Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jah

Misgivings about Eternal Kigdoms

Does Crowfall not have safe zones called Eternal Kingdoms? Can you not hoard your campaign loot without the threat of losing it overnight? Thus, Crowfall is not as open world PvP that you seem to think it is. The EK's and CW's actually remind me more of Eve Online than anything. With each ring closer to the center being equivalent to the lower security sector until you reach 0.0. However, unlike Eve Online, Campaigns have varying difficulties and varying rewards and will not be dominated forever leaving us with a bland uneventful outcome, hence the "Risk board game video".

So maybe there's something you know about Crowfall that I don't. As far as I know, Crowfall is definitely not an open world PvP sandbox. I also didn't say Crowfall would lose any emphasis on it's initial vision. Crowfall is currently what it was meant to be. Which is a controlled PvP environment with areas of safety for personal time off from the ongoing battles.

I backed Crowfall because it's exactly what I want in a PvP game. My point in my post is those PvP elitists who prefer certain games which are later ghost towns because of cheaters and exploiters want to try and bring those same toxic elements to Crowfall.

This thread was created because PvPer's feel the PvE crowd want to make the EK's the focus of the game instead of the CW's. What I find funny is that PvE elements have 0 effect on PvP elements, whereas vice versa would be a completely different story. To say the EK's would become too popular if certain game mechanics were added only makes me wonder why PvP elitists fail to realize "the hard cold facts" as I put it. If something is popular then why not implement it? Take World of Warcraft for instance. I can't stand the game, but I also can't argue with it being a very popular MMO. However, just because it's popular doesn't mean I like it. Therefor I don't play it. So, with that being said. If certain EK PvE or even PvP mechanics were added, so what. Not everyone wants to be stuck inside a PvP environment 24/7, which was the point of my original post.

I however never argued that Crowfall was leaning one way or the other. I do however love the current design that Crowfall has, which is why I made my contribution. After reading the few posts in which people replied to my post makes me wonder if you realize what kind of game Crowfall is.

The Eternal Kingdoms existence does not render the campaign worlds less of an Open World PvP Sandbox situation.

Ultima Online was probably the most open world pvp sandbox game there was, but it also had safe(ish) zones, safe(ish) housing and loot no one could touch (in banks or locked down in your house).

I get you are scared of cheaters and exploiters, but I believe that is up to the development team to fix those issues. Hopefully your $1000.00 can go to work on that. Open world sandbox pvp games are not in themselves bad or less fun, it just sounds like you had experiences playing the wrong games made by poor development teams. Perhaps pick better sandbox pvp games in the future?

This thread was created because PvPer's feel the PvE crowd want to make the EK's the focus of the game instead of the CW's. What I find funny is that PvE elements have 0 effect on PvP elements, whereas vice versa would be a completely different story. To say the EK's would become too popular if certain game mechanics were added only makes me wonder why PvP elitists fail to realize "the hard cold facts" as I put it. If something is popular then why not implement it?

If you implement a bunch of things into the EKs there is a good chance a large portion of the playing population will stay in the EKs and not in the CWs.

Yes, I'm a troll. A rich one at that.

That's cool.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

EKs are secondary. Campaign Worlds are the game and they are open world PVP. EKs are simply for in between campaigns. Nothing more.

Ok, I understand what EK's and CW's are, but for some reason it's not registering with some of you that they are BOTH part of Crowfall. It's not like Crowfall is all about CW's and that's it. This isn't UO, Darkfall or Mortal Online where there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. So I guess I'm failing to see how Crowfall is an open world PvP sandbox when the EK's are kind of right in your face.

"Not everyone wants to be stuck inside a PvP environment 24/7"

Well that may be true and all, and you maybe able to go back and forth to your EK, however, nothing out and nothing back in.  And it appears to me that from what was said on KS'er " time spent " in the campaign will count towards the percentage of the embargo.  "The length of time spent in a Campaign will be used to scale the final results. This is done to prevent players from waiting until the last moment and then jumping on the winning team of a Campaign just to get the reward. (In fact, Players who join at the very end may get no reward -- even if their team is victorious.) "  

So, it's not like you can go back and spend time in the EK indefinately, and truly, how will much time away from the campaign help a win?  So, you can bring all that stuff back to your EK?  

This thread was actually created in rebuttal to a different thread in which the OP wanted player made dungeons etc in the EK.

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Ok, I understand what EK's and CW's are, but for some reason it's not registering with some of you that they are BOTH part of Crowfall. It's not like Crowfall is all about CW's and that's it. This isn't UO, Darkfall or Mortal Online where there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. So I guess I'm failing to see how Crowfall is an open world PvP sandbox when the EK's are kind of right in your face.

You can't just run out of a campaign world to your EK with your mad lootz. They are completely separate. Your EK isn't a safe zone within the campaigns. You can export your winnings, if you have any, when the campaign ends. There is no hiding in the campaign worlds, though. Therefore, your mad lootz are not safe and it IS open world PVP.

If you implement a bunch of things into the EKs there is a good chance a large portion of the playing population will stay in the EKs and not in the CWs.

Actually, the fact resources for maintaining EK's can be traded as I just realized thus allowing people to avoid CW's altogether. It won't matter what mechanics are implemented in EK's. Whatever portion of the game's community hides out in their EK's will do so regardless.

Because you can play CF w/o ever utilizing the EK.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Just so we are all clear on how EK's and CW's work folks. Players do NOT have to do CW's if they don't want. They can sit on their thrones and get fat for all we know. I know the CW's are the "open world PvP sandbox" portion of the game, but that doesn't make Crowfall an open world PvP sandbox. CW's are a portion while a very large one, but still just a portion. By the way, I have no intention of hiding in my EK which I think some of you have already labeled me in your heads as such. Quite frankly, I'll be spending most of my time in CW's. The fact I have the option to go to a nice quiet place to relax and socialize and maybe develop my kingdom should have no impact on your gameplay. EK's will never be a threat to CW's popularity and that goes for any mechanics that may or may not get implemented.

Just so we are all clear on how EK's and CW's work folks. Players do NOT have to do CW's if they don't want. They can sit on their thrones and get fat for all we know. I know the CW's are the "open world PvP sandbox" portion of the game, but that doesn't make Crowfall an open world PvP sandbox. CW's are a portion while a very large one, but still just a portion. By the way, I have no intention of hiding in my EK which I think some of you have already labeled me in your heads as such. Quite frankly, I'll be spending most of my time in CW's. The fact I have the option to go to a nice quiet place to relax and socialize and maybe develop my kingdom should have no impact on your gameplay. EK's will never be a threat to CW's popularity and that goes for any mechanics that may or may not get implemented.

I would bet if they implemented fully-supported BGs/Arenas/Dungeons via the EKs, a lot of people would stop doing CWs. So many people love their BGs, arenas, and dungeons after all. But yes, if you watch the videos, they say over and over and over, CWs are the game, EKs are a side game.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

I would bet if they implemented fully-supported BGs/Arenas/Dungeons via the EKs, a lot of people would stop doing CWs. So many people love their BGs, arenas, and dungeons after all. But yes, if you watch the videos, they say over and over and over, CWs are the game, EKs are a side game.

Depends on how it's implemented. However, like someone else already pointed out, CW resources can be traded, so with that being the case, what true incentive do the EK fans have in doing CW's? If there are people who are part of a guild and are only interested in crafting or building up the guild kingdom, so be it. I mean when my guild played in ArcheAge, we had people focused on farming, people focused on trading, people focused on dungeon raids and people focused on PvP. The only thing you can do wrong in an MMO in terms of the amount of features you have is to not have enough. ArcheAge had tons of features and probably would be way more popular then WoW if Trion / XLGames hadn't screwed it up by making it a P2W cash shop.

@rhoklaw

I would explain the eternal kingdoms in the open world scenario a little bit like the animus and "real world" in assassins creed. when you join a campaign its like using the animus. the whole game is during your time in the "animus" (campaign). the world outside of the animus (eternal kingdom) is just to walk around and waiting until you use the animus again. the only difference is that if you win in the campaign you can carry some things over to the eternal kingdoms world.

so there is no safe zone in the world we play, the eternals is just like a extended waiting lobby.

written on the phone, sorry for mistakes

Edited by Garukor

Its simple. You can play in CWs only without any input from the EK. You can NOT play in EKs only without input from the CWs.

Two parts of the game, one is the main focus, heart of the game and the other is a secondary support system. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

>This isn't UO, Darkfall or Mortal Online where there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

You can log out of UO, Darkfall, or Mortal Online just as easily as you can log out of a CF campaign world. The fact that CF gives you a lobby to poke around in while you're logged out of your campaign doesn't really impact anything in terms of the open world PVP experience of the campaigns.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think that kind of misses the point of the EKs. If EKs are boring then... well honestly? So what. EKs are a secondary system, if you find it boring then put more focus on the main part of the game the CWs. Besides they already scrapped the idea of organized PvP in the EKs in favor of the tournament system which takes place in the main part of the game the CWs.

I totally get the EKs and the CW.

I would just like to see the the "Home Base" (EKS) be able to be attacked later on in development.  The CW's are going to be great fun, dont get me wrong, but after a while, when your toons are all maxed out, and your EK is built up ( if you even care about that)....whats next?  Is all that is left will be the fights?  the "Tournament"???

For the Tournaments, i dont care about my ranking, or badges, or any of that stuff.....Im here for the Conflict!!  To inflict as much pain on your enemy guilds as you can....and sieging their EKs would be Glorious!!!

Only if you have to defend your "Home base"...would add a ton of end game play, and politics.  There are guilds out there that we love to fight.  Can we fight them in the Campaigns?  probably ( if we can get in the same one).....but nothing is greater than siege/destroy/takeover your enemies city.....and, on the flip side, nothing sucks more than losing yours.... I just hope ( key word HOPE) that eventually....they might implement this ( or a way to "DEBUFF" someones EK....slow down their exports, or crafting , or whatever....some negative effect)

But hey, im happy with the way crowfall is going now.....or i wouldnt be backing it!!   Im simply stating my humble opinion on what I would like to see ( which is basically the point of these fourms),

Again, just an idea..........

Edited by Agravenn
Picture removed.

dulpoa76627.png

This isn't UO, Darkfall or Mortal Online where there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. So I guess I'm failing to see how Crowfall is an open world PvP sandbox when the EK's are kind of right in your face.

Hiding in your EK is effectively the same as logging out of UO to go play something else.  Sure you can do it, but it doesn't change the nature of UO.

IhhQKY6.gif

I always love when one man argues against many with his own definition.

I don't think we are arguing about definitions. I'm pretty sure we all know the definition of what an open world PvP sandbox game is. The fact EK's are part of the Crowfall game as being an option of gameplay does not fit that definition. An open world PvP sandbox does not have any instances, nor would it have safezones, anywhere, period. I did not argue the point that CW's are an open world PvP experience, but Crowfall overall is not an open world PvP sandbox. If that is me arguing against many, than I truly feel sorry for the many.

I don't think we are arguing about definitions. I'm pretty sure we all know the definition of what an open world PvP sandbox game is. The fact EK's are part of the Crowfall game as being an option of gameplay does not fit that definition. An open world PvP sandbox does not have any instances, nor would it have safezones, anywhere, period. I did not argue the point that CW's are an open world PvP experience, but Crowfall overall is not an open world PvP sandbox. If that is me arguing against many, than I truly feel sorry for the many.

So UO had guards in town for safety and housing you could lock yourself in. Are we no longer calling that an open world pvp sandbox? The EKs are not instances by the way, they are persistent, unique worlds. They are more like a separate server you can play in, but are very limited in their experience. They are not the game though, just a facet like housing in UO. I could sit in my keep all day and not be touched in UO... didn't make UO any less an open pvp game.

True, it's an oddball mash-up of a few things it seems. The CWs themselves will be OWPvP though, the OW just being that specific CW world, not the entire game universe.

gCWxS8u.jpg