Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jah

Misgivings about Eternal Kigdoms

This thread is intended as an appropriate place to constructively discuss disinterest in, disdain for, or misgivings about the Eternal Kingdoms.

For me, the Eternal Kingdoms seem like an odd element to add to a Play to Crush game.  The people who want risk and reward, conflict with consequences, and adrenaline-pumping immersion aren't exactly begging for safezone trophy cases to hang out in.

In games like Shadowbane, the few safezones that existed felt like a necessary evil.  In Ultima, the introduction of Trammel was widely hated by the PvP crowd.  Generally, safezones get in the way of immersing yourself in the gritty struggle for survival that people love about hardcore PvP MMORPGs.

Adding Play to Crush elements to the Eternal Kingdoms was my first instinct, but as many have pointed out, that would just make them compete with Campaigns.  We'll need people playing the campaigns, so why would we try to encourage people to spend time eleswhere?

Thematicly, I don't get why we will build huge fortifications in a realm that cannot be attacked.  What is the point of having thick walls, battlements, portculis, et cetera, for a place that is essentially a magical, peaceful, paradise?  If we are going to spend resources on decorations in such a place, wouldn't it make more sense to make gardens full of topiaries than militarized architecture?  What role do these worlds play in the grand scheme of things, the eternal War of the Gods?

What are your misgivings about Eternal Kingdoms?

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

This thread is intended as an appropriate place to discuss disinterest in, disdain for, or misgivings about the Eternal Kingdoms.

What role do these worlds play in the grand scheme of things, the eternal War of the Gods?

The Gods were kind enough to give you the strength to win on the Dying Worlds, so you pay tribute by building a grand castle in their honor in your Eternal Kingdom.

lolroleplay

Or it's just a place to spend 30 minutes when you don't feel like running around the PvP map.  You can double-jump and take screenshots of your character in front of all the buildings you bought with cash.

I get it.  Uber hardcore PvP'ers such as yourself don't like EKs.  Fact is they are going to be in the game.  Do you think you will change ACE's vision with this thread?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

The Gods were kind enough to give you the strength to win on the Dying Worlds, so you pay tribute by building a grand castle in their honor in your Eternal Kingdom.

lolroleplay

Or it's just a place to spend 30 minutes when you don't feel like running around the PvP map.  You can double-jump and take screenshots of your character in front of all the buildings you bought with cash.

I get it.  Uber hardcore PvP'ers such as yourself don't like EKs.  Fact is they are going to be in the game.  Do you think you will change ACE's vision with this thread?

Thanks in advance.

He didn't make this thread to change ACE's vision... he just wanted a place for people to talk about what they don't like about the EK. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

He didn't make this thread to change ACE's vision... he just wanted a place for people to talk about what they don't like about the EK. 

And I'm providing a counterpoint.

Jah is not offering any sort of change or proposed improvement (even though we haven't seen them yet) to the EKs.  It's just a complaint thread.

Edit - A complaint thread for something that we haven't seen yet.

Edited by teh_ninjaneer

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

Thematicly, I don't get why we will build huge fortifications in a realm that cannot be attacked. 

Sorry, no misgivings on my side. 

But as you should be able to activate destruction for parts of your kingdom, you could for example use your ek to train siege mechanics. And as ACE said very early, they just didnt wanted new players to enter the game immidiately in the campaigns.

Beside this, EK follow the same announced basic rule as everything else in the game: "if you dont like something.. just dont go there". ;)

Edited by Dr. Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Jah is not offering any sort of change or proposed improvement (even though we haven't seen them yet) to the EKs.  It's just a complaint thread.

People seem to feel the need to complain about the EKs.  A lot. They do it in every thread that mentions EKs and I find it tiresome.  I was attempting to constructively funnel that into one place.  Now, when people make threads about EKs, and the chorus shows up to say how little they care about the EKs, you can direct them here.

Criticism of me is off-topic.  Please stick to criticism of the Eternal Kingdoms if you want to participate in this thread.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

And I'm providing a counterpoint.

Edit - A complaint thread for something that we haven't seen yet.

He was making the thread for people to complain because a certain group of posters were going around hating on every EK thread... unfortunately while his intentions were good I doubt those same people will contribute to this particular thread because it's more satisfying for them to just complain about it in other threads because they'd rather try to kill all positive talk about the EKs. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Good thread Jah, appreciate it greatly.

I think the biggest reason why me personally is against the EK is the fact that it will become a place for people to stay away from campaigns. The campaigns have since the Kickstarter been said to be the main game, and we were told the EK was a sort of lobby, a place to connect with friends in between campaigns.

But it has evolved to become much more. People want more and more stuff in the EK and the focus on the EK from ACE's side has been increasing since the KS.

Play2Crush was the main reason I came to Crowfall, and I dont want the game to turn into a quick cashgrab by selling EK items and making kingdoms the priority.

Edited by zinnie

He was making the thread for people to complain because a certain group of posters were going around hating on every EK thread... unfortunately while his intentions were good I doubt those same people will contribute to this particular thread because it's more satisfying for them to just complain about it in other threads because they'd rather try to kill all positive talk about the EKs. 

Cant speak for everyone, but I am happy to have a place to vent about the EK's.

My main dislike for the EK's ( and interpret this as how they will turn out based on what ppl are wanting/asking for ) is that they appear to now be more than a "lobby" of sorts as was originally presented.   I guess it is ACE trying to incorporate the different aspects of different games and gamers and what attracts them to the play style they choose.  My concern is that the EK's will eventually become THE game and the core , the CW's will eventually have a lower and lower pop.  Also, those players , the one's that like to play with no risk.  They are a demanding group.    Give them a few castles. A few Citadels and they will want more and more and more.  I can see packs of furniture being able to be purchased.  Holiday themes all for the small price of $x.xx.   More and more time will be taken to provide the things that can bring in the most money ( because this is business , right? ) At what point does the EK become the game and PvP become secondary?  Like every other game.   Thought it was "niche".  Guess it isn't anymore.  

I don't mind housing in games, hell I have spent hundreds on it in "other" games.  I just don't think it belongs here in CF as it was originally marketed.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think there should be a time limit on how long you can stay in Barbie's Dream House before you get kicked into the CW perhaps.

What's a fair time limit? an hour?

It will never happen, js.   Forget the forum tears, imagine Todd's twitter IF this was to ever occur.

#PoorTodd

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think there should be a time limit on how long you can stay in Barbie's Dream House before you get kicked into the CW perhaps.

What's a fair time limit? an hour?

After a 6mnd campaign, I will give them about 2-3 hours of playtime in the EK until they have to choose another campaign.. That way they have enough time to build with the resources they have gathered from their Embargo, and time enough for a tea party with their dolls until the next campaign.