Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Subverting the Patriarchal Paradigm

Vaeryx

(A quote by Alaska Young in Looking For Alaska)

As Kaeari flew deep into the woods, wind flowing through her long black hair she thought what her brother'd think of joining Lady Tayeko. Tayeko obviously didn't think peace was the answer to everything, although it may have seemed that way, even Kae herself didn't know what Tayeko intended. As the night grew darker and the lights of a nearby town grew brighter she wondered if her brother was still alive. Even if he was, she couldn't be sure that he'd give in to female reign. After almost being killed through the Farewell Kiss at birth, maybe he lost his trust in females like the mindset that Kae was trained to have toward males. Either way, the Hellspires needed more champions and her brother was a prime candidate.

She flew to a tavern to see if anyone there knew of her brother's whereabouts.

As she walked in she cringed. She had always hated the rowdy, drunken Humans that inhabited bars. She walked straight to the counter where the barkeeper handed beverages to everyone around her.

"I need some information on someone"  She barked at him, hoping to make this as quick as possible.

((Hello, I'm Vaeryx. That's not my real name but it's my forum name. This is an extension to a series started by Connal123. If someone could play Kaeari's brother and if someone else could play the barkeeper that'd be great  :)))

Edited by Vaeryx

The barkeep looked up from the mug he was absentmindedly cleaning. Not that is was dirty but more to keep his hands busy and give off the impression he was doing something.

He looked Kaerai over in a single glance. He has seen many different folk of all kinds come through his bar, of her kind he sees very few.  But he is of the opinion that if they bring in gold and don't cause trouble, they're welcome.

Placing his mug down on the counter he leans forward. Speaking flatly "What do you want to know about who?"

{Hey there, I'm Nait551. I'm intrigued by your story and would like to partake in its development. :-) }

Edited by Nait551

((Cool!))

Kaeari talked quietly even though the adjacent humans were too drunk to interpret her words. "Zeryk Darkmist, you know him? And if you have any Nightshimmer wine, that'd be great."

Kaeari hadn't had Fae wine in so long, Nightshimmer was her favourite of all of the different kinds. She slid sufficient payment for the wine over the bar to him.

Edited by Vaeryx

The bar keep counted the coin, slipped it off the counter into a coin pouch that looked far too small to hold much at-all.  Grabbing a mug he poured wine from the Nightshimmer cask three casks down.  While the barkeep was getting her drink, Kaeari noticed a worn broadsword and a Kite Shield with a many headed snake on the front.

Some humans seated at a table behind Kaeari were getting rowdy and she glanced their way.  They were visible drunk and moderately armed, looked like town guards men who had just got off there watch.  The sound of a mug hitting wood brought her attention back to the barkeep, who had just placed the mug in front of her. 

"Zeryk Darkmist..." he mumbled too himself, scratching his chin. "The name has a nice ring too it.  I swear I heard it before, but I might need to jog my memory." Indicating he needed 'encouragement'.

Kaeari giggled, she enjoyed how materialistic humans were.

As he prepared her drink, she noticed a sword and shield with an ornate design of a snake. She glanced behind her, more men, most likely drunk. They were very well armed and had Northshire uniform armour. They were definitely off-duty guards. She didn't want to cause trouble but they seemed to be getting closer to her, they were shoving each other. They were nearly right behind her when one of the guard's hands was about to hit her face. He was drunk and trying to hit his friends but had a slight change of trajectory.  He was drunk and didn't know what he was doing, but he was about to punch her, but he was actually kind of cute, but he was about to punch her...

"Screw it" she thought. Perhaps the death count would begin to rise early.

She grabbed her dagger and severed his hand all in one swift movement. She expanded her wings, blinding two of the others while charging up a telekinetic blast for the last one. She threw the ball of raw telekinetic energy and slit the other two's throats in an elegant, Fae way.

"Did that jog your memory?"

Was at a window, she could see what had happened as she kept flapping her wings. She smiled, ah Kaeari. The most brutal of her followers and also the most beautiful in terms of females...Well, this would be fun to see. What was she up to? Tayeko kept herself hidden. Using the shadows to hide herself, she did not want to be found, not yet.

(( I have a one week dig, will be back later! :D ))

Kaeari's laughter showed the bartender that she didn't take him seriously.  This told him she was cocky, sure she could handle anything.  Was this due to youthful arrogance, lack of experience, or natural talent & skill?  He was intrigued and it looked like he was about to get a show.

The 4 towns guardsmen, who have drunk more than they handle, were making their way over to the bar stand, and looked like they didn't want another round.  They wanted to cause trouble, again.  Average night for the bar, guards get drunk, cause trouble, he'd try to talk them down before things got out of hand.  Sometimes the guards men were in a good mood and would settle in for another round, but sometimes they were dead set on causing harm.  He'd make them leave with injuries, grievous ones (a few special ones he wouldn't mind putting into the ground) if it didn't bring the entire towns guard wrath onto him and his family.

His wife, Annabelle, a stout but tall woman and his eldest child, and Gwen, taller but slighter build, who were serving drinks, now watched the guards, along with everyone else, approach the bar-stand. Gwen's stare was laced with venom, reaching for the dagger up her sleeve.  The bartender glanced at Gwen and shook his head. Gwen cursed under her breathe and reluctantly withdrew her hand.

As the guards approached they did the usual routine.  Make mock punches at each other, one would 'miss' and strike a bystander, which was usually him, and pull said bystander into a one-sided beat down.  Looked like they intended miss Vaeari her as their target today and the "fight" was one-sided indeed.  Too everyone else, all they saw was a blur of movement, 3 guards dead and 1 on the floor bawling while clutching his stump of a hand, but the bartender saw every movement, and he was impressed.

"Did that jog your memory?" Vaeari said with a devilish grin. "Oh it did." the bartender replied with a poorly concealed grin, "But not in the way you think, and right now, we all need to do some jogging."

"TONIGHT!" He bellowed "WE'RE CLOSING SHOP EARLY!"  That was all the encouragement the remaining patrons needed. They quickly vacated the premises leaving only the bartender, Annabelle  Gwen, Kaeari and the handy guardsman.  The guardsman attempted to crawl away but Gwen blocked his path. He glowered at her, "You think Aisley will let this go?! We'll hunt you down! You stupid c-".  His rant was abruptly cut short by Gwen's dagger. "Go crawl up Aisley's ass you sewer rat."

The bartender looked to Gwen and Annabelle, "Gwen, Annabelle! We'll need to pack quickly. Get the twins and collect as much supplies as you can carry. Go!" Gwen nods and dashes towards the stairs glancing at Kaeari as she goes, bearing a mixed look of distrust, fear, and admiration. Annabelle cast him a regretful face, scowled at Kaeari, before following after Gwen.  The bartender then grabs his sword and shield and turns to Vaeari, "and now you are going to help us get out of this city."

{Wow. that was the longest post I've ever done. Introducing Gwen, my characters daughter. She kind of a badass, takes after her old man, potential new roleplaying character if anyone out there wants to jump-in? Don't have to use her. btw, The bartender does have a name, Kaeari just hasn't asked yet and I felt like keeping it ambiguous until she does. I know I might be taking this story in a whole different direction but I just started typing and out came all this. enjoy!}

Kaeari glanced at the bartender, hoping this was a joke. Apparently not.

She sighed and said to him, "Okay, I know a place where we can go, I'm a sort-of authority figure there... First... I need a reason to welcome you there. Everyone has a role to play in the Hellspires. You can tend to a bar and happily serve patrons, but I think you have other skills. Otherwise, you'd not have weapons." She gestured to the sword and shield. 

"And what about your family? Twins, a wife and a daughter. The Hellspires needs champions and warriors. Your daughter would be a fine candidate. Your twins could prove in useful in other fields as time goes on. You and your wife could live happily in a small cottage, only if you pledge allegiance to us though. Cause trouble and you'll be punished." She paused for a moment. "And you have a name." She thought over her words... She wondered if Tayeko would accept them. 

She wondered if he needed help carrying supplies. She thought that maybe if she helped carrying things then his family would tolerate her violent tenancies. "Perhaps I could also help with your belongings?"  

Edited by Vaeryx

Tayeko burst into a dark laughter, walking into the Bar. She smiled and clapped her hands. "Well played, Kaeari..Wanting to introduce these people to Hellspires I hear? Well, I am sure if they can come up with good skills then I will gladly accept them. Oh and please excuse me...I am Queen Tayeko, Lady of Hellspires. I don't have much time but I am sure I will accept all the help that Hellspires can be offered."

She smiled as she looked at Gwen and smiles "Aww, such a wild passionate beast...I love it!" she clapped more like a child who just found a new toy!

"Well, I should be going, things to assassinate, people that need to die. You know the drill. Until then, see you all later!"

Tayeko spread her wings and then flapped them once, going out the door, then she was gone...Was she truly gone this time?

(( My trip begins today but that was such an epic post you did Nait551 that I just had to reply! Bravo! Bravo! :D And if anyone asks, yes you are welcome to join the guild - I like your RPing style Nait! :D - Also, I will have internet on the dig site, so will be keeping in touch - YAYNESS! ))

Edited by Connal123

"Well, I'm just getting all kinds of guests tonight.  Your queen certainly knows how to make an exit." Smiling to himself, the bartender turns to a specific wine cask, pulling off the lid.  Inside, no wine but instead a full set of scale-mail armour.  He began suiting up.

"Hmmm, the Hellspires. Certianly invokes a sense of safety and comfort." He says with a wry smile.  "Well, it's certainly better than where I had planned.  We can workout the details of citizenship when we have the time, leaving the city is my first priority." He tightens the last remaining strap for his armour, hoists his shield onto his back and attaches his scabbard to his belt, then walks to the largest table, it could seat over 16 people, in the middle of the bar.

"Oh." He stops and turns to Kaeari, "before I forget, Borimere. My name is Borimere Wildappell." Turning back to the table, the Knight flips it onto its edge and while the table was balancing on its edge, Borimere gave it a strong kick, sending the table flying.  The table slams into the main entrance, blocking the door, revealing a decorated carpet on the floor where the table once rested.

"wow!" a quiet voice exclaims from the stairway.  Shawn, an 8-yr old starry eyed boy with a pack on his back, stares from the stairway while the rest of his family walks down the stairs. Sara, his twin sister who also carried a pack, smirked and began teasing him.  Annabelle, dressed in leather armour, with a bow and quiver strapped to her back and a satchel at her side, hushed them and hurried the twins down stairs and next to their father.  Gwen was last to descend the stairs, wearing scale-mail armour, twin-swords at her sides and carrying a pack and satchel.  She tosses the satchel to Borimere, who catches and loops it over his shoulder.

"Have we got everything?" everyone of his family nods, sombrely but with fierce determination in their eyes. "Good."  Borimere lifts the carpet up revealing that it is actually a trap door.  A wooden ladder can be seen in the trapdoor entrance leading down into inky blackness.

Banging could be heard at the door along with muffled shouts demanding entry for the city gaurd. Borimere turns to Kaeari. "Ready to go?"

{Another long post. And thank you Connal123 for the invitation, I look forward to RPing with the guild in further posts and, possibly in the Crowfall game XD. Have fun at the dig site. Your move Vaeryx ;-) }

Edited by Nait551

Kaeari sighed again... This was going to be one hell of a trip.

"Sure, lets get moving." She said with a hint of sarcasm.

Kaeari was the last to go down into the dark hole. It was magnificently uninteresting. As they began walking she wondered "Do you know where this comes out Borimere?" She began regretting welcoming this family to the kingdom. "I mean... There's a fork in the cave right there!" She pointed at two entrances.  

Borimere was first to descend into the caverns below.  Pitch black, he could barely make out his own hands.  He reached into his satchel and felt around until he found a torch and flint. lighting the torch, he could make out his surroundings.  A tunnel, no more than 7ft in height stretched and curved in 2 opposing directions.  The ground was gravelly and well worn, indicating use over a long period of time.

His family, one-by-one, made their way down the ladder with Kaeari bringing up the rear, who looked very displeased with the method of escape.  Borimere smirked. "This way."  Me motioned to the North-east tunnel and, without waiting for a response, began leading the way.  His family and Kaeari followed in silence, broken only by the twins occasional bickering.  Gwen would cast brief, curious glances Kaeari's way every so often while Annabelle would watch Kaeari like a hawk, keeping herself between Kaeari and the twins, especially Shawn. The twins however, when they weren't bickering, were sneaking quick peeks at Kaeari and biting back all sort of questions. 

"Do you know where this comes out Borimere?" Kaeari inquired. "Of course," Borimere replied, "This is not the first time I've used these tunnels." Kaeari replied "I mean... There's a fork in the cave right there!" Borimere looked ahead and could just make out a split in the tunnel ahead. When they reached the fork Borimere inspected both tunnel entrances, feeling the sides of the mouth for each "Hmmm. We go left, there's been a cave-in down the right path."

As the group travelled the tunnels, they came across several ladders leading to entrances above ground. Borimere would check the etching behind each ladder, shaking his head and the group would move on. 

Annabelle turned to her husband, "How much further till we reach the city limits."

Borimere turned to her "We've probable already passed them, its just a matter of time before we reach the exit next to the stables," speaking optimisticly.  

"Good" Annabelle inwardly sighed but still look troubled.

"Do you think there's anything for us at this 'Hellspires'?"

"There's a lot more possibilities for us there than there are here." Borimere remarked.

"I know... But what we had here in Balador City, the tavern and all our friends, we're leaving behind. And the information network..."  she said remorsefully.

"From the way things were going, Aisley and his guard would have forced us out sooner or later anyways.  The network isn't my priority, you are."  He looked straight at her, with a worm softness in his eyes, "All of you. Besides, we have other people stationed elsewhere in town. The network is fine."

Annabelle smiled and sighed, "I just hope things will work out..."

"Things will or else i'll make them," Borimere smiled to himself, and Annabelle couldn't suppress a chuckle.

While Borimere and Annabelle were conversing, Gwen approached Kaeari. "... Soooo, what are the Hellspires and what are they like?"

{Argh! this took forever! I now fully understand the meaning to 'writing yourself into a corner'.  I tried to put too much plot into one post that just started to take the story in a whole different direction that was way too convoluted. Glad its done XP }

Kaeari answered Gwen's question "Well, the Hellspires are a kingdom ruled by queen Tayeko. There are lots of opportunities for great lives and stuff. The one thing we lack is an army though."

She looked behind the group for a moment. She saw a pair of green eyes. She disregarded it though as they'd been in the tunnels for a while and she might have been hallucinating. Kae didn't fare well in the dark.

Tayeko was already in the tunnels though she was here for her own reasons. On the side of the tunnels was a large circular room. It was quite tall, tall enough to fly in. Tayeko looked around, picking up a chest and smiling as she shook it, it ringed with metals, coins, maybe a ring or necklace  as well! The perfect thing to have in a jewelry room!

Tayeko started dashing down the tunnels, trying to escape from the monsters in the Tunnels. Thinking to herself "Why, oh why did I think this was a good idea?!" she smiled and kept on running!

A Genucian tunnel bumps show up on the cave floor, and Coin pokes her head up 'Hey guys, Did ya miss me? Ooohhh ... it's dark in here ...'

Edited by Evildoer2512

Borimere was startled by the sudden appearance of the Guinecean and was drawing his sword.  But when he saw Kaeari's delighted reaction, he sheathed his sword but he did not take his hand off the handle.  Annabelle maintained her guard, while Gwen who was initially taken aback by Coin's sudden appearance she immediately softened upon seeing Coin's adorable face (Soft spot for cute things, but would never admit it openly).  The twins, however, showed no hesitation in meeting the new arrival with innocent curiosity.

"Was never expecting to see a Guinecean in these tunnels. She a friend of yours Kaeari?" Borimere inquired.