Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benaerth

The Barren Caverns

To Ignissum's inhabitants, the Universe is a dark place, where life found itself confined in the caves of a planet too close to the sun.

Deep rivers carried the first cells from cave to cave, as life pockets grew inside the planet's scorched surface. Moss carpets these cave's grounds, turning the underground's rivers nutrients into breathable air. On the cave's ceilings, foxfire ivy's pale light shine over a wide range of ecossystems, as many as the caves that birthed life into the underground.

Inteligent life soon arose in several of these dominions, burrowing their way into other race's dominions.

The indignous civilizations often clawed their way up the rocks, only to find their curiosity lacking, as they reached the planet's uninhabitable surface. The light burns the unfortunates to reach it to a crisp, directing their explorations down to the planets core. As civilizations expanded throughout the planets history, they often reached the planet's hidden terrors, forced to retreat in haste, abandoning forts and palaces alike.

Hunger spares not even the most desolate of planets. Crows must control these caves, creating further tunnels or reopening ancient passages at their own risk. Though it may seem foolhardy to dig to the surface, as the Hunger consumes even Ignissum's sun players find that the surface becomes yet another access way to enemy bases. (Much like the sentinels in  Matrix: Reloaded [yes we know you hated it], guilds can attack from any access they create to their enemies' base - from up or from down their feet)

In this world voxel creation and destruction comes to true fruition. Can your clan handle this? 

Indigenous Races:

Aracks (Arachnid like civilization.)

Groundeceans (Underground Guinicean-like civilization - think groundhog)

Wallworm (these unintelligent creatures feed on minerals, often falling from the walls and ceilings as they encounter caves in their voyage to feed)

Feral giant moles

Vara'udul (Think Balrogs from LODR)

Etc (the mighty race of I'mnotdoingallthework)

Love the idea of an entire planetary living system completely underground.  Wallworms! (kerplop)

How do you see the Hunger/Seasons impacting the world?  There are no seasons underground so perhaps the Hunger can rise from below, forcing everyone up higher and higher until they die on the surface.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

So basically you want to see underground areas with some monsters and resources to fight over?

Sounds great, as do the other 40 threads about this!

So basically you want to see underground areas with some monsters and resources to fight over?

If we are going to expect others to search the forums and investigate so thoroughly before posting, we must put just as much thought into our own posts

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think this is more about a full on underground campaign, which is something I'm rather torn on.

While I like building some stuff in Everquest Landmarks tunnels and enjoy expeditions into them I don't want to spend my whole playtime in there.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Love the idea of an entire planetary living system completely underground.  Wallworms! (kerplop)

How do you see the Hunger/Seasons impacting the world?  There are no seasons underground so perhaps the Hunger can rise from below, forcing everyone up higher and higher until they die on the surface.

Hey Oridi! I appreciate how I always get feedback from you, eheh.

In this planet, underground doesn't mean lack of life as it does on Earth. Caves often grow rife with albino plants, and wildlife walks these caves. Even without Hunger, creatures tended to descend to the Planet's core at the peak of Summer, rising in the Winter. That is because temperature rises in the upper tiered caves faster, leading to most underground rivers drying out in upper levels in the Summer due to heat, and lower level ecossystems and rivers defreezing.

As Hunger takes hold of the planet, wildlife ascends through the tunnels. The Crows can then decide to follow them, or stay and defend their forts as the danger below increases, for the planet's horrors rise to escape the frost.

If we are going to expect others to search the forums and investigate so thoroughly before posting, we must put just as much thought into our own posts

Care to contribute or just spam post?

Benaerth, you talk a lot about monsters and creatures. Are you requesting more PvE here, or just an underground setting? You post is flowery, but beyond the description is an empty shell of unknown. Can we get some more solid points on what you are seeking?

Edited by Adall

That's quite the oversimplification, and overstatement. But hey, it's a free country x]

Stay unofficial!

Care to contribute or just spam post?

Benaerth, you talk a lot about monsters and creatures. Are you requesting more PvE here, or just an underground setting? You post is flowery, but beyond the description is an empty shell of unknown. Can we get some more solid points on what you are seeking?

Now we're talking, real criticism.

I believe either PvE or PvP requires a rich setting. I sought only to establish an empty canvas on which to build on, I'm personally a more of a RP PvP player, and would love to be in such an alien place as a dark place in which a luminescence biosphere thrived, and entire civilizations carved their way around the planet.

It is an empty shell. The whole of Crowfall is an empty shell, that we're suppose to fill in with our play experience as we go.

Are there any solid questions you want answered?

In this planet, underground doesn't mean lack of life as it does on Earth. Caves often grow rife with albino plants, and wildlife walks these caves. Even without Hunger, creatures tended to descend to the Planet's core at the peak of Summer, rising in the Winter. That is because temperature rises in the upper tiered caves faster, leading to most underground rivers drying out in upper levels in the Summer due to heat, and lower level ecossystems and rivers defreezing.

As Hunger takes hold of the planet, wildlife ascends through the tunnels. The Crows can then decide to follow them, or stay and defend their forts as the danger below increases, for the planet's horrors rise to escape the frost.

IMO, the animals , as previously stated by the devs, are there to increase the "risk" to players, not to mimic actual animal behavior.  Therefore I can not see then descending underground due to season, climate, etc.............independent of what the player behavior is. Could they attack a group of miners in a cave?  I see that happening.

We don't know enough about the Hunger yet to even predict what form, shape , appearance it will take on the world.   And what triggers it to appear.   In my minds eye I see it as a flickering blue light of sorts ( thanks , oridi!  can't shake that image).  So much more is needed in info to first determine how it impacts the terrain and how it spreads to the creatures then players.  We will need to wait for moar info.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Now we're talking, real criticism.

I believe either PvE or PvP requires a rich setting. I sought only to establish an empty canvas on which to build on, I'm personally a more of a RP PvP player, and would love to be in such an alien place as a dark place in which a luminescence biosphere thrived, and entire civilizations carved their way around the planet.

It is an empty shell. The whole of Crowfall is an empty shell, that we're suppose to fill in with our play experience as we go.

Are there any solid questions you want answered?

Yeah, tie it into the game now. Is this a campaign format? A rich world is great and I hope each one will be lively. I suppose if you are going to make a suggestion, you should flesh it out. Be specific about what you want and tie it into the game as much as possible.

Honestly thought this was just posted in the wrong section for the first few minutes! Just trying to understand more of what you are after!

IMO, the animals , as previously stated by the devs, are there to increase the "risk" to players, not to mimic actual animal behavior.  Therefore I can not see then descending underground due to season, climate, etc.............independent of what the player behavior is. Could they attack a group of miners in a cave?  I see that happening.

We don't know enough about the Hunger yet to even predict what form, shape , appearance it will take on the world.   And what triggers it to appear.   In my minds eye I see it as a flickering blue light of sorts ( thanks , oridi!  can't shake that image).  So much more is needed in info to first determine how it impacts the terrain and how it spreads to the creatures then players.  We will need to wait for moar info.  

Migrating could be done as simply as adjusting the creature's spawn coordinates as seasons go.

Yeah, tie it into the game now. Is this a campaign format? A rich world is great and I hope each one will be lively. I suppose if you are going to make a suggestion, you should flesh it out. Be specific about what you want and tie it into the game as much as possible.

Honestly thought this was just posted in the wrong section for the first few minutes! Just trying to understand more of what you are after!

Crowfall's universe will be (hopefully) made up of dozens of worlds, some of which are the archetypes homeworlds, some of which are not. I do hope each one gives a distinct gameplay experience. This idea is an effort of that, of giving yet another world to feel around. A different sort of world, even.

It's not a gameplay feature, but if new races and new worlds weren't supposed to fall into the "Suggestion Box" forums, about half the topics wouldn't have been created in the first place.

I do feel strange having to explain this to someone. Maybe I'm just not understanding something in this conversation.

Migrating could be done as simply as adjusting the creature's spawn coordinates as seasons go.

Crowfall's universe will be (hopefully) made up of dozens of worlds, some of which are the archetypes homeworlds, some of which are not. I do hope each one gives a distinct gameplay experience. This idea is an effort of that, of giving yet another world to feel around. A different sort of world, even.

It's not a gameplay feature, but if new races and new worlds weren't supposed to fall into the "Suggestion Box" forums, about half the topics wouldn't have been created in the first place.

I do feel strange having to explain this to someone. Maybe I'm just not understanding something in this conversation.

Just not sure how you wanted it to be. A single world style or something that is part of all worlds. Sounds wonderful, unfortunately we will not see anything like this until long after release :/

Just not sure how you wanted it to be. A single world style or something that is part of all worlds. Sounds wonderful, unfortunately we will not see anything like this until long after release :/

Single world. That maybe true, but you have to throw some clay at the wall and see what sticks (not sure this translates well into english), for future development.

The clay being ideas and the wall being Artcraft's minds, that is.

Single world. That maybe true, but you have to throw some clay at the wall and see what sticks (not sure this translates well into english), for future development.

The clay being ideas and the wall being Artcraft's minds, that is.

Of course you do

As the designated digging Archetyp I am full out on a underground world / campaign. I am too a RPer and like the feel and image of a kind of cold, dead yet solitude world where everything is kinda off and feels uncanny. Kind of a horror world where your mind is your biggest threat.

Wasnt it that with advancing seasons the game will get harder? A bit uncreative but simple: the soil gets harder to dig through.

Single world. That maybe true, but you have to throw some clay at the wall and see what sticks 

I love that phrase, will use it sometimes ^^ From which languages did you translate it?

I AM ME!
I love you all.

An entire campaign being wholly underground would create entirely new problems, and new tactics. I like this.

Earth actually has a robust ecosystem underground in the first mile. It would be interesting to have a campaign module where the surface is uninhabitable and we are forced to be underground. The hunger spreads from the surface down, destroying and corrupting as it goes. Forcing us to keep moving down till we get as far as we can, removing resources and fighting each other till the hunger gets to close and we bail out to let the world shatter.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Yeah, the idea of an underground world seems really fun. No new races required, though, I think.

Particularly, I feel underground worlds should be ore-rich but sparse in things like water and food, at least on the surface. It'd be a wholly different way to survive and thrive and fight, with a harsher environment but greater rewards should you make it through to the winter.