Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

By official request: Questions for upcoming Combat Chat

Health permanence please.  Does every fight always have to end in someone dead?  Will regeneration be slow/nonexistent enough that halving someone's HP might actually be a large impact on them?  Will we be able to leave someone at 10% hp and laugh knowing that killing them would have been a mercy, as they limp off in the distance?

Will we be bringing all of our combat skills to each fight? (like WoW, etc.)

Or will we preselect our combat techniques from a larger assortment? (like The Secret World)

Or something else? (please elaborate :) )

With armor are there any plans for abilities tied to gear? Abilities tied to gear that affect gear's durability? Like say wands or something or scroll type things that are consumed per a certain amount of uses?

How important is gear to combat?

Is there a pretty solid understanding for how armor will play into the power level of a character?

Will it be stats based? Will armor have any sort of item counter system? (Something like War of the roses where certain items are geared towards countering other items)

What are your inspirations for the ranged combat? Is there going to be a general pattern, or are certain classes going to have seriously different models? Are we going to have boulder tossing frost giants with true projectiles vrs hit scan crossbow wielding kobolds?

Edited by Zomnivore

Two questions:

Will one Advanced player be able to kill 10 Beginners at once?

Will there ever be a scenario where a player can one-shot kill another?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." - Ned

Two questions:

Will one Advanced player be able to kill 10 Beginners at once?

Will there ever be a scenario where a player can one-shot kill another?

I would be more interested in whether ten beginners can kill one advanced player.

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

How about "can 10 vets on new characters kill one highly-trained character?" Because first-day players in any number aren't a good test of combat balance.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

How do

-Area usables like blue/red buff(LoL), combat/resource regenerating things like mana shrines(diablo), or like...arrow regenerating/making gnomes.

-Area usables like one time use, or certain amount of time use items like boulders, branches, random pick up n grab sort of ready made weapons.

factor into your vision of combat?

How important is zone control in your vision of this game, for combat. (would things like the above factor in?) If a guy stays in one spot, is that a good thing, a bad thing? How much movement do you want people to have to participate in?

Are wall jumps, double jumps, dashes teleports, and falcon-jumps (gophers being lifted and dropped by tamed birds) in the scope of what you want, and if so how regularly would you want these moves used during a one on one encounter vrs a group on group encounter?

Are high mobility classes a goal, and if so do you have a ball park idea of what such a class would do in your game? (that you'd talk about)

What are the compromises you have to make for mobility systems and lag?

What are the compromises you have to make on moves and how they destroy terrain?

How many people do you cynically expect to be able to fight in an small area at a time with no or reasonable amounts of lag. Does that number go up or down significantly based on destructible terrain? (like the interior of a small building, or the front gate of a keep)

How do you envision the voxel system interacting with combat, and are there any goals for more integration of those systems?

Do you see only certain classes as being able to readily destroy terrain, and if so, how does terrain factor into your vision of combat for them?

If you have a dialogue about any of these topics or have had dialogues about certain types of combat, what sorts of things are you willing to discuss (like actually discuss pro/con) in front of the community vrs just relaying whats been discussed on a topic listing kind of level? Is active participation in a debate about a certain feature something you're willing to have, or do you generally want to keep input well gated?

What are things you're hesitant to talk about but kind of want some feedback on from the community?

#onslaught #floodthedevs #texasisflooding #drowninthedialogue #deepdive #ienjoyyoursuffering #whipcrackwhipcrack #muhahahahah #youcanprobablyignorethesehashtagsbuttheyrewhereitrollaround #hashtag #question #QA #obviouslymostofthiswillbeglazedoverintheansweringbutyouknowthisismoretosetthetoneforwhatmeandmaybeothersperglordsofthecommunityarehavingthoughtsaboutandwouldlikeyoutofeedourcuriosityon #thissortofenthusiasmiswhytheyaretryingtoputupapaywall #getthisnerdoutofhere #godthatguyagain #groan #ugh #nerdswhatsupwiththoselosers #godgooutsidealready #pasty #vampire #ohgodhesreadingourminds #hesnothuman #hesgonefullpotato #ohgodinternetmemesilaughedwilligetfired #ohnoilookedattheforumsohgodmyeyes #thisguyismeta #thatguyjustusedmetaunironically #ohgodnowhyaieee #aieeeeeee #thisiswhywecanthavenicethings #honestlyIdidntthinkitwasthatbad #howmuchlongerarethesehashtagsgoingtoget #canIreasonablycallthisspamandtempbanthisguyuntillaunch #Iwonderifpannislaughingorgloatingoverhercommunityofforumwarriors #pannisprobablyreadingthisbythispointbecausehernamecameup #youcansafelyignoreallofthesehashtagsbutthereissecretlyonereasonablyconstructiveoneforyoutofindandthisismywayofwhereswaldoingintext

Edited by Zomnivore

How will loot drops work? If a ranger kills a centaur can he pick up and wear his gear? Does it conform to players class? Or do you only get gear from your respective class

You're hilarious dude, you deserve awards for your degree of wit and intelligence, you truly do.

Hello,

I was curious if there would be a similar mechanic similar to stagger in Tera as you supposedly are using Tera's combat as a starting point. Stagger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebmjf3qVW-4

Stagger was more or less nonexistent in early Tera. Then following some gear patches healers became gods of survivability and stagger was introduced to annoy the poorly made socks out of them. Tera's combat was fun, but stagger was one of the few annoying parts. It really isn't necessary so long as defense isn't OP.

Will there be a stagger mechanic similar to what is in Tera's combat?

If so, will it be spam-able as it is in Tera?

I will have a harder time convincing many to play, perhaps even myself, if there is Tera-style stagger BS. :rolleyes::D

gCWxS8u.jpg

So, I just started The Witcher 3 after completing the Dark Souls series.. and I realized how weakly defined action combat really is.

Are you thinking about introducing a locking mechanism? Aka you select an enemy and your character auto directs his attack towards him, in melee?

I hate myself for asking, but I want to be sure this won't be in the game. Thanks.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Everything should be completely manually aimed, no aim assistance, I don't mind spells with a large margin for error aka big aoes and what not, but they should all still be manually aimed, and of course there should be very rewarding abilities that don't have a large margin for error.  So any philosophies related to such things would be stellar. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

One of the most interesting aspects of Crowfall are the in-game physics. Tell us more about how the in-game physics influences player combat in Crowfall.

Another chance to transcribe Tully is going to be awesome :)

Should this thread be retired or archived? Or will they continue to reference this thread for more combat chats?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Will every archetype have a promotion class granting access to melee weapons?

If yes/no, will Frostweavers get to wield Greatswords?

How much money do I have to throw at the screen to make this happen?

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

Thanks for all of the great questions! Blair & Tully will be shooting the next Combat Chat episode soon, so we're ready to close this thread so they can select the questions they want to answer. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community