Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Druid Combat Ideas - The "Builder" and "Building buffer"

RKNM

Seeing as there has been a lot of talk about combat lately, thought I'd start some rampant speculation and blatant endorsement of my ideas of what playing the support class of druid might be like. XP

TLDR:

-Druid archetype as a "builder class" creating terrain and fields that hinder enemies advances, while buffing and supporting allies

-Druid serving a niche role in supporting structures as well as allies, and offering them additional properties and effects

-Druid would follow a role/flavor of duality: support allies and structures, or weaken enemies and their defenses, with many spells having a benign or hostile options/effects

-How Druids would interact with other archetypes (from my speculation and vision), particularly the Forgemaster and Confessor

Let's start with the support role of the druid. Healing has already been ruled out as a form of support (which stings as a healer and support main, but I can live with and respect the decision). So starting with their promise of collision detection in the game, as well as their emphasis on destructibility, I'd like to see the support role as being the "builder role" of the classes, and fill that niche of creating things rapidly to impede enemies and offer allies a physical tactical advantage. This whole role as being a builder class is how I've structured my idea, so that's what I'll be revolving my ideas around.

So my idea of the Druid is what I like to think of as a "mage tank." In that, while the mage/druid himself is squishy and direct damage is limited, his spells revolve around creating terrain factors that peel attacking enemies from allies or impede their advances. This makes him a priority target for enemies to remove his harassing debuffs and obstacles. For those of you familiar with League of Legends, think Anivia's Crystallize/Ice Wall and Glacial Storm or Azir's Arise! and Emperor's Divide. These obstacles can trap another player, isolate them from their team, or separate an enemy from an ally in distress by making a physical barrier or creating fields of pressure that threaten and hinder an enemies advance. This would also work for the Druid in that her creations could also serve to support her party's structures or create paths of safety for her caravans through her use of forest and nature magic.

I'd like to see the Druid revolve around such mechanics such as creating supportive environmental factors and terrain that favors her allies and hinders or weakens her enemies. For example, creating a field of raging roots or savage vines that ensnare her enemies while speeding up her allies, or a wall of trees and vines to separate and block enemies from her allies or even herself, or using these vines to fling enemies and allies a short distance, giving her a means to escape or create space between her and danger while setting up enemies in compromising positions. Most of these structures could be hacked or burned away by diligent enemies, but most of these structures would force opposing players to decide whether to ignore them and press on, go around them, or destroy them as quickly as possible to deny her a resource. 

These spells wouldn't only just affect her allies and enemies, but also the structures around her as well, giving her a duality in her role, allowing her to choose whether to be hostile or benign with her spells and how they affect her allies and enemies. For example, her vine spell could have 2 roles: benign hastens her allies and strengthens a friendly building, giving it more support and durability by keeping material together; hostile would ensnare and damage her enemies while also weakening enemy structures and make them more affected by damage, like wisteria vines on a stone building. Another example could be in the form of adding properties to structures and allies. For example, a spell that creates thorns could be used to give allies additional damage when they hit or get hit by melee attacks, or could be used on an existing building or foliage she has summoned to deal damage to enemies that pass close to it or attack it.

So the Druid centers around her abilities to create structures and environments which can either buff players and structures, or hinder and weaken enemies and their constructs. This duality forms a core aspect of her personality and flavor, being both and supporter or a hindrance, helping her allies or the tending her defenses, hindering her attackers or weakening their structures.

In terms of how she would interact with other classes, she would be a welcome addition to any party because of her utility both on the battlefield and fortifying the defenses on top of her AOE support capabilities and harass techniques. What would set her apart from the Forgemaster archetype as a fellow support role is her emphasis on AOE fields and obstacles, designed to buff/hinder multiple players while her obstacles are designed to hinder or impede several enemies at once. Notice I avoid using the word block: this is because (as I envision/speculate it) this would be reserved for the Forgemaster Archetype. Where the Druid focuses on soft buffs and debuffs to handle groups of enemies and allies, the Forgemaster's abilities would be more dramatic and obvious, creating hard objects that would directly stop and block enemies while dramatically buffing/debuffing single targets (for more, see my blatant self-endorsement on the Forgemaster page). The Druid would also add properties to her buffs (such as thorns or vines) over a wide area, while the Forgemaster would just create a single object to accomplish a task. The Druid's chief competition would come in the form of the Confessor. While the druid would have abilities that would deal with ranged and melee alike, Confessors and their (suspected) high-damage, long-ranged single-target fire spells would quickly overwhelm their structures by burning them away or simply slay the druid outright through single target nukes and DOTs. Thus the druid would have to work closely with her team, or focus on keeping the confessor at bay and tied down.

Anyways, that's my take on the druid. Let me know what you think!

I like it.

Pandora Saga had a class I really liked called the Conjurer, and it did something similar.

For one it could summon stationary plants that had a variety of selectable effects ranging from applying debuffs to enemies, to weak-but-constant single target damage, to unstealthing enemies.

They could also conjure walls that were essential when dealing with lots of enemy cavalry and when defending chokepoints.

Flesh that system out, add some more utility and make it one of the druid archetype classes. (I'd play it like that)

Edited by DFDelta

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Cool ideas, creative. I'm still a sucker for WoW-type shapeshifting druids, always thought that was a cool touch. I could see something like that added in on top of what you're describing to open up a small range of specific abilities, such as a feline or deer form form for scouting/mobility (a flying form might be too unfair), maybe bear for temporary defense or hauling materials, etc.