Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

No Man's Sky

One of the games I'm really excited about is No Man's Sky. (http://www.no-mans-sky.com/)

The universe is nearly infinite, it has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (264) planets to explore! The whole universe (read: everything!) is procedurally generated. It looks amazing. While this will be online multiplayer, it will be very hard to meet other players in this huge universe.

A good video explaining the technology behind the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

Yesterday they announced it will also be available for PC. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Agreed!  Linking this here for convenience: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/857-no-mans-sky/

This game remains the one I'm most excited to play out there! Between that and Star Citizen, it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Been sort of keeping an eye on this one. Of all the space sim games being made this one looks to be the most interesting to me. Something about the art style and visuals that really stand out to me.

Thanks! I did a search for an existing thread, guess I failed at that!  :mellow:

No worries! This game is worth making multiples for, imo. Hah!

It was nice to finally see the gameplay video at E3 link all the elements together.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I'm hoping that the introduction of beacons on the planets means that it might be easier for friends to find each other and meet up, since the game isn't really about the multiplayer experience for the most part, according to the devs. As long as my friends and I can link up audio chat on the PS4 though, it'll still be fun. I've never twitch streamed before but wanting to start with this one, sort of make a travelogue blog of the little corner of the universe that I've explored, as we head toward the center of the galaxy.

I'm hoping that the introduction of beacons on the planets means that it might be easier for friends to find each other and meet up, since the game isn't really about the multiplayer experience for the most part, according to the devs. As long as my friends and I can link up audio chat on the PS4 though, it'll still be fun. I've never twitch streamed before but wanting to start with this one, sort of make a travelogue blog of the little corner of the universe that I've explored, as we head toward the center of the galaxy.

It's all about exploring in this game. That part will never grow old, because there is an almost infinite amount of unique landscapes and wildlife on the planets to explore. Plus, every unique discovery you make will be recorded and your name will be there forever (or how long the servers will powered on).

The rest of the game will be key to keep people engaged and playing though. The combat doesn't compare to any (space)shooter. It doesn't aim for that, I realize that, but it needs to be at least entertaining. Trading is a big question mark for me. How will they enable that when it's hard to find other players? One big feature is the survival part of the game. Some planets will be deadly when you don't have the right equipment. Like some on some planets you can't breath on your own.

The journey to the center of the universe should take a while. I don't want to find it after a few days, but it shouldn't take months either. And what keeps me playing after I found the center? I hope there will be more incentives for that than exploring alone.

Overall I'm super excited for this game and I will pour a lot of hours in it for sure. I want that reach that center!  :lol:

ZCcquVD.png

My guess is trade will be with NPC stations only, to upgrade ships and their loadouts, your envirosuit, etc.

I'm hoping the space combat is really exciting, especially when it has to compete with Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Its not going to be that hard to find players, eventually some guild or group of humans will make a planet as a capital and spread the word over the universe

Its not going to be that hard to find players, eventually some guild or group of humans will make a planet as a capital and spread the word over the universe

I think you underestimate how big the universe is.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alMpGcSc1YY

ZCcquVD.png

If you can share coordinates or there's a way to look up sectors/planets/etc it could happen but multiplayer will sort of be like you get put into a lobby if you're generally in the same area as another player and there will be no in-game grouping support as it stands right now. Perhaps they'll get to a point in development where that's something they want to add, but y and large they're positioning this as a single player game with "incidental multiplayer."

There's no option to build things on planets, but you can occupy bases already there I suppose? They didn't rule out that the feature could be added at some later date, but said it was not part of the central game vision. Exploration will definitely be the most significant part of the game, from what they've shown so far.

Let's have some fun with the size of the No Man's Sky universe. There are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets. Now how long will it take to explore all this? If we would be able to visit each planet for one second only -which is impossible- it will take 584,554,530,872.54284668 years. Clearly no one will be able to explore everything alone. So, we have roughly 7.3 billion people in the world at the moment of writing. If we use this number, it will still take 80 years to explore every planet!

Mind blowing.  :blink:

ZCcquVD.png

If you can share coordinates or there's a way to look up sectors/planets/etc it could happen but multiplayer will sort of be like you get put into a lobby if you're generally in the same area as another player and there will be no in-game grouping support as it stands right now. Perhaps they'll get to a point in development where that's something they want to add, but y and large they're positioning this as a single player game with "incidental multiplayer."

There's no option to build things on planets, but you can occupy bases already there I suppose? They didn't rule out that the feature could be added at some later date, but said it was not part of the central game vision. Exploration will definitely be the most significant part of the game, from what they've shown so far.

Im totally down if they put some sort of survival , crafting , economy or some sort of meta game. But sole exploration wouldnt keep me a single day.

Let's have some fun with the size of the No Man's Sky universe. There are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets. Now how long will it take to explore all this? If we would be able to visit each planet for one second only -which is impossible- it will take 584,554,530,872.54284668 years. Clearly no one will be able to explore everything alone. So, we have roughly 7.3 billion people in the world at the moment of writing. If we use this number, it will still take 80 years to explore every planet!

Mind blowing.  :blink:

These numbers are custarding insane. I'm pretty excited by this game.

Edited by Siegnir

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

These numbers are custarding insane. I'm pretty excited by this game.

Whats more interesting is how they managed to handle it. I guess a solar system activates on server only whence a player is on that solar system. Because you just canot have that many planets active at same time. Perhaps its using player-host system so first player in a planet hosts that planet? I havent watched the tech video yet, but i will in some hours

Whats more interesting is how they managed to handle it. I guess a solar system activates on server only whence a player is on that solar system. Because you just canot have that many planets active at same time. Perhaps its using player-host system so first player in a planet hosts that planet? I havent watched the tech video yet, but i will in some hours

No, it's all math. Short explanation: if you put the same value in a math equation you'll get always the same answer. The tech video explains and shows it to you. You'll love it.

ZCcquVD.png

No, it's all math. Short explanation: if you put the same value in a math equation you'll get always the same answer. The tech video explains and shows it to you. You'll love it.

So its a theoratical number and it generates the system when a person first steps in that planet. But how does it save the chances that person has made on that planet? Even in a month long time the amount of data would get insanely high. Or does it re-generate it every time?

Edited by Eren

So its a theoratical number and it generates the system when a person first steps in that planet. But how does it save the chances that person has made on that planet? Even in a month long time the amount of data would get insanely high. Or does it re-generate it every time?

Changes won't be saved, so yea, it regenerates exactly the same over time. There will be one unique seed number for the whole universe. The only things that will be saved (globally on a server) are the discoveries and player info. For example: "Player A discovered species X on planet Y." Player B won't get credit for the discovery when he/she visits the same planet Y after player A.

I'm sure there will be a leaderboard of some sort to show who discovered the most etc.

ZCcquVD.png

Changes won't be saved, so yea, it regenerates exactly the same over time. There will be one unique seed number for the whole universe. The only things that will be saved (globally on a server) are the discoveries and player info. For example: "Player A discovered species X on planet Y." Player B won't get credit for the discovery when he/she visits the same planet Y after player A.

I'm sure there will be a leaderboard of some sort to show who discovered the most etc.

Well i guess that is where Crowfall shines. The worlds are temporary but information is saved