Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
phatcat09

Toons Permadeath and you have to remake off an archetype template.

Well if we have city sieging in the game, having to go back to the character screen every time I die in a siege like that would probably most likely make me move on from the game to be honest. 

Your guild is sieging, you die, you say in ts/vent  ... well just died see you again in 5 mins have to remake my character, travel etc. 

It was said that they are attempting to remove the "grind", so perhaps - but there are 2 things that makes permadeath stupid:

1) Dying way too often

2) Having to progress for years in order to make the character you want only to die

If there is permadeath, it needs to happen after a given character lifespan has reached or after a set amount of deaths occur..both of which give enough time for the player to enjoy being their character.

Edited by orious13

It was said that they are attempting to remove the "grind", so perhaps - but there are 2 things that makes permadeath stupid:

1) Dying way too often

2) Having to progress for years in order to make the character you want only to die

If there is permadeath, it needs to happen after a given character lifespan has reached or after a set amount of deaths occur..both of which give enough time for the player to enjoy being their character.

Personally not a fan of perms death, I'll literally make guild spec toons and a single fun toon, that's it that's all, I'd hate to have to remake them consistently. I also predominantly play support roles for my guild

Well if we have city sieging in the game, having to go back to the character screen every time I die in a siege like that would probably most likely make me move on from the game to be honest. 

Your guild is sieging, you die, you say in ts/vent  ... well just died see you again in 5 mins have to remake my character, travel etc. 

Yea cause pre-saves would never be a thing right? lol 

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

Yea cause pre-saves would never be a thing right? lol 

Ya because going back to character creation screen to get pre-saves would be a fun immersive gaming experience lol

I guess I just don't see the point of it other than being a complete annoyance. 

Edited by sarin

Ya because going back to character creation screen to get pre-saves would be a fun immersive gaming experience lol

That's not really counter-response to your "take too much time" argument but okay.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

That's not really counter-response to your "take too much time" argument but okay.

What do you mean? Time spent out of game ( at creation screen ) is taking time away from the player from being in game having fun. 

I mean at least give me a counter argument what benefit for the gamer permadeath gives in  a MMO  : /

I have said in other threads on this topic, permadeath works fine in dungeon crawlers/rpg's but in MMO's and especially a pvp centric one especially it doesn't work other than just adding another silly time sink taking away from the fun factor of the game.

On top of it, it would most likely just promote more zerging as well, safety in numbers type gameplay ... oh YAY that sounds fun and grand!!!

Edited by sarin

What do you mean? Time spent out of game ( at creation screen ) is taking time away from the player from being in game having fun. 

I mean at least give me a counter argument what benefit for the gamer permadeath gives in  a MMO  : /

I have said in other threads on this topic, permadeath works fine in dungeon crawlers/rpg's but in MMO's and especially a pvp centric one especially it doesn't work other than just adding another silly time sink taking away from the fun factor of the game.

On top of it, it would most likely just promote more zerging as well, safety in numbers type gameplay ... oh YAY that sounds fun and grand!!!

Just too many assumptions to address....

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

While this makes absolute sense and is perfectly reasonable... Imagine how unlikely and big a deal a seige would have to be... Your going to seige!? But... but you could die! (I can here my in game rp wife crying now...) I'd seriously consider Doing a seige, but the best feeling would be that I would be scared poorly made socksless the entire time. I know people don't really want real life, but the closer it is, the more exciting imo

Edited by aeshura

While this makes absolute sense and is perfectly reasonable... Imagine how unlikely and big a deal a seige would have to be... Your going to seige!? But... but you could die! (I can here my in game rp wife crying now...)

Only one wife?!?!? Beta detected.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

Damn, all my posts are about Path of Exile for some reason...

Well, in PoE, you could choose to play in the Hardcore league, which is like a separate server where your character is deleted as soon as it dies. In theory, it's the best way to play that game, and the adrenaline surge is incredible when you barely survive a massive boss fight. In practise, any online game relies on a series of information transmission mechanisms, which are inherently slower than what we perceive, and which are inevitably unstable, due to how internet technology is built. As such, most deaths are unfair; a moment of lag, and it's all over. How much worse would that be in a siege, with dozens if not hundreds of players?

Alternatively, how about some kind of status or title which you are granted at the start of the game (for instance after the tutorial), and which is removed on death? Better yet, it could change based on how long you've remained unkilled. At best, how about one such status for the one player who has been alive the longest?

If the creation points are the extent of changing your characters base stats then I'd have to go with no.

But if you can change up the way that character plays outside of character creation, I'd still say no. 

Permadeath negates rpg in the whole sense of it. Having a character you can relate to, call your own, and mold is a big feature and if a player had to do that each and every death, then they would go through 500 characters through the lifetime of the game which doesn't make sense. 

Plus would you keep your characters name each time? If so, whats the point of permadeath in the first place? Why not just lose all your stuff on the same character?

Just questions that would have to be answered first before the idea would come to fruition.

Rogue Legacy has you restart the game every time you die as your child. Said child keeps the stats of the parent and is allowed to re-specialize to a degree and buy new equipment with the parent's gold. I can see something like that working really well in this, with the exception that you'd have to lose something when you die.

Edited by txteclipse

I enjoy permadeath in some games but not so much in my MMOs. Maybe a server could be there for those looking for an extra challenge. But that opens up a whole new discussion about quite a lot of questions, thoughts, and opinions. 

Invalidates character progression, demotivates me from investing in my character, feels like the world is pointless. 

Permadeath is why I hate real life. Even if RL had respawns, if I lost all my acquired knowledge and skills, it would still rather suck. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Permadeath is why I hate real life. Even if RL had respawns, if I lost all my acquired knowledge and skills, it would still rather suck. 

That's kinda deep.

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~