Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theomancer

Das Tal: bringing Crowfall's MMO metagame strategy to MOBA combat mechanics - the first MMOBA game

Imo Das Tal looks nothing like moba, the mechanics are different... more like a "realm of the mad god" where you are moving all the time and trying to hit your moving opponent. Previous alpha tests I had some lag issues and couldn't compete much but I hope they will fix it and improve the combat.

qOYmAaj.jpg

The kickstarter was only for speeding up the art assets, not the game development itself -- which is also why it was such a small financial goal. So it's not the end of the world, really! Just a speedbump on art now.

aS52sKM.jpg

I personally think they have a bunch of good ideas and might be capable game designers/engineers but they are horrible at marketing their game and themselves. If you compare it to the Crowfall campaign for a minute... Besides that ACE managed to hype the game up before the actual Kickstarter (I heard about "Das Tal" more or less by accident and at that time they had a super crappy website) with their campaign video they got my instant trust that they have a very specific vision about their game and that they absolutely are able to deliver that. I did not care so much that J. Todd Coleman created the legendary "Shadowbane" or Raph Koster seems to be some sort of crafting systems designer Demi God, but they absolutely sold the game to me in those seven minutes.

The video from "Das Tal" did not do that. They seemed to be some cool guys looking for some money. Which would be totally fine if it wasn't an online game. The one thing that any online hosted game needs to some extent is longevity. They have a not very well thought out business model for their game. They are going for buy to play which they consider as the fairest for the customer but they are putting a price tag of $50 on the game. Compared to any other game out there this is insanely high. I assume that this is what their numbers said because they need to pay their servers after all. But this game format almost needs a cosmetic cash shop for the simple opportunity to whale out. MOBAs and Path of Exile chose this business model for a reason. If they want to go B2B only they need to do some quick recalculations with around $20 box price because otherwise just not enough people will buy it which is counter productive to the incentive of having a long living healthy online game.

I have to agree. Crowfall generated insane hype way before the Kickstarter even started, so when they FINALLY launched the kickstarter, the media campaign was in full frenzy mode, and everyone blew the lid off the funding goals.

I also completely agree about the funding. I think they need to do $15 or $20 for the box, and then do microtransactions on skins, emotes, dances, etc.

Shame, though. The game really is freaking fun as all get out. I found myself playing for hours and hours and hours. And then finding myself wanting to come back for more, afterward! >_<

aS52sKM.jpg