Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Autism Speaks

Cowbot

Hello Crowfall forums! This is my first post so be gentle. I saw there was an exception in the rules for linking to non-gaming websites in off-topic threads, so that strongly implies it is OK to make off-topic threads sometimes!

9pzzDCJ.jpg

It is Autism awareness month! I think this is an important topic and everyone on this forum could do to learn more about this condition.

For example, did you know that vaccinations don't cause Autism? In fact, science has a bunch of clues on what actually causes Autism now.

Did you know that diet significantly impacts the chance of your children getting Autism? Eating a whole-foods plant-based diet high in folic acid can lower your risk of having an Autistic child. Eating lots of fattening junk food won't help. A good diet is important! Overweight mothers with diabetes are more likely to have Autistic kids.

While many people on the Autistic spectrum are mentally impaired (low IQs), Autistic people can still be normal and even talented! Many perform well at specific tasks like music or visual skills. If we practice lots of tolerance and respect with people on the Autistic spectrum it could really improve their lives.

If you suspect an adult you know may be Autistic, it is not too late for them to get help and improve their lives. There are many professionals qualified at diagnosing adult autism, such as licensed clinical psychologists, neurologists, and psychiatrists.

I hope everyone will take some time and read through the Autism Speaks website, as I have, and spread the word.

www.autismspeaks.org

Did you know that diet significantly impacts the chance of your children getting Autism? Eating a whole-foods plant-based diet high in folic acid can lower your risk of having an Autistic child. Eating lots of fattening junk food won't help. A good diet is important! Overweight mothers with diabetes are more likely to have Autistic kids.

While many people on the Autistic spectrum are mentally impaired (low IQs), Autistic people can still be normal and even talented! Many perform well at specific tasks like music or visual skills. If we practice lots of tolerance and respect with people on the Autistic spectrum it could really improve their lives.

Morning Cowbot!

I'd question some of those facts that you've listed.  The diet research and links to autism were founded in studies conducted on rats and only showed partial mitochondrial dysfunction.  Making sweeping statements relating junk food to autism are no where near accurate.  I'd suggest a bit of reading from NCBI if you're really curious how diet affects autism.  (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19860886 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19135522)

With that said, I've got a really good friend who is autistic, and other than a speech impairment he is no different than you and I.  Branding them as "special people" giving them their own month is not the way to go about it.  Tolerance and respect is not the answer either.  Treating them like every day people is.

Yes, I know I used them...

[@--(o.O)@]

I've had posts deleted and warning points issued simply for saying that someone might have autism.

We clearly need to raise awareness and reduce discrimination if it's so highly entrenched

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

if you're posting on this forum you are probably on the spectrum

I always wanted to be on a spectrum

No one knows yet. 

Ah, autisum speaks. the organization that spends a great deal of time talking about autistic people, but very little -if at any- time actually talking to autistic people.

They're considered a joke -or an insult, take your pick- in the autistic community. I urge you to give them neither money nor the time of day.

Edit: Good alternative, at least if you're from the uk: The National Autistic Society.

Edited by Fenrial

if you're posting on this forum you are probably on the spectrum

Everyone is on the spectrum; that's kind of what "spectrum" means. The important question is where on the spectrum.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Couldn't be bothered to read, obvious tr*ll (why is troll censored, wtf?) is obvious.

Edited by cannibal man

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.