Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abso

Dynamic Character / Guild Background

Purely "cosmetic" and probably way too expensive for what it would add to the game experience but I loved how in Dragon Age / Civilization and some other titles, the game recorded your relevant actions and decisions and in the end let you admire your journey through the game.

I have no idea of how difficult it would be to set that up in an MMO with thousands of players and thus dozens of thousands of actions to record each day. And how such a system could decide what is relevant and what is not...

And if that's feasible, it would be cool to have a some kind of engine that would actually tell your story instead of simply listing all your actions.

Instead of "19:07 [Player1] has been slain by [Player2]".

Something more like "In the valley/plain/mountain of [region_name_if_any] I sent [player2] back to the grave with a taste of my [killing_blow_power] wielding my bright new [killing_blow_weapon]."

That could also be applicable to Guilds, with the dynamic background displaying actual facts and numbers.

[Guild1] fielding XX soldiers and lead by [GroupLeader1] and [GroupLeader2] managed to capture the ore mine of [region_name_if_any] from [PreviousMineOwningGuild] who was able to rally XX warriors.

Input a situational random sentence builder and I'm sure player backgrounds would finally be worth reading ^_^

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.

If the devs push some fancy kill text to the combat logs, the players can easily build tools to extract, collect, and publish that info.

EDIT: Which reminds me, please for the love of Malakai give us decent combat logs.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

"In the valley/plain/mountain of [region_name_if_any] I'm having sweet love with [player2]'s caravan. Stalked and killed him with my [%_archery_skill]. Rangers lead the way and your caravan's future."

Edited by mazh

2whf87a.jpg

You, [subject name here], must be the pride of [subject hometown here]!

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This could actually be an awesome way to record the history of Crowfall. It will let new people get up to snuff with the politics of the world, and allow people joining campaigns to know where they would have the most fun fighting at. Perhaps they could give everyone an in-game book that updates with the history of every server! (or just a button in the main menu that lets you see the history). To go even further, EKs could have libraries with various books, each individual book is the history of each server!

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

As nice as this sounds, I don't think it is really worth the dev's time. It does add something to be sure! That is why I often make journals like this on my own.

But if the fine people at crowfall think they could do something like this, then by all means. Sounds like fun fluff if nothing else.

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

This is really cool but isn't this somewhat in line with an achievement system of some kind? Relevant (significant?) actions and decisions correspond to big things that you have done on that character that can be shown off or displayed to either you or other players.  I have no issue with achievements but I know there have been a plethora of threads asking for such and many were against the idea.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

Would be fun, but would A. Seem like a minecraft server chat log instead of a traditional MMO setup and two, would just be a pain to read. Sure it's fun the first time but after 10 times it will get repetitious and boring. Not to mention that but size too. Do we want "Akgaghor Thundertooth III" from the "League of Unaffiliated Knights of the Dragon Crown" with his blade "Flamebringer: Dragon's scream" along with your already long description example flooding chats? I would rather be unaffected by chat than having to read paragraphs each time my guy dies.

Would be fun, but would A. Seem like a minecraft server chat log instead of a traditional MMO setup and two, would just be a pain to read. Sure it's fun the first time but after 10 times it will get repetitious and boring. Not to mention that but size too. Do we want "Akgaghor Thundertooth III" from the "League of Unaffiliated Knights of the Dragon Crown" with his blade "Flamebringer: Dragon's scream" along with your already long description example flooding chats? I would rather be unaffected by chat than having to read paragraphs each time my guy dies.

I don't think you get the initial point. "Player background" is not spamming in your chatbox, you decide to read it or not. Like some character "inspection", but instead of seeing its items, you see its story.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.

Some of you may have heard about some of the major battle that take place in EVE. I'm just imagining those kind of social media news posts, using this kind of recording system for Crowfall. 

Not only somebody how know something about the game but, have good ideas that are acually useful for an MMO. I really really like this idea and if not in the core game maybe in a add on or expansion? This would add to the experience and would you look back at your adventure and remember.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

This could actually be an awesome way to record the history of Crowfall. It will let new people get up to snuff with the politics of the world, and allow people joining campaigns to know where they would have the most fun fighting at. Perhaps they could give everyone an in-game book that updates with the history of every server! (or just a button in the main menu that lets you see the history). To go even further, EKs could have libraries with various books, each individual book is the history of each server!

This would honestly be cool. To have a room in your EK that fills with books that are the recorded history of every campaign world you have faught in.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

This would honestly be cool. To have a room in your EK that fills with books that are the recorded history of every campaign world you have faught in.

I think that may be worth its own suggestion thread entirely

Doesn’t the game already offer something far better? I assume the Eternal Kingdom will already work as a trophy room that reflects all you achievements.

Maybe they could even add a feature to collect trophies from other characters. Then you could display XxXDEATHKILLERXxX’s splintered skull for everybody to see. :D

Being able to collect Guild Leaders heads would be nice....

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

Being able to collect Guild Leaders heads would be nice....

Why you hatin'?...

Countless Planetside players would love to have the feature for me, haha!

Why you hatin'?...

Countless Planetside players would love to have the feature for me, haha!

No hate at all. I can just see me giving a tour of the place and explaining to people how I won each fight :D

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln