Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics and Strategy Development Group

Vyke

I would be interested in helping to form, or joining, a group developed to experimenting and developing tactics and strategy as we begin to play through alpha, beta and launch stages.  I think it would be beneficial to have a core group of players with varying experiences (but who could be considered subject matter experts) capable of providing input, formulating solutions, conducting practical application and providing analysis and changes as it pertains to all levels of combat in the game.  Some areas of interest:

Tactics:

Guerrilla Warfare (small vs large force)

Raiding (small force vs enemy supply lines or camps)

Scouting (small force)

Battle Deployment (large vs large force)

Siege warfare (large force vs entrenched/fortified force)

Strategy:

Maintaining a small force in various climates/situations/rulesets to operate effectively

Maintaining a large force with logistic and strategic concerns

Movement of various forces

Defensive positions and how to use them (logistics/strategy/cost to benefit)

General:

Effects of force compositions (class roles/utility)

Scaling Logistics, taking a small force to a large force or vice versa

Basic/Targeted training (support basic operations, terrain usage, pathfinder classes, etc.)

I think that such a group could provide both active (conducting in-game functions/missions) and passive (evaluating other guilds or providing training) for in-game compensation in the form of currency or equipment.

The ultimate goal would be to push boundaries such as meta tactics and strategy to provide an edge in the PVP environment and to "get paid" while doing so.

If there's any interest, please provide it here (discussion of this concept is also welcome).

Edited by Vyke

People will probably glitch out before any plans are executed but I don't see why not. I'd rather find all the bugs first and glitches of individual combat and areas of maps. But I know some other people who are discussing about forming groups to see how zerg or large scale combat works out.

It's a little early to make these compromises though.

Edited by EDM

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I'm more interested in whether the mechanics of the game actually allow rich tactical and strategic depth :-/

But here's hoping there is more battle technique involved than just basic troop movements.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm more interested in whether the mechanics of the game actually allow rich tactical and strategic depth :-/

But here's hoping there is more battle technique involved than just basic troop movements.

Hopefully by alpha, there is some depth and implementation of combo system present.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Hopefully by alpha, there is some depth and implementation of combo system present.

The combo system doesn't concern me greatly, I'm more concerned about what kind of methods they intend to deliver projectile aiming, will it have meaningful reach and enable friendly fire avoidance? That as well as whether we will see some interesting cooperative actions, like group arrow volleys, group spell casting, and group shield formations or cavalry charges.

If the combat is designed for for independent fighting, than it's not going to feel tactical.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Going to throw this out there... giving away tactics and strategies is a poor decision.

If you can give them away, their not that deep, you can learn the moves, but good strategy and tactics are about recognizing when to deploy them and predicting the sequence of events, not just the fact that they exist. To a degree, a number of people need to know various parts of your plans in order to execute them or replicate your presence on the battlefield.

If such a group takes shape, I am personally interested into heping out.

I agree that is something better suited for beta 1 and later but getting to know eachother and brainstorming can not hurt.

/cheers

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.ro

This is a very interesting concept in terms of effectively establishing a guild/community that is solely focused on developing battlefield strategy, but not on existing as a competitive guild (it seems).  Here are some follow up questions and  comments that might be good to discuss.

1. Battlefield tactics are usually dictated by the tools at a commanders disposal, this may create too many options for you to feasibly test.

2. If your group finds such success, would you not simply want to win the campaigns as it would be most lucrative?

3. If you are not capable of winning campaigns, either your community or your strategies would not be nearly as attractive to pay for.

4. A lot of the meta within games comes from engaging with opposing forces and seeing what works and what they are doing, this leads me to believe that the value of your experience would be valuable, but relatively easily obtained from a number of sources.

Some ideas on how you could make it work:

1. Put together content packs with a disclaimer.  These could include (10 man team build, farming strategy, ect)

2. If shared, you never sell to that customer again.

3. Create a guild for newbies and offer to train them but they pay a tax for the work and can then continue onward after whatever point.

I agree with Adall. The people who could contribute the most to this kind of thinktank are not likely to throw their battlefield advantage away. Those who want to learn generalship will learn it painfully at the hands of better generals.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in helping to form, or joining, a group developed to experimenting and developing tactics and strategy as we begin to play through alpha, beta and launch stages.  I think it would be beneficial to have a core group of players with varying experiences (but who could be considered subject matter experts) capable of providing input, formulating solutions, conducting practical application and providing analysis and changes as it pertains to all levels of combat in the game.  Some areas of interest:

Tactics:

Guerrilla Warfare (small vs large force)

Raiding (small force vs enemy supply lines or camps)

Scouting (small force)

Battle Deployment (large vs large force)

Siege warfare (large force vs entrenched/fortified force)

Strategy:

Maintaining a small force in various climates/situations/rulesets to operate effectively

Maintaining a large force with logistic and strategic concerns

Movement of various forces

Defensive positions and how to use them (logistics/strategy/cost to benefit)

General:

Effects of force compositions (class roles/utility)

Scaling Logistics, taking a small force to a large force or vice versa

Basic/Targeted training (support basic operations, terrain usage, pathfinder classes, etc.)

I think that such a group could provide both active (conducting in-game functions/missions) and passive (evaluating other guilds or providing training) for in-game compensation in the form of currency or equipment.

The ultimate goal would be to push boundaries such as meta tactics and strategy to provide an edge in the PVP environment and to "get paid" while doing so.

If there's any interest, please provide it here (discussion of this concept is also welcome).

Holy Opsec. Comsec. Great googilymoogily.

*chokes*

It's like you're taking scrolls from the Centaur Legion War Library!

Who is your commander? Why is he still standing there, not arrested?

Lol.

Seriously, though, like your post and thoughts. I firmly believe that somethings do indeed translate. Am also an ardent fan and supporter of Small Unit Leadership.

Not saying that Cataphract (Crowfall's Centaur Legion Role-Playing Guild) will be all about recycling doctrine et al. We hope to break our own ground in our own way.

If interested, our barracks door is always open.

*performs a very rigid and forceful Centaur Legion salute then trots off, jauntily*

"Signals, Sound off Plates and Greaves! Line up! Prepare to advance!"

- Saying things a Centaur Legionnaire likes to hear.