Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jah

Misgivings about Eternal Kigdoms

But you can.

All CW's have certain Import rules. In some instances you can't bring anything, but in other CW's you are able to take stuff with you from the EK.  Gear, resources, materials etc.

The EK is nothing more than a personal housing area where you can invite friends. It does not matter much to the real game.

I hope you're right.

I read only half the thread because it seems to be repeating itself.

So the issue with a lot of us pvpers have with EK's is that it takes away a percentage of the population and makes the CW seem more empty.

Some solutions I can think of.

1. Have a small amount of campaign worlds at the beginning and gradually expand as the game population expands.
2. Force those who love EK's to pvp by

a. resources can only be obtained in CW( this is already happening)

b. Give them features that can only be unlocked in CWs  like you want to be able to make a bounty hunter board then you need to participate in 3 CWs and hunt "X" amount of people.

c. Create a different currency for Building templates that you only gain through winning CW's

d. For those roleplayers then make the npc population in their EK's start hating on them for not participating :D  Kinda like the opposite of Hippies hating on Vietnam vets when they came back. Make them feel guilty :D

e. Make buildings have a time limit and they decay eventually needing repair or replacement from resources in the CW's ( Make these resources untradeable)

f. EK's becomes like an interactive Achievement system

this is all I can think of right now

All in all I just hope that in the EK's I can make an underground dwarf fortress( I like Minecraft) and I get to come back to it now and then feeling like a king that just literally conquered a virtual world. 

No PvE content though except maybe a small amount of mobs to practice combos on.

Edited by Vitalized

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

I do have some misgivings about Eternal Kingdoms, but mostly in the context of it not being part of a complete whole, but a separate, instanced area for you to go. I know this is kind of the point, but one of my favorite things in Star Wars Galaxies was stumbling across a random house that the owner had spent way too much time on. Here, you have to very deliberately go to someone else's EK, and I feel like that will take some of the immersion out of the game.

But, in response to a lot of the hardcore PvP guys commenting in this thread - I feel like they're doing a very good job of tying it back into the campaigns. Sure, you can go build yourself a sweet EK, but then you're going to have to pay for upkeep and get building materials to expand on it and so you won't have a choice, you'll have to delve into the campaign.

This makes the game seem a lot more interesting to people like me who don't have the sole goal of slaughtering other people. I want to build something. I want to have fun, help my team win, and have that mean something more in the grand scheme of things. I have friends who enjoy annihilating the opposing side - one's guild in WoW was asked by the devs to kindly please leave the enemy capital because they'd been camping it for days - but that doesn't really do it for me. 

I think that EKs have the potential to give players motive and cause beyond destruction, and will thus hopefully attract a larger audience to the game. I think this is good for everyone involved.

Agreed that they've done a good job of tying EK buildup to campaign output. The link that we're missing goes the other way- why does a dedicated campaign player want to bother with exporting the materials that the EK players need?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Agreed that they've done a good job of tying EK buildup to campaign output. The link that we're missing goes the other way- why does a dedicated campaign player want to bother with exporting the materials that the EK players need?

Campaigns have import rules, which mean many of the campaigns will allow you to bring items into the campaign from your eternal kingdom.... Export a bunch of resources out... make awesome items in your EK... then take them with you into the next campaign.

MOkvLlm.png

Import rules tend to become less generous or nonexistent as the campaign rules become harder. So the Dregs campaigns, with the rarest and most abundant resources, allow for the least amount of importing if any and thus offer the least incentive for players of those campaigns to bother exporting.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

My take, for whatever it's worth;

The EKs allows us to reap the rewards of campaign wins, in the form of artifacts, relics, and thralls. This way winning a campaign has some meaningful carry-over as we start the next one, but losing isn't so terrible as to "scare off" casuals from giving it a shot.

EKs are also a way of keeping a kind of score. We kick ass in campaigns, we grow rich off of the wealth of the dying worlds, you can tell because our castle is big, and our armory is full.

They give us something to do when we aren't killing each other, a place to stand while we're trading and counting up our loot, and they give us a place to show off all of the shinies that we took off of the fallen. I'm not seeing the harm, as they are currently explained by ACE. Are they being used to make cash? You bet. I'd much rather see ACE grow fat off of selling people castles that they don't need, rather than selling them uber gear/items intended for use in the CWs.

I have some misgivings about the EK... mainly that they won't matter enough to make me care about having them. :P

Perhaps it is an unpopular opinion, but I very much like the idea of meaningful improvements in the EK that impact campaigns in the Dying Worlds. In my opinion the ideal EK setup is a strategically interesting symbiosis between CW activity and EK management. I suppose it would be easiest to give examples...

Things I would like to see:

• A wide variety of minor bonuses that can be gained from relics, artifacts, and rare buildings. I do mean minor. But I'd like to see a lot of options, and for people to have real choices about stacking things for a deeper boost or spreading out.
  • I'd like to see a lot more than just combat bonuses. Crafting, skill development, the chance to get resources, what you can bring back from CWs, thrall work speed, etc...
  • ALL items or buildings that provide bonuses should require materials only obtainable in CWs. It's OK to sell the buildings and parcels that house stuff, but the diamonds inside the bling need to be earned.
  • I would love it if rare building plans were obtainable in CWs. Some for aesthetics, and others to provide strategic alternatives usable in other CWs if you have one built in your EK. (For example, an elementally themed wall that greatly reduces damage from one type of magic, or a tower that takes more stone to build but slightly increases the range of attacks from inside it. Etc...)
  • Kind of a crazy idea, but it would be fun to me if there were occasional CWs where one could bring a temporary copy of an EK across into CW. Only in latter stages, and there should only be limited opportunities (like a half-dozen pre-set locations where some magic foundation can be uncovered, prepared and then used to call forth a reflection of your EK's glory). 

Things I do NOT want to see:

• The ability to buy any of the above with real money.
  • Bonuses so significant they become necessary to win in the field.
  • EKs that are entirely ornamental. There should be a sense of meaning and progression to it all.

My hope, is that sometime in the future, that the EKs will be able to be attacked/sieged. I know this won't happen at launch.....but later on, when everyone realizes how boring the EKs are, and how much fun it could be...they patch up "bane the EKs"

dulpoa76627.png

My hope, is that sometime in the future, that the EKs will be able to be attacked/sieged. I know this won't happen at launch.....but later on, when everyone realizes how boring the EKs are, and how much fun it could be...they patch up "bane the EKs"

I think that kind of misses the point of the EKs. If EKs are boring then... well honestly? So what. EKs are a secondary system, if you find it boring then put more focus on the main part of the game the CWs. Besides they already scrapped the idea of organized PvP in the EKs in favor of the tournament system which takes place in the main part of the game the CWs.

Looking back through the history of MMO's. I think it's safe to say the popularity of PvP games is centered more around the fair fight scenario, such as Star Wars Galaxies and Dark Age of Camelot. I think it's quite safe to say that open world PvP with full looting style of games are just not that popular. Darkfall, Mortal Online and similar games always bring out the worst in the gaming community. I'm tired of the toxicity that revolves around such elitist fanatics who for the most part can't even play the game without cheating or exploiting.

The idea that resources can only be gained from the campaigns should be enough incentive for every player to go out and partake in the PvP action in order to increase their EK's holdings. I see nothing wrong with EK's in regards to the health of the campaign worlds. I can't tell you how many threads like this are ended or that people become ignorant when presented with the cold hard facts, with something as simple as a poll. Open world PvP games just aren't fun and never will be and history has proven this to be true.

Looking back through the history of MMO's. I think it's safe to say the popularity of PvP games is centered more around the fair fight scenario, such as Star Wars Galaxies and Dark Age of Camelot. I think it's quite safe to say that open world PvP with full looting style of games are just not that popular. Darkfall, Mortal Online and similar games always bring out the worst in the gaming community. I'm tired of the toxicity that revolves around such elitist fanatics who for the most part can't even play the game without cheating or exploiting.

The idea that resources can only be gained from the campaigns should be enough incentive for every player to go out and partake in the PvP action in order to increase their EK's holdings. I see nothing wrong with EK's in regards to the health of the campaign worlds. I can't tell you how many threads like this are ended or that people become ignorant when presented with the cold hard facts, with something as simple as a poll. Open world PvP games just aren't fun and never will be and history has proven this to be true.

I have to ask respectfully then , why are you here ?  Why did you back CF?   Is it simply because of the EK connection?   Seems you aren't particularly fond of the "heart" of the game.  I keep asking this same question over and over because I really do want to know.  Do you see CF losing the PvP element somewhere down the road and putting more of a emphasis on the EK's?

Also, this "  people become ignorant when presented with the cold hard facts, with something as simple as a poll."  

Where is this poll that ends threads like this?

We, a part of this community, have concerns and we voiced them.  As you voiced your opinion.  Just baffled by your PvP statement.   

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

There is no universal opinion that everyone adheres to as to what is fun and frankly it's quite ignorant of you to be stating it as such. Not everyone has to play the exact same everything, etc. etc., useless to probably even type this, anyway...

Why are you playing crowfall? Just curious.

gCWxS8u.jpg

Crowfall is open world PvP with a side housing instance. Will it fail? Hope that $1,000.00 doesn't feel like a waste!

UO was buckets of fun by the way.

Edited by Adall

I have to ask respectfully then , why are you here ?  Why did you back CF?

He dropped a grand on a game that is explicitly focused on open world PvP. More power to him. ACE can use the money, and I don't mind shooting fish in a barrel.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

I have to ask respectfully then , why are you here ?  Why did you back CF?   Is it simply because of the EK connection?   Seems you aren't particularly fond of the "heart" of the game.  I keep asking this same question over and over because I really do want to know.  Do you see CF losing the PvP element somewhere down the road and putting more of a emphasis on the EK's?

Also, this "  people become ignorant when presented with the cold hard facts, with something as simple as a poll."  

Where is this poll that ends threads like this?

We, a part of this community, have concerns and we voiced them.  As you voiced your opinion.  Just baffled by your PvP statement.   

Does Crowfall not have safe zones called Eternal Kingdoms? Can you not hoard your campaign loot without the threat of losing it overnight? Thus, Crowfall is not as open world PvP that you seem to think it is. The EK's and CW's actually remind me more of Eve Online than anything. With each ring closer to the center being equivalent to the lower security sector until you reach 0.0. However, unlike Eve Online, Campaigns have varying difficulties and varying rewards and will not be dominated forever leaving us with a bland uneventful outcome, hence the "Risk board game video".

So maybe there's something you know about Crowfall that I don't. As far as I know, Crowfall is definitely not an open world PvP sandbox. I also didn't say Crowfall would lose any emphasis on it's initial vision. Crowfall is currently what it was meant to be. Which is a controlled PvP environment with areas of safety for personal time off from the ongoing battles.

I backed Crowfall because it's exactly what I want in a PvP game. My point in my post is those PvP elitists who prefer certain games which are later ghost towns because of cheaters and exploiters want to try and bring those same toxic elements to Crowfall.

This thread was created because PvPer's feel the PvE crowd want to make the EK's the focus of the game instead of the CW's. What I find funny is that PvE elements have 0 effect on PvP elements, whereas vice versa would be a completely different story. To say the EK's would become too popular if certain game mechanics were added only makes me wonder why PvP elitists fail to realize "the hard cold facts" as I put it. If something is popular then why not implement it? Take World of Warcraft for instance. I can't stand the game, but I also can't argue with it being a very popular MMO. However, just because it's popular doesn't mean I like it. Therefor I don't play it. So, with that being said. If certain EK PvE or even PvP mechanics were added, so what. Not everyone wants to be stuck inside a PvP environment 24/7, which was the point of my original post.

I however never argued that Crowfall was leaning one way or the other. I do however love the current design that Crowfall has, which is why I made my contribution. After reading the few posts in which people replied to my post makes me wonder if you realize what kind of game Crowfall is.

Edited by rhoklaw