Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I could easily see an Inn popping up in the campaign worlds at the earlier layers. If I'm remembering the game play functionality correctly... The first level outside of the Eternal Kingdoms is going to allow PvP between players who follow different gods, so there would be the fewest number of opposing sides. So even if there are guilds and clans who are enemies, they may worship the same deity and could meet somewhat in a neutral setting (or hire an assassin from a different creed). And if not, you only have to worry about (I think) three different groups.

On the other hand, maybe the first hubs of trade and resource gathering are owned by a single team and are exclusionary, and someone decides to make an Inn for their side. I would be far less likely to attack the base regardless of the amount of guards stationed if I knew there were 20 to 30 other players milling about inside who could suddenly come to aid the defense. Also a hub like that would have caravans and supplies being fed into it, which would make some nice targets.

So even if the Inns aren't made open and welcome to all willing to enter and play nice, I think it will enhance the player driven aspect of the game.

Well we may not want them to do too much for us, but if they followup on some of these ideas they would need to add code to support things like:

1) Having an inn increase resting rate. (Would need some way to define a player made building as a inn as opposed to a regular or templated building)

2) Being able to play mini PvP games (cards, dice, darts, etc...) and be able to support betting in such games.

3) Have a bulletin board as a craftable object and have code to support adding, reading, and deleting various postings

4) Being able to put bounties on other players

A valid point to be sure. 

On the resting rate, I wonder if they won't have craft-able items that designate buildings as having certain aspects. It just seems to tie in with the direction they're going with some of the statues and trophies in the EKs. For me, that and the signs would be the two big ones as far as extra coding to allow for inns initially. I'm really hoping for customizable signs, and there's been a fair amount of discussion on that elsewhere. To be honest though, as nice as an increased resting rate is, it's not necessary for something like a player run inn to be a success. Food and drink vendors providing items that increase warmth (That's the mechanic linked to food and drink last I read) and a good trade of information/rp would likely keep the place busy.

The mini games are a cool idea, but I'm not sure I personally want to see Ace putting effort into something like that before launch. I would very much prefer that they get the build/conquer/destroy and combat play solid before adding some of those frills. I'm confident that once the game is solid, these gentlemen have the passion to follow through with the embellishments.

Lastly, when it comes to the idea of bounties, I'm not sure there needs to be a mechanic there at all. Yes, a UI for that sort of thing can be nice and simplify game play, but this is not meant to be a simplified game (in my opinion). Having to find someone to take on a bounty, and risking their wrath if you don't pay them, not only seem to fit into the vision of the game as I understand it, but also adds value to meeting places like this.

A valid point to be sure. 

On the resting rate, I wonder if they won't have craft-able items that designate buildings as having certain aspects. It just seems to tie in with the direction they're going with some of the statues and trophies in the EKs. For me, that and the signs would be the two big ones as far as extra coding to allow for inns initially. I'm really hoping for customizable signs, and there's been a fair amount of discussion on that elsewhere. To be honest though, as nice as an increased resting rate is, it's not necessary for something like a player run inn to be a success. Food and drink vendors providing items that increase warmth (That's the mechanic linked to food and drink last I read) and a good trade of information/rp would likely keep the place busy.

The mini games are a cool idea, but I'm not sure I personally want to see Ace putting effort into something like that before launch. I would very much prefer that they get the build/conquer/destroy and combat play solid before adding some of those frills. I'm confident that once the game is solid, these gentlemen have the passion to follow through with the embellishments.

Lastly, when it comes to the idea of bounties, I'm not sure there needs to be a mechanic there at all. Yes, a UI for that sort of thing can be nice and simplify game play, but this is not meant to be a simplified game (in my opinion). Having to find someone to take on a bounty, and risking their wrath if you don't pay them, not only seem to fit into the vision of the game as I understand it, but also adds value to meeting places like this.

You ever watch fairy tail? thats kinda how i think id handle the bounties..someone can come and stick a notice up for a criminal and then that guy pays the bounty hunter..i just have the board

zr4aXCc.png

I think inns should be handled like a must for the game out of all the different aspects of the game:

First off, just think of the crafters who dedicated themself to professions like cooking or brewing. If a smith may have his workshop for crafting and trading, then the cooks and brewers also need a spot for that. Also, those crafted consumables may play an important role, so many people may look for an inn to supply themself up between their adventures. 

Also, the RPG-part playes a great role. Yeah, CF is a game of sieging and warfare, but also an rpg where people want to play their characters not only as combat machines. This also includes ingame meetings like recruiting people, handle out contract between guilds and all the other social interaction between the players. 

Of cause, in some CW there should also be places like inns, but that depends of the nature of the CW (like allready mentioned). I also think of main fortresses of guilds/factions which are safe enough (not lost again in a day or two ^^) to include an inn that is then used as a meeting hall for strategic discussions as well. Also, this could have more cooking places to support more food crafters to supply the surrounding forts and other points of interest controlled by that guild/faction.

The idea of minigames sounds fun, but I think that would be something for the time after the game releases. But if something like such games happen I would be a fan of dice and card games ;)... for the bounties, well, that can be quite dificult to implement and may lead to some problems, so I think such should be handled internal in a guild and not globaly through a blackboard.

The idea of an inn does sound interesting. I will not want to be in constant combat all the time, but I also don't want to just sitting around doing nothing. An inn/tavern or what have you, would be a great place to just meet people and talk, whether it be to swap crafting ideas and tips, get food, or prepare for battle, the possibilities are endless and keeps the atmosphere of the game intact for those who do like to really get into character.

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

Sitting down on a table. Speaking with some friends. With chat rooms of each table. Fun for sure. Just as you posted some custom music to be played by like a band you can hire would be awesome. Of cause when I say hire I mean real people who just like to be a band.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Late at night when i cant sleep i think about random poorly made socks, and the idea came to me that keeping an Inn in the quiet times between pvp clashings might be a fun thing to be doing. however i've little knowledge of the economy system ingame, much less irl..is this a good idea? if possible at all..since healers wont be a thing, vitality-regenerating potions and food would be necesary, and thus sold in this inn.. :P

Sorry for my horrible grammar anyways..im europoor so dont shoot me.

That's a pretty interesting idea. I could definitely see it working in Crowfall - and effectively, at that.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

From what we know of EK play, it should be very easy to establish them. Player run ones in campaign worlds, on the other hand are a different story.

I would probably, occasionally, enjoy them in a campaign world. I can envision them as an area held by a large and powerful enough guild that can use its reputation and members to enforce a neutral, violence free zone. Occasionally, the peace would be broken, but in general a strong enough guild could keep things from getting out of hand. Opposing factions and independent groups could (usually) safely meet on this neutral ground to parley/brag. I am sure it would also attract the occasional bounty hunter/assassin waiting for you to leave. The guild organizing it could even charge a small resource fee for entry. There are lots of great examples of such places in books and movies. Unfortunately, as fun as it sounds, I do not think they would appear very often, nor last very long. I do not see any hypothetical "large enough guild," having both the desire to organize enough power and, at the same time, lack of interest in using its power to seek its share of domination within the campaign world. Perhaps I am wrong and underestimate the motivations of PvP players. My PvP experiences are limited to EvE and minor flash games, neither of which are really suited to the idea of an inn within a active PvP area. (EvE has its high security areas, enforced by the DEVs, for congregating. I am not aware of any such inns in lowsec. Yes, there are player run stations, but they are not quite the same thing as what these Inns we are discussing would be.) 

I do not think you could sell drinks very often...however you could probably sell the idea that players are "renting" time in a building/area being boosted by relics/artifacts/statues, the services of certain support archetypes, and the idea of a neutral 3rd party of bouncers who serve to ensure a "neutral" ground for players, guilds, and factions who do not trust each other enough to meet elsewhere.

Well say merchant guild or independent third parties. I think they might work, if an army is wrecking poorly made socks for third parties who do you think stuff is going to be sold to? it's self-policing in a way.

"Fear not now for your mortal life, for your sanctum is here among the dead."

Why use an Inn in the first place though? I mean if we all have our own housing, why would we opt to pay someone for something we can get for free in our own house?

To meet new people? idk, i doubt youre gonna wanna invite everyone in the CW to your EK..i also plan on abandoning my EK, f that s

zr4aXCc.png

Well considering the fact that most inns would be in strongholds sorrounded by guards of their allied factions, id rethink that move son.

Some inns will have strongholds ... that is why I bring more people with sharp, pointy things and mayhem in their hearts.  If inns have phat lewtz, someone will be along to show they want them more than you.  If you can take a town, you can take an inn, guards dont scare me.  I just want to take the inn long enough to strip it bare of resources and hit the bricks.  

What else is there to do on a Tuesday night and your enemy wont engage?  Pillage and raid your enemies strongholds and bases.  The Black Prince and 50 Cent both know if you shooking me, I'll just shoot up your momma's crib and just have you come look for me.

Some inns will have strongholds ... that is why I bring more people with sharp, pointy things and mayhem in their hearts.  If inns have phat lewtz, someone will be along to show they want them more than you.  If you can take a town, you can take an inn, guards dont scare me.  I just want to take the inn long enough to strip it bare of resources and hit the bricks.  

What else is there to do on a Tuesday night and your enemy wont engage?  Pillage and raid your enemies strongholds and bases.  The Black Prince and 50 Cent both know if you shooking me, I'll just shoot up your momma's crib and just have you come look for me.

If you consider good loot as food-stuffs..sure lol. if i were at this inn and i heard some guards warning about an enemy attackin, id bolt with all valuables.

zr4aXCc.png

Definitely an interesting idea, depending how the pvp system is implemented this may not be viable however, guilds would just zerg the inn when they feel like getting some supplies, but then again that may be part of the immersion I guess.

Either way just the fact that this game might allow this type of emergent gameplay excites me :)

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

Definitely an interesting idea, depending how the pvp system is implemented this may not be viable however, guilds would just zerg the inn when they feel like getting some supplies, but then again that may be part of the immersion I guess.

Either way just the fact that this game might allow this type of emergent gameplay excites me :)

Well i imagine that my "Horde of food" that people think i would have wasnt really worth zerging..like, 30 ales, 30 steaks, 20 bread, 10 apples..

zr4aXCc.png

Well i imagine that my "Horde of food" that people think i would have wasnt really worth zerging..like, 30 ales, 30 steaks, 20 bread, 10 apples..

Some people like to build Barbie's Dream House other people like to tear it down.  It is the circle of life.  Thank you for gathering up the food.  See you again soon, if I cant find something else worth taking.

Oh yeah, I would love to have player run inns in this game. Place to go for celebrations, social gatherings, etc. The atmosphere of this game would suit the feeling of of an inn perfectly in my opinion. Would be cool to go there as a sell sword as well.

Some people like to build Barbie's Dream House other people like to tear it down.  It is the circle of life.  Thank you for gathering up the food.  See you again soon, if I cant find something else worth taking.

Exactly. But this isn't a bad thing. Go ahead and try to run an Inn in Crowfall, I'm not saying that sarcastically either, I would love to have an Inn to hang out and socialize at between bouts of battle. I just see the inn being torn down and built back up a lot.

It'd probably lend itself better to the 3 Realms type Campaign then a guild vs guild or solo map type.

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

Why not, it's a great edition to CF a place to rest/heal up and tell stories, play some poker for in-game currency for example.

Maybe you see a shady character in the far corner of the Inn, I think about the mystic ranger, what was his name? Yes, Strider,

in LOTR! 

Anyway, great for rp. implemented into the game too, which also offer survival. Maybe you need to rest for a while to be fully rested like

H1z1 survival, and u can only rest in an Inn and similar buildings with a bed and a fireplace.  ^_^

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/