Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-order Steam Controller

Caenth

You can now pre-order the Steam Controller that could replace you mouse. I pre-ordered one myself. It will be interesting to test on various types of games, including Crowfall. I simply can't play 1st/3rd person games with a controller, I grew up with mouse and keyboard. I use my XBox 360 controller for other type of games though.

Introducing the Steam Controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs2Yh1PFwM

Pre-order here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I guess if you want to fall behind the skill curve you can use a controller...

I'm not saying this will replace a keyboard and a mouse in all games, but Valve claims it could. The right thumb pad on the controller apparently can function as a mouse replacement. The controller seems to have some neat features as well, like 2 step triggers and squeeze pads on the back.

So, I'm just going to test this. If the performance is not there or it plays not like I want I just go back to my keyboard and mouse. No harm done. What I read so far from people that tried test versions are surprised it functions so well.

The problem with something new like this is that you can't compare it with anything. You just have to try it. Same with VR. It remains a gamble on my part to order and test this. It could be a waste of money.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

Kintor, is that you?

The a thumb pad may be better than a thumbstick, but the thumb cannot move with the same active precision as the whole arm can. This is the problem and this is why the mouse crushes the thumbstick in almost all tests for multiplatform games.

I am sure it will be a great gamepad for many games though.

• 2 weeks later...

someone test one of these and report back. One of my PC's is hooked up to my TV. I see the need.

Ya report back been thinking about getting one, but want some reviews that aren't from a big youtube/website name.

• 4 months later...

Okay, so my Steam controller arrived today. First impressions:

• Nice and sufficient packaging.
  • Okay, this looks like you need big hands, it's bigger than I thought. Yes, my hands might be too small for this.
  • Dongle got installed without problems. Controller works instantly.
  • ABXY keys are really small and close to each other. X is very hard to reach.
  • Hard to reach the most right position with the left stick.
  • Steam needs to run in Big Picture mode to config the controller.
  • Outside Steam the controller reverts back to defaults, pretty unusable imo.
  • Haptic feedback sounds like a vibrator when enabled and in use.

Already got frustrated using it for 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure this is not going to work for me, but I won't give up yet. Just need to properly play some games first.

ZCcquVD.png