickly fades and you move on to the next match.

The ultimate game I'm waiting on is one that offers a persistent world with meaningful crafting, economy, and territorial control where the only major stat advantages you can get comes through gear lost on death.

In the meantime Crowfall shows more promise than any other title out there other than Star Citizen.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I stopped playing World of Warcraft shortly after I hit level cap, when I realize that the game was almost entirely the same content. Dungeons & Dailies. That is, that the variety of content I had experienced before then was fairly consistent; Questing was the meat of it, broken up by occasional dungeon runs, a few daily quests and some crafting. Once you cut out the questing and crafting, it was just running dungeons to increase your gear level, to run better dungeons, for better gear. It sucked.

I stopped playing Space Station Thirteen because I felt that I'd attained complete mastery of the game, as a whole. That is, that it had nothing new to throw at me. Every situation, every catastrophe, every event, every antagonist, every combination of all of these was not only something that I'd experienced, but also something I'd done, something I knew exactly how to counter, and knew exactly how to avoid. Playing the game was still fun, but it was no longer challenging.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

The problem with games like WoW is that they don't truly begin til you hit cap, and then it is another grind to get to the stage that you truly experience the game.  I don't know how they've tuned raids in the last few expansions but raiding in WoW is significantly different from the content you will experience while leveling up.

As for the pvp, again I can't speak for how it is tuned in the last few expansions but you can't really appreciate it til you start playing vs the really good players.  It's kind of like GW2 in that way where the game is 99% terrible but if you can get to the point where you can experience that other 1% you can have a blast. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

The problem with games like WoW is that they don't truly begin til you hit cap, and then it is another grind to get to the stage that you truly experience the game.  I don't know how they've tuned raids in the last few expansions but raiding in WoW is significantly different from the content you will experience while leveling up.

As for the pvp, again I can't speak for how it is tuned in the last few expansions but you can't really appreciate it til you start playing vs the really good players.  It's kind of like GW2 in that way where the game is 99% terrible but if you can get to the point where you can experience that other 1% you can have a blast. 

Exactly; I liked the varied & interesting content I faced while on my way to the level cap. Once I hit the level cap, most of that variance went away; Crafting became tied to a daily recipe, quests no longer served any function, so all that was left was dungeons.

Why the flying custard would anybody ever play WoW for the PvP? That's like, socks, I don't even know. Like playing Counterstrike for the intellectual & strategic gameplay

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Exactly; I liked the varied & interesting content I faced while on my way to the level cap. Once I hit the level cap, most of that variance went away; Crafting became tied to a daily recipe, quests no longer served any function, so all that was left was dungeons.

Why the flying custard would anybody ever play WoW for the PvP? That's like, socks, I don't even know. Like playing Counterstrike for the intellectual & strategic gameplay

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion... but WoW pvp was probably the deepest pvp i've played in the mmorpg genre and i've played all the big pvp games (and dominated in them) , but like I said 99% of wading through crap to get to the 1% of actual good play.   

Also counter-strike has an insane level of strategy and tactics in competitive play. 

When I pvp i do it in search of the biggest challenge, I like playing vs the best players in the most competitive games. 

With ThemePark's it's kind of like... you can grind through hundreds of meaningless quests then do hundreds of matches undergeared all to become max level with the best PvP gear, then engage in tightly controlled battles with no real consequences or longterm meaning.

OR

You can play SMITE, Halo, SC2 etc. etc. etc. jump straight into the action with full stats and let skill be the sole determining factor of who wins your tightly controlled match with no longterm consequences.

Theme-park PvP is everything I hate about MMOs without any of the redeeming qualities only Open World PvP sandboxes can offer.

With ThemePark's it's kind of like... you can grind through hundreds of meaningless quests then do hundreds of matches undergeared all to become max level with the best PvP gear, then engage in tightly controlled battles with no real consequences or longterm meaning.

OR

You can play SMITE, Halo, SC2 etc. etc. etc. jump straight into the action with full stats and let skill be the sole determining factor of who wins your tightly controlled match with no longterm consequences.

Theme-park PvP is everything I hate about MMOs without any of the redeeming qualities only Open World PvP sandboxes can offer.

Well put... I want mmorpg pvp to get back to the open world and be about adapting to crazy situations...

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion... but WoW pvp was probably the deepest pvp i've played in the mmorpg genre and i've played all the big pvp games (and dominated in them) , but like I said 99% of wading through crap to get to the 1% of actual good play.   

If WoW was the best PvP you've ever had, you must've either been at arena-level (ie one of the handful of actually good people on your server), or way back in the Olde Dayes.

Do yourself a favor, go try Space Station 13. If you can stomach the ancient interface and laggy, duct-taped-together-on-nineties-era-programming, you'll find a game where you can reroute the station's disposals loop into space, then shove people in it using a jury-rigged stunprod and some quick timing. Or take over the Supply bay and use it to order and construct a DIY Gravitational Singularity kit, then use that to hold the station hostage and declare yourself the independant nation of Glorious Cargonia. Or hotwire the holodeck and use it to spawn a swarm of voracious not-holographic-at-all space carp, which you can then use as a distraction to assassinate the chemist, whose access you can then use to make thermite & super-stim pills, which you can then use to subvert the station's AI (and its legion of cyborg unpleasant people), so on and so forth.

Edited by Psyentific

If WoW was the best PvP you've ever had, you must've either been at arena-level (ie one of the handful of actually good people on your server), or way back in the Olde Dayes.

Do yourself a favor, go try Space Station 13. If you can stomach the ancient interface and laggy, duct-taped-together-on-nineties-era-programming, you'll find a game where you can reroute the station's disposals loop into space, then shove people in it using a jury-rigged stunprod and some quick timing. Or take over the Supply bay and use it to order and construct a DIY Gravitational Singularity kit, then use that to hold the station hostage and declare yourself the independant nation of Glorious Cargonia. Or hotwire the holodeck and use it to spawn a swarm of voracious not-holographic-at-all space carp, which you can then use as a distraction to assassinate the chemist, whose access you can then use to make thermite & super-stim pills, which you can then use to subvert the station's AI (and its legion of cyborg unpleasant people), so on and so forth.

It wasn't the pvp I enjoyed the most, it was just the mmorpg PvP that took the most skill.  You never forget your firsts and UO and EQ will forever feel more adventurous and amazing than time spent in something like WoW.

DFO was hands down the most skill based game I've ever tried. You are juggling drastically more abilities than any character in WoW in a full manual aim environment with controls that were extremely non-intuitive and there were no hard CCs.

Most skill based =/= best combat system but I've never played any other PvP title that holds a candle to how much skill that game required.

Edited by Andius

Well, ignoring the obvious points of "just wasn't fun", "blatant p2w" and "so bugged it is unplayable" my biggest ones would be:

Stagnation. Not necessarily of content, but also of gameplay. Burnout or simply "I've seen it all" is a very big contender.

I used to have quite a bit of fun raiding in WoW back in Vanilla and Burning Crusade, then middle of Lich King it started to get unfun... well if you as raidleader beginn many your briefings on new bosses with "this one is basically (old boss) crossed with (other old boss)" you know something is wrong.

Left shortly after cataclysm release because the dungeons were pretty meh and made me lose hope that the raids might be interesting.

PvP also became less and less interesting as they went and homogenized all the classes to make them as bland as possible.

I'm currently reaching that point in EVE. I'm a 6 year player with 2 accounts (3 for a few years) and I've pretty much done everything at this point, from claiming our own little wormhole space with a bunch of friends to owning my very own carrier. I've seen combat from accidental 1 vs 1 run-ins in wh/null/low to small scale gatecamps to fleet vs fleet combat. Heck, I've even spent some time trolling people with excessive friendlieness. I'm waiting for the sov changes and the jackdaw, but if they don't turn out extremely interesting I'll be gone in a few months.

Clueless developers are bad, too. Especially when it comes to botting and RMTs.

That was what made me leave Elder Scrolls Online early, despite quite liking Cyrodill and having a good guild. 

When hordes of bots appeared one or two days after release every single thing the devs did was a haphazard "fix" that did (obviously, to everyone with a working brain) nothing to stop botters and served only to annoy regular players. Left after suffering trough 2 months of such "patches". Spambots sometimes were around for days during the early weeks, after that they still lasted hours sometimes.

Also still salty that they managed to make my favorite daedra Meridia both a central figure to the plot and at the same time incredibly boring.

Too much difficulty is something I actually consider a plus.

Most of the time people complaining about " way too hard" are just applying the wrong tools for the wrong job and refuse to learn.

Too less difficulty is what ruined Guild wars 2 PvE for me, and combined with the rather meh WvWvW made me leave rather soon. Normal PvP was fine, but didn't quite hold me either, compared to the PvP in the first one.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

• Combat so simplistic that playing skillfully isn't possible because everyone can play near maximal levels

Game is basically a weaker copy of WoW with only a few gimmicks that don't add much to the game

No opportunity for emergent gameplay or ability to grief opposing players

Lack of seamless, open world

Poor animations that lock players out of controlling their character or animations that are too slow

Poor game performance

Lack of engaging large group activities

Boost potions

Gamble boxes

Lack of immersive world

Lack of innovation causing the game to feel stale

Overly sexualized or goofy tone to game world/characters(humor is absolutely fine, I am talking about worlds that are so fanciful or contrived that they have no consistent theme)

Leveling means questing

Lack of exploration

Too few skills accessible at once

Excessive use of weapon swap/ stance swap to limit skills

Plain world, lacking detail and objects

Difficulty modes on pve content, lack of meaning/feeling of success to overcoming challenges

Overly instanced world/dungeons

Overly balanced gameplay, no potential to find good specs/builds

Long term character advancement that makes new characters permanently weaker with no chance in hell of ever approaching power of long time players even if players dedicate themselves for months and months

Developers that cannot explain why they did something or have no purpose or goals for systems they create

Anything that gives you a bonus for doing it every day, custard that

PvP that fails to be more than death match

Edited by Approxy