Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andius

EVE Style Training in a Class Based Game? Will There Be The Potential to Max a Character?

That's not pronounced in comparison to most MMO's but that's over 200% stronger. And in two month's I'll bet you're still imagining that vet at least 50% stronger. That's a huge deal.

I mean I'm an above average PvPer for sure but not the best. You give me a 50% advantage over everyone in a game I've been playing awhile and I'll trash anyone you throw at me all day long. Give me a 200% advantage and I'll do it with half a bottle of vodka in me.

So there's a further misunderstanding, but that's not your fault.  I forgot to mention that the 3v1 scenario suggested included gear and items.  It was equal skill, but vet character (in all ways) against new character (in all ways).

That said, you also are missing a mathematical curve that is part of this discussion.  The power curve is logarithmic and very shallow.  

So let's say for argument that it even was a 200% difference in power at level 0 vs fully maxed.

In just a few months, you would reduce that difference to about 10%, not 50%.  With a logarithmic curve you gain the vast majority of your power very early on, and the further levels only provide a tiny edge over other players.

But wait, there's more.  If you 100% max all of your skills, that doesn't make you more powerful, that makes you more flexible.  Because getting 100% in my 5 crafting professions, and 100% bows and daggers, won't really matter if I'm doing a sword n board build.

So that means that not only will you gain 90% of your power in the first few months, you'll likely be able to 100% a single build in 2-3 months maximum, because you can max out Sword, armor, shield, and dodging very quickly (I'm making skills up, but hopefully you see what I mean).

Do you see where I'm saying that you guys are misunderstanding how quickly you'll have a build figured out?

Whatever amount of time you suggest as the max for all skills, you have to realize that you'll be proficient at probably a 4th of that time, and competent at an 8th, if not sooner.  Hence, I say 2 years because you'll have a very potent character by 6 months, and a very usable one in 3.

Characters are assigned skills based on their archetype, advantages, promotion class and disciplines.

Advantages can tie directly into how long it takes to train a character.

That's not what I meant, you need more context yo.

That's not what I meant, you need more context yo.

Clarify. Several of your comments have stated that advantages and disadvantages are unrelated to how long it takes to max a character's skills. Unless I missed where you stated "I mean the exact opposite of what I am about to say", that is incorrect.

Max skills are determined by a combination of your archetype, promotion class, advantage and disadvantage runes, and Disciplines.

Advantages and disadvantages directly affect skill maximums and thus how long it takes to max out a character.

Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

I like the idea of constantly having some way to progress my character even if the power gain from it is slow and meaningless.

It's nice to have something to show how old a character is even if the power gain is not even 2-3%  better than that of a newer player. 

Edited by Zybak

I like the idea of constantly having some way to progress my character even if the power gain from it is slow and meaningless.

It's nice to have something to show how old a character is even if the power gain is not even 2-3%  better than that of a newer player. 

I also want to always have to develop my char.  There should never be anything like a "maxed out char"...  Even if there is not a power curve.  It all could be linear as long as I get the feeling i am more useful.  Add abilities, not necessarily just power.

Devs have posted that they intend for you to gain access to all abilities immediately rather than forcing you through a treadmill to unlock all of your capabilities. This is part of their shallow power curve design principle: a Day 10 Fury has the same abilities as a Day 100 Fury, she just doesn't have quite as much oomph (skill) behind them. (Or any disciplines.)

Remember that character progression is not the game here.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I also want to always have to develop my char.  There should never be anything like a "maxed out char"...  Even if there is not a power curve.  It all could be linear as long as I get the feeling i am more useful.  Add abilities, not necessarily just power.

My thinking would be that a maxed out character would be impossible to do because it would literally take 80 years or something. I'm talking about some sort of insane exponential curve that starts once your skills hit a certain point 

Eve has a persistent gameworld, no time-limited campaigns, so there cannot be unlimited character progression because only players who joined the campaign from the very beginning would have a tremendous advantage. Besides Crowfall is not all about character progression and levels like other mmorpgs.

qOYmAaj.jpg

My thinking would be that a maxed out character would be impossible to do because it would literally take 80 years or something. I'm talking about some sort of insane exponential curve that starts once your skills hit a certain point

That game already exists. Crowfall is not that game.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

That game already exists. Crowfall is not that game.

It might not be. We don't really know yet though. All we know is that getting your initial skills and getting to a competitive power level is pretty quick.

Clarify. Several of your comments have stated that advantages and disadvantages are unrelated to how long it takes to max a character's skills. Unless I missed where you stated "I mean the exact opposite of what I am about to say", that is incorrect.

Max skills are determined by a combination of your archetype, promotion class, advantage and disadvantage runes, and Disciplines.

Advantages and disadvantages directly affect skill maximums and thus how long it takes to max out a character.

Because the argument is over whether 2 years is too long, and the counter argument is "realizing your build sucks."  Therefore, I was saying that picking the wrong advantages and disadvantages is going to be the same cost regardless of how long it takes to max out, because those are chosen at the very start.

The sentence with the implication is therefore "Advantages and disadvantages are irrelevant to the time it takes to max out [being too long]."