Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Legionnaire: Tactical support - Official discussion thread

Pann

Support is not a healer, a support is there to help the team with whatever kit you give them.

Healers are a bad influence, because it breeds inbalance. A strong warrior can run with 4 healers and technically beat 4 warriors running with one healer.

edit: didn't check the video until now, but that stuff is pure GOLD. Whoever came up with the idea for the video deserves a beer.

Edited by zinnie

What does the video description mean?

J Todd Coleman, creative director, waxes enthusiastic about Centaurs--a playable race in Crowfall. But what does the Art team think?

I've never heard someone be waxed about something.

[@--(o.O)@]

Been holding off posting much, but loving the direction the game is taking in terms of the both the support role and how that balances out in what will primarily be a PvP game :D.

I think perhaps Frontline/Backline support might be good definitions for classes?  With frontline being about taking a bit of aggro, controlling the enemy and offensively buffing ones team mates.  I have this image of playing as a banner carrying centaur whilst chaos breaks out all around me.  Then backline can describe the squishier mage type supports. 

Also, this post pretty much made my class choice for me...

Support does have several connotations, but the traditional trinity has relegated the word to healer.  Because that's what is needed to keep the tank alive in traditional PvE encounters.

MOBAs are likely the best way, in 2015 game terms, to explain the support role.  In those games you can't stand in one place constantly funneling health into a single player.  Heals are generally on a cooldown, or some characters don't even have a heal at all.  Some characters can provide shields, some can make a target run faster/slower, some increase/decrease damage output.

ACE wants to use the term tactical support but I don't even see that defined anywhere.  Will the legionnaire be a buffer or a debuffer?  Will he provide short bursts of run speed for the group?

Edit - When I say "tactical support" isn't defined, I'm wondering if ACE is considering another term for the forgemaster and druid.

Edited by teh_ninjaneer

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

ACE wants to use the term tactical support but I don't even see that defined anywhere.  Will the legionnaire be a buffer or a debuffer?  Will he provide short bursts of run speed for the group?

Edit - When I say "tactical support" isn't defined, I'm wondering if ACE is considering another term for the forgemaster and druid.

I'd see your frontline supports working as primarily buffers, rallying their allies around them.  Then backline supports bringing the majority of the mass debuffs, such as AoE curses and soft CC? 

Also hai Ninja :D 

MOBAs are likely the best way, in 2015 game terms, to explain the support role.  In those games you can't stand in one place constantly funneling health into a single player.  Heals are generally on a cooldown, or some characters don't even have a heal at all.  Some characters can provide shields, some can make a target run faster/slower, some increase/decrease damage output.

I hate to admit this, but MOBA support might actually be the best explanation.

Support does have several connotations, but the traditional trinity has relegated the word to healer.  Because that's what is needed to keep the tank alive in traditional PvE encounters.

I agree. I'm curious to know what support actual means in this game from a gameplay standpoint outside of dumping buffs and debuffs on folks (which is equally as mind numbing as healing health bars). I like the idea of physics and body blocking and such so the idea has an interesting amount of depths behind it (depending on what is possible in the engine).

I like the MOBA analogy. Should be fun to see how it develops.

2zSM2Uo.png
Co-Host of Crowns and Crows Livestream: Every Tuesday 8:30pm EST
Follow me on Twitter: @jdodge80

I'd see your frontline supports working as primarily buffers, rallying their allies around them.  Then backline supports bringing the majority of the mass debuffs, such as AoE curses and soft CC? 

Also hai Ninja :D

I don't wanna see it go one way or the other... i'd rather different builds just bring different kits, we can have broad definitions for their roles but if you want to get too specific with definitions you'll just end up with a jumbled mess...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

So this is a tank/support hybrid, aka a frontline support class. Cool. The only thing I'm confused about is why it was released with a DPS icon.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I hate to admit this, but MOBA support might actually be the best explanation.

No need to hate on it. The MOBA scene probably iterates class balance and class design faster than any other kind of game out there. So it's an incredibly interesting process to watch over time. Plus, especially in League, there isn't a primary healer (outside Soraka) in the whole game. If they can put together a fun PVP game without the classic trinity, it's definitely possible in Crowfall.

I can't wait to get into more details about class and combat development. I hate waiting.

2zSM2Uo.png
Co-Host of Crowns and Crows Livestream: Every Tuesday 8:30pm EST
Follow me on Twitter: @jdodge80

I don't think most people would understand tactical support coming from mmorpgs but I like the term. I think people just have to come to understand what it means in our game.

The thing with mobas and I believe this will hold true with a game like crowfall as well, is that defined roles start bleeding into one another over time as more and more builds/archetypes/classes/disciplines are created. 

So it's like even tanks dps and supports start to get blurred, you may have tanky dps or as mobas call them, bruisers, you may have dps that does most of its damage through abilities that generally also support the team in some way.  Tanks themselves are generally supportish in nature and i've always found that in the holy trinity all classes usually brought at least some sort of support anyway...

Start off with broad labels, don't worry about precision role definitions. 

No need to hate on it. The MOBA scene probably iterates class balance and class design faster than any other kind of game out there. So it's an incredibly interesting process to watch over time. Plus, especially in League, there isn't a primary healer (outside Soraka) in the whole game. If they can put together a fun PVP game without the classic trinity, it's definitely possible in Crowfall.

I can't wait to get into more details about class and combat development. I hate waiting.

I've bristled at the MOBA comparisons in the past but when it comes to archetypes, it isn't a bad thing as they are traditionally strong at class development.

I would rather just get some more specific details (subject to change of course!) regarding what types of Support powers the Legionnaire might have, instead of trying to rebrand it "Tactical Support."  Less confusion that way.

Edit:  If I had to guess, think Lotro Captain or GW2 Banner/Shout Warrior.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

What sort of specific support abilities will the Legionnaire have? A few details might help people paint a more accurate image of what the Centaur will be like on the battlefield. I have to wonder if the Centaur's role will be similar to a Shadowbane Bard, enhancing his allies with offensive, defensive and utility buffs. Elemental resistance, damage buffs, run speed buffs, etc... 

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

What sort of specific support abilities will the Legionnaire have? A few details might help people paint a more accurate image of what the Centaur will be like on the battlefield. I have to wonder if the Centaur's role will be similar to a Shadowbane Bard, enhancing his allies with offensive, defensive and utility buffs. Elemental resistance, damage buffs, run speed buffs, etc... 

If I had to guess i'd think he'd have some sorta charging knockback, maybe some sorta frontal cone cleave/knockback, and some aura based buffs for those near to him.  Obviously that's not all he'd bring to the table but it seems like that would make sense for the archetype.

He will most likely be an off-tank of sorts, since he has a shield.

Perhaps some defensive buffs and CC-attacks.