Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat: Finding the fun - Official discussion thread

Will there be "Meurtrières" provided in walls ?

Meurtrières  => Windows, vertical slot in a fortification wall to throw projectiles or shoot

attackers

Sorry for my english, I'm French ^^

Sounds like some mighty gorgeous grey boxes :)

I'm definitely going to keep hundreds of screenshots and recordings of my time testing the game as it comes to life  B)

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

I was refreshing the main page all morning just for this information!

- Guess my profile picture was too much for the forum Mod... I best leave it blank I already picked the least offensive one I had!

There is gold right here. We just need to dig for it.

And then we'll make coins out of it  :D See, I can be light-hearted, too  ;)

I'm pleased to see this approach. It's funny; for years and years, game developers have been telling me that making games is totally different from making other kinds of software. Yet, good game development practices keep moving closer and closer to good software development practices. Fail Fast and the Kraljic Model are valuable principles in software development. They are, of course, just as valuable in game development.

This update makes me happy. Ruby upgrade validated.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Why was Tetris fun?  It’s hard to put a finger on exactly why this combination of elements was more fun than all of the other ‘falling pieces’ games that came before (or, frankly, since).

There actually is a theory about this.  It turns out that Tetris is in a category of problem called NP-complete. NP-complete problems are a set of problems that have certain characteristics that include complicated to solve, but easy to tell if it is solved.  Other popular games that are NP-complete include Minesweeper and Sudoku.

It turns out that many RPGs and MMOs also include an NP-Complete aspect, usually involving the most famous NP-complete problem called the Travelling Salesman problem.  The basic idea behind the travelling salesman is that you want to find the most efficient way to visit a bunch of cities on a map without having to do too much backtracking.  A good example of this is Heros of Might and Magic where you steer your heroes from one resource or treasure to another trying to waste as little movement as possible.

Examples of games that suffer because they avoid the NP-complete complexity are Bioware RPGs and Neverwinter Online.  These game have linear gameplay, where you have a linear path and there are no efficiency decisions to be made.   In trying to tell a story in a linear fashion, these games severely limit their longevity.

So, if you want your game to hold people's interest for a long time, make sure it has an NP-complete aspect to it!

It turns out that Tetris is in a category of problem called NP-complete.

Dear Lord,

Save me from Computer Science majors.

Amen

:P

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Dear Lord,

Save me from Computer Science majors.

Amen

:P

I had a professor who specialized in NP related problems.  It was such a pain once he got started.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

As I'm not able to read articles from my work computer, I just read through this and have some thoughts.

1. Everyone from ACE that I've heard speak about Crowfall has come across as the most down to earth and blue collar developer as I've come across in the past 10 years.  I mean that in the best of ways.  They may be dreamers, but their goals for Crowfall are tangible and able to be achieved through the technology they have.

I've witnessed companies who's development teams have promised everything in the world and half the moon, but only delivered Rhode Island.  I've witnessed dev teams from the very beginning happily agree with their testing community, but then ignore the importance of features.  I've witnessed dev teams who simply fell prey to the power trip that comes from having so many people look up to you. I can't champion the team, the vision, and the work of ACE enough.

2. Artcraft is preparing us all for what to expect in Alpha in order to skirt the issues that SOE had with H1Z1.  Yes, many understand that the game is in development, but after dropping hundreds of dollars on it, quite a few expect immediate rewards for their investment.  These styles of posts are an excellent way to introduce their core audience slowly into pre-alpha/alpha 1 environments and setting the focus on function, not appearance.

3. In the United States Marine Corps, there is a term often used by Marines when on the rifle range working on their marksmanship.  "Bold Adjustments"  What that phrase means is that you could be shooting WAY to the right of the target and not know how far back to the left you need to adjust your sights.  Instead of just adjusting it one or two clicks at a time, the concept is that you make a bold adjustment that should put you as close to the target as you think you should be.  Even if you end up WIDE LEFT, you can then quickly and easily pinpoint how far back you need to go to get into the black.

ACE seems willing to take this approach.  Instead of spending a ton of time on muscling their game in the right direction, they'll simply see what works, and change it if it doesn't.  This seems pretty self explanatory, but how often have you witnessed a game launch with things that just really didn't fit or work right?

Anyway, a longer post than probably needed, but hey... people are likely used to it by now.

Edited by valor

Good update! I like the look of the keep, and can't wait to see more.

With that said, I hope all of the ACE team and their families as well as other Crows in Texas are safe and dry!

Keep up the good work ladies and gents.

I can´t wait to be apart of this great development progress, I agree with every aspect of your way to find the fun. I´ll do my best to be a good alpha tester later this summer, see you in game soon? 

Arro

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

All good language as usual, I just hope they still have a plan to have meaningful collision and friendly fire when they finish :]

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

The Walls of the Keep seem to be too thick.

I hope the combat would be well balanced and not fast. Skill should be needed and not just a macro button 1 2 3 and again. The animation speed should be moderate as well so the opposite player could easily recognize what the enemy is doing and how to counter it.

This would make the combat to feel just right...

Edited by Azeron