Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wildstar - Free to play

rubixroll

Wildstar is finally dropping the sub model and going free to play.

Its really a shame but I guess it had to happen eventually, people were simply not playing the game and the subscriber number kept dropping.

Here's the full announcement in case anybody is interested http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-05-28-wildstar-is-going-free-to-play-heres-all-you-need-to-know/

Edited by rubixroll

Honestly it should have started that way. Why any game thinks they can survive with sub only is mind boggling.

Although having said that FFXIV is actually doing pretty well with sub only model. its not WoW lvl by any means but its got a healthy and steady population.

Edited by pang

Well, they made the right decision. That game has potential, but it needed to be supported more. And people are really bored of this subscription model. It works for WoW because WoW is the king.

Well a lot of me people (me included) prefer the sub model.

The main problem is that there is simply too much competition for a sub model to be competitive in the market unless you have a big franchise like Warcraft or Final Fantasy. However, its not just WoW and FFXiV that are doing well under sub, EvE online, the most successful sandbox of all time also operates under a sub and the subscribers keep rising. Without going too far, Camelot Unchained which is also a hardcore pvp MMO like Crowfall and was funded by Kickstarter is also going to be a sub game.

Edited by rubixroll

Well a lot of me people (me included) prefer the sub model.

The main problem is that there is simply too much competition for a sub model to be competitive in the market unless you have a big franchise like Warcraft or Final Fantasy. However, its not just WoW and FFXiV that are doing well under sub, EvE online, the most successful sandbox of all time also operates under a sub and the subscribers keep rising. Without going too far, Camelot Unchained which is also a hardcore pvp MMO like Crowfall and was funded by Kickstarter is also going to be a sub game.

Except the fact that crowfall is not going to be sub game? Its going to be B2P with Preminium (VIP)

So far the reception in the WildStar community seems positive, with some exceptions. I don't see how they could have continued as a sub game, given the population problems. Hopefully they stay true to a non-pay2win cash shop and they can step up the speed of new content. Theme parks without new content bleed players insanely fast.

So far the reception in the WildStar community seems positive, with some exceptions. I don't see how they could have continued as a sub game, given the population problems. Hopefully they stay true to a non-pay2win cash shop and they can step up the speed of new content. Theme parks without new content bleed players insanely fast.

In my opinion even themeparks should have some kind of content-generation system. It just takes away alot of load while constantly keeping game fun-to-play.

I tried the free trial and it is pretty frickin' amazing. Looks like they've done a crapload of ironing out of the game the past year, and it is definitely ready now for a re-launch. Really awesome so far.

aS52sKM.jpg

For PvE, i enjoyed it. I quit because it lacked content. When i dropped my sub, i planned to go back after a couple of content drops.

The PvP was non existent.

Well, i enjoyed PvP alot with Esper :P , it was a bit unbalanced, you must try it with the 'op' class.

Well, i enjoyed PvP alot with Esper :P , it was a bit unbalanced, you must try it with the 'op' class.

I played a few PvP matches when I first started, but PvP died quickly. I'd queue for a match and 3-4 hours later, I'd still be waiting in the queue.

I played the game from open beta up until just after the mega server merge, and then went back a few months ago to see what was fixed or not fixed.  Not much was fixed.  

The game was touted as a hardcore PVE game; which was fine and was going well.  Until they started caving to the demands of the carebears to make content gating easier.  This drove away the more hardcore crowd; which was the bulk of their subscribers.

Horrendous bugs, and terrible class developers did not help their cause either.  As a developer, if the class you're responsible for suffers from major game mechanic bugs making them unplayable, but you spend the bulk of your time playing the game as a different class, posting in other class forums while ignoring the one you're responsible for, and providing false promises of bug fixes when you do respond you're doing it wrong.

It'll go F2P, and then die out in a couple years.

Edited by scribbles

[@--(o.O)@]