Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Resources and Materials

So I was re-examining the economy FAQ and I noticed something:

2. WHERE DO THE RESOURCES COME FROM?

Resources can be harvested from the environment.... Materials come from particular types of POIs (Points of Interest) called resource factories: Quarries, Lumber Mills, and Mines.

5. HOW ARE RESOURCES AND MATERIALS USED?

Resources are the base ingredients for crafting items. Materials are the base ingredients for building and repairing structures. If you stack enough resources to turn them into materials, you can use them for your structures. If you need to break the stack, however, some resources will be lost in the conversion.

What do you think will be the difference between the resources gathered from the environment and materials produced in factories? Will it be: Quantity (factories simply produce more so are more efficient, but you need wild resources to get started)? Quality (factories are more efficient, but wild resource drops are of better quality)? Variety (factories produce common building materials, but the rare stuff you have to go hunt for)? Or something completely different?

It's all about risk vs. reward, right? So what (if any) reward could/should there be for hunting resources?

Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

I suspect the difference will purely be one of scale. I can gather granite chunks in the field or granite slabs from a quarry. If I get enough chunks I can combine them into a slab; if I break that slab back into chunks I'll end up with less than I started with.

The risk/reward comes into play in that a guild can control a quarry and limit access as long as they are able to successfully defend it, but they can't prevent people from finding chunks on the ground.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Like jihan pointed out. You need a group to control a quarry which will be contested by a lot of people that want resources, so I think quarries should award that risk with a bit more resources per minute or a higher grade of resources i.e materials.

That way you can be fine solo and harvest resources in the wild, but a guild or group of people can get more by risking their own gear/lives.

Edited by zinnie

I see greater risk in wandering the wild, not knowing where the thing you are looking for is (or of it is known hoping to get there first), then, if you find it, having to transport it in your personal inventory all the way back home so that you can use it. In a game designed around group play, where a few newbs can take down a solo veteran, wandering the wilds by yourself is highly dangerous.

Personally, as a crafter, I was hoping the rarest resources would be out in the world, available only to those brave enough to find and fight for them, not for everyone in my faction/alliance. If I have to go deep in the earth, kill a bunch of dwarves, an old man with a stick, and a pale lady with long hair and pointy ears to get the Ore of Awesomeness to forge the Black Bastardsword of Bloody Beheading, I want to be the only one who knows how to make it.

I want to be the only one

This desire is natural and common but has no place in MMO game design. A system which only one of your customers engages was a waste of development time.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This desire is natural and common but has no place in MMO game design. A system which only one of your customers engages was a waste of development time.

I think you missed what I was saying. The subject was rarity. That crafting materials will be gathered from the world is already stated by the developers. Tweaking how rare a resource is so that it is ultra rare and highly valuable can hardly be considered a waste of time.