Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bairloch

MWO

I would love to play this game, but the pretty strong unanimous opinion seems to be that the microtransactions are pretty super pay2win feeling. Thoughts?

aS52sKM.jpg

I've played it from closed beta through the past few months.  It is NOT pay2win.  It is very much pay2have cool stuff.

All buying/paying does is lower the amount of time spent in game getting things.  Everything is available at no expense to the player other than their time to earn it.  

There aren't special pay only mechs or weapons so it isn't pay2win.  That said I couldn't imagine playing the game and not having premium time or at least buying a starter pack to be able to master a chassis.

The game can be lots of fun and there is a decent "competitive" scene with tournaments happening all the time.  I'd suggest playing with people (ComStar public and ngng teamspeak servers are a good place to start) as it greatly increases the amount of fun you can have.  There are a bunch of great twitch streamers to watch as well.  I'd start with ngngtv as they have some great hosts (Odwalla, JagerXII, Sean Lang) are good players with Jager being one of the best playing the game and you can branch out into their individual streams as well.

I'd still be playing if I had time to. It can be really damn fun. I've been playing with SJR for over a year now and I don't have the time to stay current with the meta chassis and the 3x / week practice to remain competitive.

Edited by Agelmar

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I've been playing 2 weeks with just what I bought with in game money and I already feel competetive. It is not pay2win. Sure, pay2getstufffirst, but not pay2win.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I have played Mechwarrior Online off and on for the past year and I generally enjoy the game.

With that said, I find PGI to be a rather incompetent developer and downright untrustworthy.  Almost everything they do wreaks of being a desperate cash grab.  Very short time-limited promotions for pre-purchase content that is 3-6 months out just screams "we need money badly and we need it right now."  Their motivation seems to be to do everything they can to keep the company financially afloat, regardless of what is in the best interest of the game.  Needed features and balance are delayed or completely ignored in place of wave after wave of new mechs in the cash shop.

They are leaning on a Steam release as their potential savior, but I don't see the game going over well there with its current pricing model.

For now I continue to log in and play on occasion, but I won't be surprised at all when an announcement comes that PGI is bankrupt and MWO has either been sold (hopefully) or shut down altogether.

I won't tell anyone not to play the game if you enjoy it, but I would advise you to proceed with caution in this case.

Well, they did get dumped by their publisher and had to scramble to keep the servers alive on their own, so they probably are strapped for cash.

Well, they did get dumped by their publisher and had to scramble to keep the servers alive on their own, so they probably are strapped for cash.

They bought out their publisher who went out of business. If you think PGI is bad now you should have seen it with the awful publisher.

After community warfare finally dropped and its been nothing but mech pack money grabs I've kinda soured on spending any more $ with them.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Sorry, yes, the publisher didn't "dump" them, the publisher took a dump. Either way, they had to scramble to keep the doors open and managed. So I'm forgiving of the "money grab".

All buying/paying does is lower the amount of time spent in game getting things.  Everything is available at no expense to the player other than their time to earn it.  

There aren't special pay only mechs or weapons so it isn't pay2win.

This is not the definition of pay2win. There are almost literally zero games where there is an item in the game that grants power, that can *only* be achieved through a real-money-transaction (RMT). That would be stupid, and nobody would play it. The whole reason the free2play model works is because buying items with RMT doesn't usually feel too unbalanced for non-playing players. PC Gamer wrote a great article about this, contrasting good microtransaction games (League of Legends, Planetside 2, etc.) from the ones that functionally become pay2win (ArcheAge, etc.). Instead of asking, "Are there items that can EXCLUSIVELY be purchased with cash?" in order to define pay2win, instead we need to ask a more nuanced question: "Is the grind for free2play players reasonable, such that free players can still reasonably maintain competitiveness, without having to pay to keep up with the power advantage?" If a free player doesn't stand a chance in hell competing against paid players, then it's pay2win -- regardless of whether the free player can still "TECHNICALLY" achieve items without paying (if they grind for a year straight, etc.).

That said I couldn't imagine playing the game and not having premium time or at least buying a starter pack to be able to master a chassis.

These sentiments are where a game can start to flirt more with a functional definition of pay2win. If the grind in a game is so egregious, and the real-money-transactions are so important and necessary that you almost can't even imagine playing the game without having them, then it starts to become more pay2win.

All this being said, I'm not saying MWO is pay2win -- because I've never played it, and I have no idea. But based on your statements, I can't say that I trust your assessment of the game being "not pay2win" given what your definition of "pay2win" is. It's not a question of whether you can buy power that's unachievable by other players, it's a question of what "achievable" really looks like. Just because a player can "technically" get something, doesn't mean they can functionally.

aS52sKM.jpg