Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Expansions: A Necessary Evil?

Expansions.

Is it just a money grab, or do MMOs actually need them?  Even if they are necessary for some MMOs, does Crowfall's procedurally generated content model negate the need for future expansions?

How would you feel if Crowfall issued an expansion some time in the future?

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Crowfall Pirate Pack- Now with Oceans, Boats, Booty, and Eye Patches!

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I don't think Crowfall needs an expansion simply due to the way the game is designed in general. They plan on adding archetypes and rulesets while the game is running.

Maybe I could see them making like $15 dollar expansions so that players could play a new style of rule sets that added new maps and equipment and such, but nothing like what current MMO's do like paying 60 bucks for 10 more levels, new worlds, new dungeons and raids, and story. 

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

Expansions.

Is it just a money grab, or do MMOs actually need them?  Even if they are necessary for some MMOs, does Crowfall's procedurally generated content model negate the need for future expansions?

Not really a money grab as much as they are necessary to keep the game fresh and players interested. Usually they are pretty much a whole new games worth of content so that's why you have to pay for them.

As long as the content they provide is worth paying for I have no issues at all with them.

Edited by pang

The main difference between an expansion and simple patched in content is the amount of work required.  If the work justifies the cost of an expansion then I've no problem with it.

With that said, if they are making enough with their cash store and VIP; then I doubt we will see this.

[@--(o.O)@]

After the initial release, the Devs have time to work on different new projects, thats why you see DLC and Expansions. Take boats for instance, in CF we wont be able to take a boat over the water, or have naval battles. However if the Devs get 6-8 months after release, they can make time to get it to work in the engine.

Do a game with procedurally generated maps need an expansion? not really, but it could enhance the gameplay thats being procedurally generated.

One of the hidden dangers of the expansion-based business model is that typically your A team is always working on the next expansion, while the Live team is your second stringers. That's fine if the live content is rock-solid and fun and needs little maintenance, but if there are significant issues for the live team to work on you want some good brains there too.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Expansions.

The question should be: What content would be contained within an expansion for a game like this?  PvE MMOs need expansions.  They require extended development time (1-2 years generally) and those hours need to be compensated.

I don't think Crowfall needs an expansion simply due to the way the game is designed in general. They plan on adding archetypes and rulesets while the game is running.

Maybe I could see them making like $15 dollar expansions so that players could play a new style of rule sets that added new maps and equipment and such, but nothing like what current MMO's do like paying 60 bucks for 10 more levels, new worlds, new dungeons and raids, and story. 

These are some good ideas.  I think archetypes could be added individually for x amount (5-10 bucks?).  These could be put on the cash shop as soon as they are completed (new archetype every 4 months, for example).  Similar to new characters being added to a MOBA.  Rulesets could work the same way, just charge a little more for them ($15 maybe).

I don't think there's really a need to buy new maps since the worlds are procedurally generated.  Though they might sell armor variations for the archetypes to generate some cash.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I respect expansions as long as they introduce new gameplay depth overall, like ocean exploration, ship creation and naval battle, and swimming.

It's a lot more rewarding than subscriptions for gated alternate character growth. Or $30 for a cosmetic horse skin that can die... $50 for an expansion with New types of places and features?, or $50 for a castle in your EK?

Expansions are definitely not what I'm scrutinizing...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm not too keen on E merchandise in MMOs, they strip away the depth of pursuing objects in game by making them purchasable out of game.

I'd rather have genuinely unique content, like archetype access, location and exploration access, and feature access sold to me, as am entry level to play. Pay to enjoy is the worst kind of sale.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I will give all my money for vanity items. Just so long as they're unique and well designed enough to be worth a few bucks.

(づ ˘ ³˘)づ

Hug it Out

Idk if expansions will be necessary or even really work given their game design.  Being PvP based it could unbalance the game between the haves and have nots, which could hurt them in the long run.

One thing I would be ok with and I'd like to see is them continuing their stretch goal kickstarterish crowdfunding for addition content after launch.  Anything bought from the cash store, optional subs or new copies sold would go towards it.

So each month you have an amount to keep the lights on, probably running a few months in advance, and everything earned on top of that goes towards whatever the next stretch goal is.

Perhaps even giving players some say in what goals to go towards as a community.  If they are open and transparent with not only how much it costs to keep the lights on, but to make any given chunk of content, then I'm sure that there are a great deal of us who would be willing to throw money there way.

I am in favor of some sort of 'expansion packs' for simple economic and business reasons. I would prefer that they packs be of a major nature for game play. We can easily envision new campaign worlds and rules sets but frankly, based on the present game design that would be a minor thing, maybe necessary, but marginal. After all, maps are procedurally generated and rules sets will vary widely anyway and change, a lot.

I can see that, as of now, the campaign worlds are transitory and will not last. This can be (and is) slightly depressing as there will be little immersion for characters in a doomed world. We essentially go in for 'stuff' and the world itself is basically a background. I would like to see a campaign world that does not become automatically doomed. A campaign world where we, as characters, become involved in throwing back the hunger, helping the worlds inhabitants survive and build instead of scavenging their carcasses. Not all worlds but a single expansion pack campaign world where we can be immersed in with the inhabitants and civilizations struggles and at least the possibility of insuring its survival and saving it from annihilation. It need not interfere with the regular game and be available to those who buy that expansion. Will include the possibility that the keep or castle you spent hard work and fighting to rebuild in this singular campaign pack will survive and be available for your guild in that 'pack world' in the future. Sort of like an EK but with the campaign rules sets similar to those in the regular game.

Just a small idea for an expansion pack to help maintain the funding to keep the game going.