Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Legionnaire: Tactical support - Official discussion thread

Hopefully at this point, it should be reasonably clear that the Centaur Legionnaire was never intended to be a squishy character incapable of fighting on his own.

As for the balance of the Legionnaire's attack power, health, and utility, I can't predict which area he will be lacking in.  His aesthetic implies size and power, yet he's going to have tactical utility?  Perhaps it is extremely limited utility paired with high maintenance, that's my best educated guess.

I can't wait to see giant rampaging Centaurs.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Any gamer who plays more than just MMO's knows the idea that support classes don't "need" to be that classic "cleric class", it is really refreshing that an MMO is deciding to realize that as well and create a class that says "I want to help you, not want you to help me".

If this class is similar ideal wise to the Forgemaster I might have already decided what I want to play ^^. Thanks for the Update!

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

I like how this turned into a bunch of people just agreeing about support like it is a new concept. Gonna throw in my lot with you guys though!

I look forward to watching this later!

So this is a tank/support hybrid, aka a frontline support class. Cool. The only thing I'm confused about is why it was released with a DPS icon.

I'm guessing it's because without this amount of detail about the role, people would have gone bonkers seeing a giant Centaur Legionnaire with a support symbol by his name.  Not you necessarily, but people!

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Support is more of a MOBA term than MMO...maybe even FPS, in my opinion.

In LoL or HotS or whatever, Support usually means someone who is less focused on DPS as a contribution.  They focus more on shielding or healing allies, cc'ing enemies and generally being a tactical teammate.  Someone who aids by opening up opportunities for themselves and others to exploit thereby turning the tide of battle in their favor.

I see J. Todd's explanation of their vision of the Legionnaire in the same vein as this. 

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

I have never seen an mmorpg without a healing class have good and enjoyable combat.

So yeah, this worries me a bit.

Guild Wars 2 combat system, being the most recent example of what happens without a healer class, is just a dps race and the fights have very few tactical and rewarding stages, if any.

I like how this turned into a bunch of people just agreeing about support like it is a new concept. Gonna throw in my lot with you guys though!

I look forward to watching this later!

I don't think most of the people in this thread are acting like it is a new concept but ok. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

That was so funny, more videos like that I am laughing so hard..

Keep it up with centaurs, there's a female version too, that's interesting to do!

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

I agree that it'd be very helpful to havbe a few examples of how they envision the leg's specific support abilities to play. Are we talking just a mana regen aura, or what?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

shield lunge    leap slam
shield bash     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shield spin      chain attack
onslaught

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

See they play it off like its funny but I don't doubt that those reactions occur all the time to stuff around the studio.

But yeah more vids like that would be great IMO.

Edited by pang

See they play it off like its funny but I don't doubt that those reactions occur all the time to stuff around the studio.

But yeah more vids like that would be great IMO.

Exactly, like reactions from the Combat team as they start repeatedly Shield Slamming each other....

rSHxVEY.gif

Support is more of a MOBA term than MMO...maybe even FPS, in my opinion.

In LoL or HotS or whatever, Support usually means someone who is less focused on DPS as a contribution.  They focus more on shielding or healing allies, cc'ing enemies and generally being a tactical teammate.  Someone who aids by opening up opportunities for themselves and others to exploit thereby turning the tide of battle in their favor.

I see J. Todd's explanation of their vision of the Legionnaire in the same vein as this. 

If I remember correctly, the Holy Trinity back in the day was more Tank/Healer/Utility(or support) dps was just always there. It's been way too long, but support as a class type has been around for a while. Back then it was a class with some combo of buffs, debuffs and cc. That concept got washed away with WOW, for the most part, in the MMORPG genre.

2zSM2Uo.png
Co-Host of Crowns and Crows Livestream: Every Tuesday 8:30pm EST
Follow me on Twitter: @jdodge80