Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oridi

Hey - the quest thing has shown up again! Will there be quests?

Soooo I know this has been hashed out and over done but it's come up again and trying to wade through 87 billion posts and interviews has this lazy poster just overwhelmed. (That last part is best if you read it with a southern accent.)

Will there be quests in Crowfall?

We have quotes that say no raids or dungeons in the FAQ's but nothing there that says there shalt not be quests!

By quests I mean specific tasks assigned by the game that require players to perform certain actions (kill 10 pigs!) in order to advance in their skill level or win a reward/item.

Things like exploration badges or killing a huge boss that you come across randomly on your own don't count as quests IMO.  I'm talking about specific tasks that are assigned by the game to players.

Thanks!

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I think it'd be cool to see some achievement or bounty-based "quests"  to give players who pursue them some bonus experience, gold, resources, etc. Kinda like Destiny, whereas bounties aren't necessarily a requirement for PVP, but sort of "icing on the cake" to make things interesting and give players something to shoot for even if victory itself is a distant hope. I'm willing to bet that the campaign objectives will bring enough to the table, but sometimes better too much than not enough.

I think it'd be cool to see some achievement or bounty-based "quests"  to give players who pursue them some bonus experience, gold, resources, etc. Kinda like Destiny, whereas bounties aren't necessarily a requirement for PVP, but sort of "icing on the cake" to make things interesting and give players something to shoot for even if victory itself is a distant hope. I'm willing to bet that the campaign objectives will bring enough to the table, but sometimes better too much than not enough.

Agreed... quests can be used to enhance play sessions... it just becomes dangerous when they become too overbearing like a chore. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

This thread is actually meant for the devs to answer rather than being a wishlist tbh.   Let's give them a chance to see it and respond before the question "are there quests?" turns into a discussion of "should there be quests?". 

We've got another thread here that is discussing that already and I'm lazy and don't want to debate in 2 different places :-).

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

This thread is actually meant for the devs to answer rather than being a wishlist tbh.   Let's give them a chance to see it and respond before the question "are there quests?" turns into a discussion of "should there be quests?". 

We've got another thread here that is discussing that already and I'm lazy and don't want to debate in 2 different places :-).

A good way to make them see the thread faster is to get it on the New Feed more! :D

This answer is stickied at the top of this forum.

No quest givers, no non-player managed vendors is what we are looking toward right now.

There will be various npcs around but primarily combat based.

The design intent is for all gameplay content to be systemic (world resources and campaign rules) or player-generated. There will be no NPC assigned tasks.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This answer is stickied at the top of this forum.

The design intent is for all gameplay content to be systemic (world resources and campaign rules) or player-generated. There will be no NPC assigned tasks.

NPCs are no longer the only way games give you quests though....

No. Killing mobs should be strictly for crafting mats.

Could they do kill based achievements? Sure, I guess.

But from what I can tell, CF will be based off player interaction. Meaning you'll have to set your own quest. (Goals and the like.)

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

NPCs are no longer the only way games give you quests though....

When they say "no quest givers" don't think they have to mean only from NPCs.

There at most might be an achievement system that tally's bench marks as you play but as of now there are no quests or questing system in this game.

When they say "no quest givers" don't think they have to mean only from NPCs.

There at most might be an achievement system that tally's bench marks as you play but as of now there are no quests or questing system in this game.

They don't have to only mean in the form of NPCs, but in the context of the thread it's talking about NPCs....  Maybe they have zero intentions of having quests at all... maybe they are undecided... until there is a definitive answer I think it is something worth discussing, and even if they did give a definitive answer the merits might still be worth discussing.

heh, "no quest givers" is good enough for me to get the hint that no there isn't a traditional quest system were you're asked to kill rats for exp. Also the game is skill based so there are no class lvls as most of the training is done passively. So again no need for a quest system.

Edited by pang

heh, "no quest givers" is good enough for me to get the hint that no there isn't a traditional quest system were you're asked to kill rats for exp. Also the game is skill based so there are no class lvls as most of the training is done passively. So again no need for a quest system.

What is a traditional quest system though?  Most mmorpgs have anything from extremely different takes to slight differences in their quest systems.  In EQ quests were few and far between, in WoW they became the main way of level progression. 

It's obvious this game isn't going to be some sort of quest grinder, but that doesn't mean it can't have any quests.  Quests can be used for all sorts of things. 

I'm slightly curious if there will be dungeons in this game as well, but they just call them something else.  If done right, those can be a lot of fun and can be used for all sorts of stuff.

non-instanced open world caves with resource nodes and mobs to kill to get to them sure. Anything else nope.

It's ok Pang.  We all agree.   But regardless, VN has stated that even IF ACE comes into this very thread and gives a definitive NO, NOT EVER answer he will still continue to discuss it.  Why?   I guess he knows better than ACE how to build the game THEY are building.  The one THEY want to play.  The one that the vision was about.  

ACE has clearly stated all along they know what kind of game they are building and what "niche" they are aiming for.   They don't ever say that the ideas don't bear merit, just perhaps not for this game.  

Said very eloquently in this very post by JTC when PVE campaigns we discussed ad nauseum  http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4401-will-there-be-any-pve-campaigns/?p=104952

"3) Every game is defined by two things: what it claims to be, and what it claims NOT to be.  if you claim that a game is everything, and you end up with a fuzzy mess that will appeal to no one.  (which almost doesn't matter, because you'll likely never launch it, anyway.)"

I am thinking VN has a plethora of ideas that he believes would work better than what ACE wants their game to be.  And I respect that.   And I think he should go out, get funding and make HIS game.  The way he wants it.  Until then, we have Crowfall, ACE's game.  Their way.   For most of us, that is enough.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

It's ok Pang.  We all agree.   But regardless, VN has stated that even IF ACE comes into this very thread and gives a definitive NO, NOT EVER answer he will still continue to discuss it.  Why?   I guess he knows better than ACE how to build the game THEY are building.  The one THEY want to play.  The one that the vision was about.  

ACE has clearly stated all along they know what kind of game they are building and what "niche" they are aiming for.   They don't ever say that the ideas don't bear merit, just perhaps not for this game.  

Said very eloquently in this very post by JTC when PVE campaigns we discussed ad nauseum  http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/4401-will-there-be-any-pve-campaigns/?p=104952

"3) Every game is defined by two things: what it claims to be, and what it claims NOT to be.  if you claim that a game is everything, and you end up with a fuzzy mess that will appeal to no one.  (which almost doesn't matter, because you'll likely never launch it, anyway.)"

I am thinking VN has a plethora of ideas that he believes would work better than what ACE wants their game to be.  And I respect that.   And I think he should go out, get funding and make HIS game.  The way he wants it.  Until then, we have Crowfall, ACE's game.  Their way.   For most of us, that is enough.  

Maybe the point of discussing the development of a game is to discuss the development of the game, ideas they should embrace, ideas they shouldn't and everyone's opinions tied to that. 

I remember when their kickstarter vid came out... Some people were wise enough to say telegraphs are crap.... some people cried and claimed it was part of their vision and if you didn't like telegraphs you should go make your own game.  We saw what kind of course telegraphs ran.

JTC has openly admitted they will try ideas that may fail, they may have to change things, hell in one of the recent updates he talks about not being afraid to mess up, but to move past ideas that won't work quickly. 

Edit:  Now ew all know why you've made this post... you have an axe to grind with me, but your logic is flawed on this one... There will be things ACE tries that will not work out, there will be things that change from their original vision, because they know they are not perfect, and they know they must constantly progress..

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Things within the vision. Read the quote ellie posted its stated clearly. That and other posts from JTC. They will try things that are within their design concept but no at no point will they try PvE Campaigns or a quest based system or any other equally outlandish idea to the main concept of the game.

Edited by pang

Things within the vision. Read the quote ellie posted its stated clearly. That and other posts from JTC. They will try things that are within their design concept but no at no point will they try PvE Campaigns or a quest based system.

Would you say telegraphs were in their vision?  No... Their vision is for combat to be fun, take skill, but not be too twitchy... so they experimented with telegraphs. 

They may have an overall vision of what they want their game to be, they haven't hammered out all of the specifics yet... which is what we get to help them build on.