Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theomancer

Das Tal: bringing Crowfall's MMO metagame strategy to MOBA combat mechanics - the first MMOBA game

If Crowfall is "EVE Online meets Game of Thrones, with Walking Dead thrown in," to describe the sandbox gameplay, political dynamics, and survival gameplay; then Das Tal might be something like "EVE Online meets Game of Thrones, embodied through League of Legends and Dota2 combat mechanics."

They've just announced that Das Tal is going to have a 24-hour open alpha test for anyone who is interested! Check out this short video that demonstrates the MOBA-like combat of Das Tal, but conjoins it to a sandbox PvP MMO world that we love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yin403NLG0

I've played the alpha and it's pretty amazingly fun! [LoD]Obs put it well in his interview with the developers:

Alex: How much Das Tal have you played so far?

Obs: I have been involved in 5 play tests for Das Tal. Until i actually played the game, i had no interest in it. The screenshots, descriptions of it on the website, and even the videos do not do it justice. You have to actually try it to understand what makes it fun. Every single shot counts, every heal is important. You will LOSE every fight if you miss your targets and you will win against 3 to 1 odds if you land everything like a pro and work like a team. It is for this reason we still jump at the chance to play more, it’s just great PvP action and rewards skilled play like very few other games.

One of the reasons they're doing the big open alpha is because most players of Das Tal have this same experience: you have to play it to realize how amazing and cool it really is. So it'd be great to get some Crowfall players all together for the open alpha test coming up!

aS52sKM.jpg

then Das Tal might be something like "EVE Online meets Game of Thrones, embodied through League of Legends and Dota2 combat mechanics."

giphy.gif

It felt too much like old school UO when I played it, and though I have fond memories of that game I don't want to go back to that mess.

Edited by Aiona

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

It felt too much like old school UO when I played it, and though I have fond memories of that game I don't want to go back to that mess.

Hmm, interesting -- how long did you play it? Ultima Online is controlled with the mouse, like Diablo or Shadowbane. Whereas Das Tal is controlled with WASD, more like a shooter game or MMO.

Or do you mean the feel of the sandbox PvP atmosphere, maybe?

It's actually more accurate to say the combat mechanics are akin to Bloodline Champions, it sounds like. But so few people are familiar with that title, versus Dota2 and League.

In any case, they're doing an open free alpha test for anyone and everyone on June 9th, and it's a crapload of fun -- definitely worth checking out first-hand!! (see the quote from Obs above)

aS52sKM.jpg

I'm definitely hopping in on that free alpha... i'm curious what the progression is like though... can you get to a point where you are really combat effective in a day?

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I played the alpha last Sunday and it was a crapload of fun. They set up the server so everyone approximately gains background accelerated XP at the same rate, so everyone will progress the same during the alpha.

In my play session of around maybe 2 hours, I had a lot of fun with just the basic combat abilities that come with my weapon and armor. But I was very close to leveling where it'd unlock an additional 4 powers, too, I think.

Similar to how a MOBA champion has three main abilities and then the big ultimate ability, even starting at level 1 in Das Tal you have four basic abilities -- so it feels like you have a strong assortment of abilities, and abilities above and beyond that is just icing on the cake.

aS52sKM.jpg

giphy.gif

Felt more like bloodline champions meets guild wars 1 with full loot. Bought in to alpha along whole back, game has potential. Edited by helix

i just can't bring myself to the 2d thing. i mean, i loved some diablo 2, but I also loved Galaga too....

At first, I felt absolutely the same way: "2D MMO in 2015? Huge pass."

But then I realized I had the wrong mentality. When we hear "MMO," we mentally categorize the game and compare it against EverQuest, WoW, GW2, Crowfall, etc. And we see the isometric view and think it's completely outdated. But instead of an MMO, it's better to think of the game more like a MOBA that is expanded into a sandbox MMO world -- so instead, it's categorized against other isometric games like Dota2, League of Legends, etc. And then if you've played MOBAs, Das Tal becomes infinitely more interesting: a game where you control your champion, but instead of just pushing lanes and destroying the enemy base for a 40-minute battle, you get to do lots of sandbox open world PvP MMO stuff! I think this perspective shift is pretty important for getting what makes Das Tal so great.

aS52sKM.jpg

Another important distinctive is that most isometric top-down view games have point-and-click mechanics for movement and combat. (Diablo, Ultima Online, MOBAs, etc.)

Oddly -- and thrillingly -- Das Tal movement and combat actually mechanically plays more like a FPS shooter game. You use WASD for your character movement, and you use your left-click, numbers 1-4, Q, E, and R for all your various attacks and abilities and such.

This is something that isn't captured in the videos well whatsoever, so the fast-pace of the action combat isn't captured well at all. It's pretty frickin' fun. The best video that I can find to capture this is their video on "Skill-based Combat."

aS52sKM.jpg

For anyone that didn't see, there's a 24-hour open public free alpha test of Das Tal today! It's the perfect opportunity to download the game (less than 300mb), and see what it's all about!

There are a handful of organized clans -- We Are Legend, Lords of Death, etc. -- so the developers set up a developer clan called "Exile" that is open to everyone unaffiliated, to get to play and enjoy the game in that type of context, instead of lone-wolfing, too!

Edited by theomancer

aS52sKM.jpg

Well now I feel awful cause i've already killed exile people like 50x...

Edit:  The game is pretty much as I expected... awesome ideas... low budget execution... it's still in a legit alpha so it's to be expected some of the issues it has... bloodline champions in a larger world could be really interesting though, if they don't make this game I hope someone else tries to make something similar. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Hehe, yup. My IRL brother and I made a tiny guild, "Zombie Ninja Pirates," and we've been on the leaderboard in 3rd/4th place all morning (for resources and "efficiency") -- but I had to go to work. >_<

There's this dude named "Bint" who is insanely good, and last Sunday he was able to 1v3 us easy. This time around it looks like he's named himself "MoistBint" or something. Guild is "Kisses and Hugs." Keep an eye out for him. ;-P

aS52sKM.jpg

I've been 1v3ing here and there but I think it's just easier if you outlevel people badly.... I've only fought against 2 or 3 groups that were pretty good at healing and stuff and it's hard to 1vX vs sustain in this game. 

Usually I am very open to any sort of PvP sandbox game but this one didn't strike me as something for me. That's just me, I play neither Diablo, Path of Exile nor do I like any MOBA or shooter gameplay. So I am just not their initial target audience I suppose. But that's also some part of the reason why I didn't back their game because whether it's awesome or not (I haven't tried it, I believe you though that it is awesome) they absolutely failed to strike my interest.

I personally think they have a bunch of good ideas and might be capable game designers/engineers but they are horrible at marketing their game and themselves. If you compare it to the Crowfall campaign for a minute... Besides that ACE managed to hype the game up before the actual Kickstarter (I heard about "Das Tal" more or less by accident and at that time they had a super crappy website) with their campaign video they got my instant trust that they have a very specific vision about their game and that they absolutely are able to deliver that. I did not care so much that J. Todd Coleman created the legendary "Shadowbane" or Raph Koster seems to be some sort of crafting systems designer Demi God, but they absolutely sold the game to me in those seven minutes.

The video from "Das Tal" did not do that. They seemed to be some cool guys looking for some money. Which would be totally fine if it wasn't an online game. The one thing that any online hosted game needs to some extent is longevity. They have a not very well thought out business model for their game. They are going for buy to play which they consider as the fairest for the customer but they are putting a price tag of $50 on the game. Compared to any other game out there this is insanely high. I assume that this is what their numbers said because they need to pay their servers after all. But this game format almost needs a cosmetic cash shop for the simple opportunity to whale out. MOBAs and Path of Exile chose this business model for a reason. If they want to go B2B only they need to do some quick recalculations with around $20 box price because otherwise just not enough people will buy it which is counter productive to the incentive of having a long living healthy online game.

Also their stretch goals are mostly uninspired for a Kickstarter campaign. I could go on and on but I won't. I am just saying they might be able to create an awesome game but I don't believe that they are able to *produce* one. An experienced game producer/PR manager or at least one guy who knows how the industry works would have helped them a lot.

I hope that they finish their game successfully nevertheless.

"Kansas City Shuffle - When everybody looks right, you go left."