Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why another MMO?

bumblebee

This may seem provocative but why another MMO?

There are so many MMOs out there and if you take a look at Kickstarter, most MMOs are not successfully funded. I think that the market is saturated.

So why create another MMO?

Why not create a fantasy RPG which is more in line with Pen & Paper RPGs? By this I mean that there are not thousands of players around but just small groups who can then follow a storyline and do quests which have an impact on the world and it's inhabitants.

Take a look at most MMOs. The gameplay prevents that you can really achieve something in the world. This begins with respawning enemies. I get the quest to rescue the princess and destroy the evil Lich. But shortly after I have done it, the princess is acducted again and the Lich is back. This is because others want to do the quest, too. But for those who did the quest, it means that they did not achieve anything by doing the quest. They could not rescue the princess and they could not free the land of the evil Lich.

Also if I kill enemies in the sewers they respawn again and again and again. I can never clear the area of enemies so why fight them?

Grinding you might say - but grinding is a very cheap and bad game design. It is an occuptional therapy that gives players the illusion that they have much to do in the game whereas they do the same things over and over again.

So why not remove grinding? My not go a radical way and completely remove EXP for combat? Make combat interesting and not something you have to do in order to advance your hero. Take a look at the RPG Dead State. There combat does not give you EXP which completely changes the dynamics of combat. It gets much more excting and ist different and fresh.

So why not create an RPG that you can either play alone or with a few friends which guides you through an epic story but also offers sandbox gameplay by building a house, crafting, contributing to the economy of the world? There could be MMO elements with large battles and sieges but basically it would be about you, some friends and the mark you leave on the gameworld. No hundreds or thousands of other players being around. Something new and different instead of having thousands of players jump around before you, stealing your kills, doing pointless quests that have no impact on the world, destroying immersion and killing respawning enemies over and over again?

Sorry if this does provocate some of you but I am fed up with MMORPGs and would really love to see something completely different.

You have clearly only played theme park MMO's. Not everything is like WoW. 

The goal here is to add something to the MMO market that "Has not been done before." While I think it may be next to impossible at this point to pull off, I am confident that they can at least fill the void of games with any sort of meaningful PvP. That is to say in Theme Park MMO's (WoW, SWTOR, GW2 ect...) You que up for a BG or arena, fight some dudes you don't care about and might never see again and then que again and do it all over. My hope is that this game changes that. Games like Shadowbane and EvE were pretty much the only games were if you killed your neighbour you did have to worry about him visiting you while you were sleeping and burning your house down around you. At this point politics come in to play and it makes the game 100x more interesting. 

As an aside if your looking for a single player RPG with old school P&P rules you should take a look at the Balder's gate series. They are rather old but to this day are among the best RPG games ever made. The origional Fallout games were pretty good as well (1,2 and tactics). It might not follow the rule set exactly but you can see D&D elements in there for sure. Neverwinter nights too though I was not a big fan :) There are some newer ones as well but none as good as these in my opinion. 

Respectfully, if you think the market for MMOs is saturated then you haven't played a proper sandbox MMO.

Eve is the only one that is any good, and that has it's own draw backs.

The market is crying out for a well made, properly managed MMO to fill that gap that UO, Shadowbane, DAOC left.

The idea is to create a world that is dynamic and can be affected by the players. Not a static, lifeless world which you'd see in World of Warcraft or its many spawns. Respawns are horrible. I agree. So, have a massive world where monsters roam logically, forming their own huts, encampments, even entire villages. Combat should be skill based and levels should offer more options, but only boost your on-paper strength modestly unlike, again, what you'd find in your run of the mill themepark MMO which contrasts a level 1 with a max level on the level of a grain of sand to the sun. Ridiculous.

If you have a fluid and genuinely dynamic world that can be molded by players and have all the tools for players to cooperate or fight each other without restriction, well... you have an MMO that simply hasn't been done before outside of EvE (which has many flaws unfortunately). 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

You certainly do have a point. But there are several factors.

We are going to see some GIANT MMOs this year, my favorite of them being Everquest Next, if you don't know what they are promising us then google it, you will be amazed.  Developers of Crowfall think that they can deliver something new, then why not? We shouldn't assume from nothing.

For Developers, developing a MMO is more profitable than RPG (I think) Because single player game can be pirated. And maybe developers just want to make a MMO. Who cares as long as it will be good. But I hope this game is optimized and my hope to run it on my laptop won't be crushed... ;____;

Mmo market is saturad of WoW clones, and korean grindfest games gear based.

Sandbox are really a small portion and lack presence. We need more sandbox like UO and MO with real consequences and freedom in a true open world enviroment.

Archduchess Alice

Mmo market is saturad of WoW clones, and korean grindfest games gear based.

Sandbox are really a small portion and lack presence. We need more sandbox like UO and MO with real consequences and freedom in a true open world enviroment.

Good post KDchan

@OP

Games today are nothing more but WoW clone1029384. Farm this get that kill this mob or kill this player and go back to rez point and do it again. There is a niche market out there, that want the risk vs reward.

We want to kill someone and take everything they have in their inventory, their gear, their weapons. We want to go to their home and catapult the walls down when ever they piss us off, we want to burn their town to the ground when they make poor choices,

we want to know that when we go out to go fight that the great gear we have on us can be taken, so we fight harder and make the PVP count. Not just oh well, i have a repair bill and have to run back from the graveyard. Risk vs reward.... no games out there today really have it. hopefully this game does what others don't, and bring back the glory days of UO, Shadowbane, darkfall... and not just wow clon1029385

If you can not get that or this is scary to you. Do yourself a favor and just go back to wow now, cause the first time you lose everything, you will just quit anyway.

Artboardweps.png

There are so many MMOs out there today and I do agree that they are flooding the market. However, I do think there are not enough great MMOs out there and I am in full hopes to see more games try to be something different than be something that we already have. Not that there is anything wrong with your typical kill ten rats and spam dungeons for armor. I just think there are too many of these and would love to see more flavors of MMOs.