Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woodtick

Hello Folks

Hello Folks

Finally I have some time to breath so I figured it was time to say hello to the Crowfall community and poke my head up from my work. 

I have been involved in games all my life. Everything from paper and board games through Muds, Mushes, and Muses to MMORPGs. I have play tested games from Turbine, Blizzard, EA, Lucas Arts and many others. 

I teach traditional and digital visual arts specializing in printing and paper media. I like to use the arts as a means of teaching people to think in a creative manner. I have been involved in technology for a good number of years. I remember Tandy TRS-80's, card readers, and 8" floppy drives. 

Currently I am designing curriculum to teach basic coding, product design, and prototyping using 3-printers. 

I am looking forward to Crowfall and meeting some like minded peers and above all having some fun. I need the down time from work to recharge my spirit.

Cheers

Jebidiah Woodtick

It’s a dangerous business going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to. - Bilbo

Most welcome to try Adall.

Cheers

It’s a dangerous business going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to. - Bilbo

Welcome Jeb! I look forward to killing you, often!

Oh is that what they're calling it these days?

Fresh.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Welcome to the forums!

I teach traditional and digital visual arts specializing in printing and paper media. I like to use the arts as a means of teaching people to think in a creative manner. I have been involved in technology for a good number of years. I remember Tandy TRS-80's, card readers, and 8" floppy drives. 

Currently I am designing curriculum to teach basic coding, product design, and prototyping using 3-printers. 

If I may ask, how did you get into teaching traditional and digital visual arts, especially with you specialization?  That sounds pretty unique.

71431_original.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

If I may ask, how did you get into teaching traditional and digital visual arts, especially with you specialization?  That sounds pretty unique.

Hi Never

I was a duel major as an undergrad at Case Western Reserve University in the 80's. I was able to enroll at the Cleveland Institute of Art while attending CWRU. I was working on a major in Physics and 2-d design/education. I never thought it as a strange combination but it was a lot of work. I have always be a person who learns best working through a project. The connections between science, aesthetics, and design gave me a breadth of experiences that opened up a lot of doors. I spent a number of years in the corporate world but found it to be unsatisfying and didn't take me long to decide to go back to education. My first years in education were an eye opening experience and I discovered that those who write policy really have no clue what students need. Education is not a static experience and the needs of our youth changes as much as the aesthetics that define who we are as a society. I have taken it upon my self to design curriculum that emphasizes a flexible creative mindset. I like to use the visual arts to teach this mindset because I can easily turn STEM (science technology engineering and math) into STEAM where the A is the Arts. The arts or design aspect is where we provide a direction for intuitive creative discovery utilizing STEM as a tool that offers a purpose to students for what they are learning. Each year I add something new to what I offer to my students and next year it will be 3d digital design using the 3d printer. I plan to embed basic coding as part of the program using some Pi processors and make something unique and new. So students will be concerned about the visual appeal and functional quality of their projects. We are growing more and more visual oriented as a society and students need to know how to navigate using a visual voice.

So in short it has been an interesting road and there is still a long way to travel. I do enjoy what I do and feel it is important for the future of our youth. Hope that help explain a little of the road I have walked.

Oh...besides I like to play with mud (clay), ink, paper, and computers. Who could ask for more?

Cheers

Jebs

hello jebs and welcome to crowfall forum.

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Hello Folks

Finally I have some time to breath so I figured it was time to say hello to the Crowfall community and poke my head up from my work. 

I have been involved in games all my life. Everything from paper and board games through Muds, Mushes, and Muses to MMORPGs. I have play tested games from Turbine, Blizzard, EA, Lucas Arts and many others. 

I am looking forward to Crowfall and meeting some like minded peers and above all having some fun. I need the down time from work to recharge my spirit.

Cheers

Jebidiah Woodtick

Welcome, Jeb! I'm happy to see a fellow mountaineer and pioneering teacher join this motley congregation. 

Love your focus on curriculum design :)

"I have taken it upon my self to design curriculum that emphasizes a flexible creative mindset. I like to use the visual arts to teach this mindset because I can easily turn STEM (science technology engineering and math) into STEAM where the A is the Arts." -- Jeb

I really dig your teaching philosophy. The bleeding edge is truly the best place to be in education right now. What a view!

Edited by Iridian ShadowWeaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Great to have you with us WoodTick.

With a work schedule like yours how will you ever have time to play the game? I am wrestling with this problem myself. At least we have years to figure it out.

Warm Regards,

Mandragon

My first years in education were an eye opening experience and I discovered that those who write policy really have no clue what students need. Education is not a static experience and the needs of our youth changes as much as the aesthetics that define who we are as a society. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question Jeb.  I really appreciate it!

Also, as someone who grew up with an educator and then went on to work with educators in college, I love your comment about education not being static.  I feel like that has been a perpetual problem with our educational system in this country, specifically on the public front.  It's awesome to see people like you doing your best to adjust delivery methods and topics to an ever evolving society.  Thank you for that.

It's also nice when we get to do something we love.   :)

71431_original.jpg

Great to have you with us WoodTick.

With a work schedule like yours how will you ever have time to play the game? I am wrestling with this problem myself. At least we have years to figure it out.

Warm Regards,

Mandragon

Thanks Mandragon, and your right, there are times when game time dries up and my life is consumed by my work. Lucky I have time off during the summer and I am not in the classroom. I do spend a good chunk of the summer getting ready for the next school year but leaves me a good bit of time to play. I have found that some PvP really helps me step down from a harsh day.

Cheers

Jebs

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question Jeb.  I really appreciate it!

I don't mind at all, must be a teacher thing being used to answering questions. 

jebs