Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

By official request: Questions for Eric Hart

It's about time for another "Sculpting with Eric" video. This go-round, Eric will be answering some of your questions in the voice-over. What would you like to know about his creative process, the software he uses, how he got his start in the video game industry, etc. Post your questions below. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Eric, I'd love to know:

• What happens to the sculpture after you're done?
  • What kind of review process do you have at ACE?  How does that influence your work?
  • Did you learn using software, or do you have a classical sculpting background?
  • What's your favorite thing to sculpt?  What's the hardest thing to sculpt?

Thanks!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Zbrush, Mudbox, or other?

Are normal maps, generated directly from your sculpts?

Do you make the polygonal model as well or is that someone else's job?

Does ACE have a 3D printer to print off your sculpts?  Would love to see scale 3D prints that compare the Legionnaire to the Duelist.

Do you 3D paint (paint textures directly on the model) as well?

Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Eric:

-What's your favorite sculpture you've done so far for the game, and can you show it to us?

-What does your day to day consist of?

-What do you use as an inspiration for the bulk of your modeling?

-Do you have a personal checks and review system you use for each sculpture?  If so, what are they?

Bonus Question:  I know you have been tinkering with 3D printing as of late.  Where do you see the technology going?

[@--(o.O)@]

Hello!

• Do you reuse assets? If so how and do you have an example?
  • Most creative people have some level of perfectionist in them so, are you ever satisfied or do you look back a month or two later do you with you could have it back?
  • How much the final is "flattened" by textures to save on polygon count? Or are you building what us high-end PC users can handle then just downgrade graphics?

Bonus Question:  I know you have been tinkering with 3D printing as of late.  Where do you see the technology going?

To bounce off of this are you guys going to release some 3D printing files and if so which format? Will there be a cost associated with it?

Edited by Keaggan

I have a hard time getting used to Zbrush UI. Ended up using other software for a personal project.

How long did it take you to learn to cope with how anti-Maya, anti-3d, anti-capitalist, anti-freedom the Zbrush UI is?

Any advice on coping techniques? I know I'll swallow the bullet and deal with learning the industry standard, but why, Satan, why?

Thank you for your thoughts. :)

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

I have a hard time getting used to Zbrush UI. Ended up using other software for a personal project.

How long did it take you to learn to cope with how anti-Maya, anti-3d, anti-capitalist, anti-freedom the Zbrush UI is?

Any advice on coping techniques? I know I'll swallow the bullet and deal with learning the industry standard, but why, Satan, why?

Thank you for your thoughts. :)

Have you tried Mudbox? Yeah it's not Zbrush, but it depends on what you're doing with the end product.  Are you going to convert to polys, and rig, animate your sculpts or just paint and render them, or use them to project normals? 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?