Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tduran91

no subscription fee how will the game progress?

I personally beleieve a subscription fee is like investing into a game u realy like. W/o it how will the game keep funding for progression. I know they have vip subscription which is basically for behind the scene updates but i dought many ppl will subscribe to keep the money flowing.

"It's impossible" No! It's Necessary."  

I think many people will buy vip membership. a bigger problem (atleast for the first few months) could be that we all already got vip membership for months/years.

I'm personally a big fan of p2p, but time changed sadly to f2p and b2p models.

You have to keep in mind that games like World of Warcraft need to invest time, and more importantly, resources in creating new raids, skills, dungeons, expansions, zones and much more. Even EVE online brings out frequent expansions (was it once a month or once a season? i dunno). ACE will not provide any of these and so it is save to assume that their costs will be much lower and they can put more time in the acual game due to their almost self constructing campaign worlds and the player driven economy as well as the focus on PvP.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

It's 2015, subscription fees have gone the way of the dodo for any game that's not WoW (which now has a token system anyway) and FFXIV, both of which have huge publishers.

Cash shops and premium memberships ultimately generate way more revenue these days. Having a decent selection of vanity items is all a game really needs to rake in money.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

How does GW2 last?

B2P Games does have less money to spend than subscriptionbased games, but I dont really see it as a huge problem.

Mainly because the cosmetics, QoL, Dyes, and 'toys' they sold were things people wanted.

Guild Wars 2 is an example of a well executed CS.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

I just hope we can buy things directly without going through the rng boxes to get such vanity items/dyes.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

Simple. The Cash shop. Don't underestimate the amount of people that will spend tons of time and cash making their EKs look all pretty and majestic and also the desire to have every mount and mount skin available.

Depending on the popularity B2P games have the potential to make more money than a standard P2P.

Simple. The Cash shop. Don't underestimate the amount of people that will spend tons of time and cash making their EKs look all pretty and majestic and also the desire to have every mount and mount skin available.

Depending on the popularity B2P games have the potential to make more money than a standard P2P.

Agree with this!   Housing is a HUGE revenue generator.   Simply because ppl like housing.  Even if it does nothing to effect the game play.  I have seen players in Todds "middle" game HAVE to have every single new house that was introduced.   And all the "extras" ( some could only be purchased w. rl cash ) that goes along with them.   I may not understand the "why" of it but I KNOW it is a thing.  In the end, how else is the company gonna make money, really?  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

This isn't really an answerable question.  We've laid out our plans pretty clearly but only time will tell if we are on target.  The current crowdfunding population is somewhere between 1% (awesome beyond our dreams) and 5%+ (still really good for a healthy/profitable Crowfall) of the potential audience, so the extras early backers get should not be that material to the long term health of the game.  No game survives that can't attract new players is our starting point, so we have to be somewhere between a great and awesome quality level to attract a good chunk of PvP-oriented players.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

From what I have heard in the past, PvE is the most expensive part of a MMO - Crowfall's focus is on PvP with a small PvE element so the costs should not be as great as say a Roller Coaster - quest chain game like WoW.

Right, creating quests and other tedious aspects like dungeons and raids is what takes most of the money and time. Iv only played mmo rpgs tht have had subscriptions so i am just a bit worried is all. Any game that strays away from WoWs out of date structure is worth puting my money into.

On a side note i totally agree a cash shop will help keep the game funded. Look at all mobas LOL Dota so on... they make all their money of there shop and they make millions probably billions. I really want this game to suceed And for it to be something new. Not the same garbage these big companies have bin feeding us for the past 10 years.

In other news: WildStar is going F2P with a optional sub.

SWTOR has been F2P with an optional sub for years.

It's a proven model.

I've got...I don't even know...6 years of VIP at my backer level I think?  I'm sure I'll be perusing a cash shop as well as I tend to have disposable income and like shiny bits and pieces in the games I play. 

If they continue to improve the game over the years and I keep on playing/coming back when I can, I'll support them.

One attitude that really gets under my skin is the people playing a F2P game complaining about people giving a developer money for little bits and pieces.  How are the servers staying up if a certain percentage of the game's population doesn't contribute?  "Oh, I'll never buy things out of the cash shop when I can go and earn similar out of 'x instance' or completing 'x achievement'."  Fees like a taxpayer talking to a welfare recipient about the virtues of keeping things funded.

aequilS271f.jpg

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

One attitude that really gets under my skin is the people playing a F2P game complaining about people giving a developer money for little bits and pieces.  How are the servers staying up if a certain percentage of the game's population doesn't contribute?  "Oh, I'll never buy things out of the cash shop when I can go and earn similar out of 'x instance' or completing 'x achievement'."  Fees like a taxpayer talking to a welfare recipient about the virtues of keeping things funded.

aequilS271f.jpg

There will always be people with this kind of attitude. As long as we have an abundance of people wh o will support the game we should be good. Once the game comes out and everyone sees how great it is more will come. "If you build it 'they' will come.'

How does GW2 last?

B2P Games does have less money to spend than subscriptionbased games, but I dont really see it as a huge problem.

They last because while they aren't developing a expansion the cash shop supports them just fine, but once they start working on an expansion they ask NCSoft for money. Source: I have a friend that works at ANet and they helped work on the Heart of Throns expansion.

In other news: WildStar is going F2P with a optional sub.

SWTOR has been F2P with an optional sub for years.

It's a proven model.

This was my thoughts exactly! It can work running Subscription alongside F2P....Even though I stopped playing SWTOR among my gaming community it seems to be going strength to strength!

3e1fe97e6f8cb8b5d3e53745cdedd75a67909c97

Follow Us On Twitter ~ @SerratedGuild