Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From what we know of EK play, it should be very easy to establish them. Player run ones in campaign worlds, on the other hand are a different story.

I would probably, occasionally, enjoy them in a campaign world. I can envision them as an area held by a large and powerful enough guild that can use its reputation and members to enforce a neutral, violence free zone. Occasionally, the peace would be broken, but in general a strong enough guild could keep things from getting out of hand. Opposing factions and independent groups could (usually) safely meet on this neutral ground to parley/brag. I am sure it would also attract the occasional bounty hunter/assassin waiting for you to leave. The guild organizing it could even charge a small resource fee for entry. There are lots of great examples of such places in books and movies. Unfortunately, as fun as it sounds, I do not think they would appear very often, nor last very long. I do not see any hypothetical "large enough guild," having both the desire to organize enough power and, at the same time, lack of interest in using its power to seek its share of domination within the campaign world. Perhaps I am wrong and underestimate the motivations of PvP players. My PvP experiences are limited to EvE and minor flash games, neither of which are really suited to the idea of an inn within a active PvP area. (EvE has its high security areas, enforced by the DEVs, for congregating. I am not aware of any such inns in lowsec. Yes, there are player run stations, but they are not quite the same thing as what these Inns we are discussing would be.) 

I do not think you could sell drinks very often...however you could probably sell the idea that players are "renting" time in a building/area being boosted by relics/artifacts/statues, the services of certain support archetypes, and the idea of a neutral 3rd party of bouncers who serve to ensure a "neutral" ground for players, guilds, and factions who do not trust each other enough to meet elsewhere.

Thanks for voicing most of my ideas premise with better english skills. :P I totally dig the idea of neutral grounds for parleying. huge guilds reserving the tarvern for private purposes could also be a thing..

Edited by Mcmanybucks

zr4aXCc.png

Shadowbane had inns. You could lodge in one so when you logged off, you would spawn outside the inn, instead of your associated Tree of Life or the ruins if you were errant.

Don't remember them being much useful beyond that. Except to drop some NPC thralls down. Memory is kinda fading because I think I used an inn a couple of times. Was kinda unnecessary, which was and is a shame on it's own.

Did experience Cantinas on SWG. Quite the social hub but having to heal combat fatigue and mind wounds was very key to making that happen. Dancing and music also had an attraction. Hate to say it but I doubt we shall see those kinds of details in games of today. Kids, err, younger gamers (and the real culprits, Game Devs who want their money) "ain't got time for that" plus there is nothing heroic about cantina work when one could be out swinging over-sized weaponry will gathering the required 10 rat tails needed for the next handholding mission...

*comes to an abrupt halt as her thoughts were now running away from her*

Optimistically, am quite curious and very excited to see where things, and ACE, takes us.

CrowFall will have opportunity to break generic moulds and mindset constraints while, hopefully, passing through familiar thresholds into new gaming territories. That's what I would best like to say.

Edited by Maxima

"Signals, Sound off Plates and Greaves! Line up! Prepare to advance!"

- Saying things a Centaur Legionnaire likes to hear.

Any player generated/run social center is a great idea IMO.

There's a ripple effect when they're in the campaign worlds.  You'll need muscle to keep folks from pillaging your inn, suppliers to bring in food and drink, crafters to fix gear for folks just getting some downtime between battles. 

Your inn can be a source to hire security for trips to the embargo bank, a great spot for spies to lurk and gather intel, a spot for guild recruiters to set up and a role playing haven for those so inclined.

Anyone willing and able to set up a social hub like an inn in the campaign worlds has my vote.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

There's a ripple effect when they're in the campaign worlds.  You'll need muscle to keep folks from pillaging your inn, suppliers to bring in food and drink, crafters to fix gear for folks just getting some downtime between battles. 

Your inn can be a source to hire security for trips to the embargo bank, a great spot for spies to lurk and gather intel, a spot for guild recruiters to set up and a role playing haven for those so inclined.

Anyone willing and able to set up a social hub like an inn in the campaign worlds has my vote.

Since you put it that way...

*casts her supportive vote into the ballot box*

Wonder if there shall be stealing? Would be a good spot for pinching and pilfering a pretty coin. ;)

Makes such good sense to have more places where folks could gather. Would make for more interesting times... and more layers for the funion, for sure!

"Signals, Sound off Plates and Greaves! Line up! Prepare to advance!"

- Saying things a Centaur Legionnaire likes to hear.

Shadowbane had inns. You could lodge in one so when you logged off, you would spawn outside the inn, instead of your associated Tree of Life or the ruins if you were errant.

Don't remember them being much useful beyond that. Except to drop some NPC thralls down. Memory is kinda fading because I think I used an inn a couple of times. Was kinda unnecessary, which was and is a shame on it's own.

Did experience Cantinas on SWG. Quite the social hub but having to heal combat fatigue and mind wounds was very key to making that happen. Dancing and music also had an attraction. Hate to say it but I doubt we shall see those kinds of details in games of today. Kids, err, younger gamers (and the real culprits, Game Devs who want their money) "ain't got time for that" plus there is nothing heroic about cantina work when one could be out swinging over-sized weaponry will gathering the required 10 rat tails needed for the next handholding mission...

*comes to an abrupt halt as her thoughts were now running away from her*

Optimistically, am quite curious and very excited to see where things, and ACE, takes us.

CrowFall will have opportunity to break generic moulds and mindset constraints while, hopefully, passing through familiar thresholds into new gaming territories. That's what I would best like to say.

I have no problem being a hero of beer and food. <:

zr4aXCc.png

My main objective in this, as unrealistic as it may sound, would also be to bring together people from different guilds, making friends..even in a hardcore pvp game :v

zr4aXCc.png

Being able to run an inn would be awesome

Everyone looks for different things in their games, but endless war really doesn't do it for me. I'm not just looking to stomp other people - I want to actually be a part of a community that has fun, plays hard, and at the end of the day still makes friends with allies and foes alike.

There are plenty of games out there that have the whole killing each other part down pretty well. Not many have managed to blend it well with sociability. 

An Inn would be great. Socially it would be a great gathering place for PvP mini games lke:

- Cards (Texas Hold'em anyone?)

- Dice

- Darts

- Slots (Darkfall has these and would put out a system wide alert when player X just won 100K+ gold. It was like putting a bounty on their head until they could bank it :D ).

Also a good place for a bulletin board for guilds looking for people, people looking for help with personal quests (to harvest rare mats or such in the Dregs), and put up bounty hunting posters on other players.

Having a large common area where people can socialize, spend both time and money, rest up, and have the occasional brawl are all pluses.

Of course building one in a campaign world also means it would be lost in 1 to 3 months (when the world dies) so I'm not sure they would work out too well there.

Edited by Dakyn

An Inn would be great. Socially it would be a great gathering place for PvP mini games lke:

- Cards (Texas Hold'em anyone?)

- Dice

- Darts

- Slots (Darkfall has these and would put out a system wide alert the player X just won 100K+ gold. It was like putting a bounty on their head until they could bank it :D ).

Also a good place for a bulletin board for guilds looking for people, people looking for help with personal quests (to harvest rare mats or such in the Dregs), and put up bounty hunting posters on other players.

Having a large common area where people can socialize, spend both time and money, rest up, and have the occasional brawl are all pluses.

Of course building one in a campaign world also means it would be lost in 1 to 3 months (when the world dies) so I'm not sure they would work out too well there.

Y'all just keep coming with such amazing ideas that i will most definately follow up on if possible! :D

zr4aXCc.png

One issue with inns is that since players have space in the game (a player cannot walk through another player), only a limited number of people can be in the inn at one time and still move around.

You will need a Thrall doorman with a velvet rope to control the maximum occupancy.

I think the idea of building an inn is a fantastic one, but why does ACE need to be involved? They're giving us the ability to create buildings and vendors, what we make of that is up to us. Isn't that the kind of emergent play Todd and the team are aiming for? Why do we want them to structure it for us?

100% player run inn (brothel) meet Shadowfang one of KoS finest.  She gonna make the guild rich!!

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/user/18455-shadowfang1992/

On a more serious note...KoS is trying to play this game to the fullest.  Players like Shadowfang, myself and many other KoS members play to have fun.  I am glad we finally have a sandbox title to make our own game...Player run anything is good...

I think the idea of building an inn is a fantastic one, but why does ACE need to be involved? They're giving us the ability to create buildings and vendors, what we make of that is up to us. Isn't that the kind of emergent play Todd and the team are aiming for? Why do we want them to structure it for us?

I forgot about that..ahah.

zr4aXCc.png

Well we may not want them to do too much for us, but if they followup on some of these ideas they would need to add code to support things like:

1) Having an inn increase resting rate. (Would need some way to define a player made building as a inn as opposed to a regular or templated building)

2) Being able to play mini PvP games (cards, dice, darts, etc...) and be able to support betting in such games.

3) Have a bulletin board as a craftable object and have code to support adding, reading, and deleting various postings

4) Being able to put bounties on other players

Edited by Dakyn

My main objective in this, as unrealistic as it may sound, would also be to bring together people from different guilds, making friends..even in a hardcore pvp game :v

And to make a thriving environment for your guild ;)

I'm watching you...

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I would love to work as a cook at a player-run Inn. I could imagine the Inn would share a wall or be otherwise close to and associated with a neural guild's main Keep. This could keep ruffians to a minimum and it'd be considered a protected area were there nearby guild hall could police the area around the inn.

Keeping in mind trade will likely remain with the bartering system, so people would be trading ores, uncooked food stuffs, monster parts that are useful for making armor plates, all sorts of stuff.  On an upper level a bridge could lead into the main keep so that inn employees can, after a transaction, drop off goods into the main keep and return quickly without having to leave the immediate area or go around into the main entrance.

I dont get how my guild directly benefits from a public inn? ._.

An inflow of resources for services rendered that would otherwise not be getting received. Reputation within the server that there is a safe place to relax and put your guard down. The protection from other guilds who respect what you are doing and will come to your aid should the Inn's controlling keep be attacked.