Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Combat: No phake physics - Official discussion thread

I understand this, but can anyone give me any advantages to having a smaller light char.  If they inherently make those smaller lighter players faster/quicker by design that is one thing.  Is there any advantages to be smaller lighter for physics sake?  This is no easy task they are undertaking.  It all sounds fun but what they are attempting f HUGE for online gaming.  This in itself can create huge balance issues between classes.

I really hope they can pull it all off...Kudos for attempting to do so.  These are some of the reasons I backed this team with my multiple pledges. 

The way I see it is that the size/race stuff is just fluff.  You just have to look at archetypes as a set of properties and evaluate what they are good and bad at. 

Is being smaller or lighter a disadvantage, is there any advantage to it?  Who knows, but that's just one aspect of some archetypes, those disadvantages and advantages may be supplemented by other aspects of the archetypes. 

Maybe it's easier for smaller or lighter characters to stop on a dime and change directions and such... which would be a very big deal in action combat.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Can someone give me an example of how a smaller type players will benefit more from physics then a larger type player?

I am afraid that everyone will want to be a centaur.  Will smaller more agile players be faster?  What advantages will they have?  It is real easy to pick out the disadvantages.

I can easily envision a smaller character stopping and turning in a smaller amount of distance much more than a lumbering flab character. I plan to scream olé many times as I dodge larger characters and they go splat into something or off a vertical surface like a cliff :)

Edited by oberon

I don't think it would be wise to force players who don't want to do some things to do them... it would be like forcing all nondregs players to play in dregs...

Or it would be like forcing dregs players to build in the EK to recieve buffs.....oh wait

Or it would be like forcing dregs players to build in the EK to recieve buffs.....oh wait

Bwhahaha!   +1 :)

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Luckily they aren't forcing anyone to do that..

I am not going to have another 10 page discussion with you on this topic.. We all know every competitive player in the world is going to take the buffs. So it is forcing competitive pvp'ers into the EK.

If we have to go into the EK to get buffs, it should only seem fair EK players have to go into The Dregs to receive building permits before they can place their houses.

Please ease up on this obsession with real physics. This is still a fantasy game. Gives us lots of fantasy along with the 'realism grind' and I do not mean just fantasy lore. It is what I have donated for and have high hopes as well. Just my simple 2 cents worth, not a rage quit.

To be clear, making the game fun is the priority, not trying to make a 'realistic simulation'.   We're including physics because we think it will add to the emergent gameplay (i.e. the fun), not because we have some need to make the game more realistic.

One of my core design tenets: Funism > Realism, Always.

physics is new area, so expect a lot of experimentation.  anything that isn't fun fun will be dropped or tweaked immediately.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I am not going to have another 10 page discussion with you on this topic.. We all know every competitive player in the world is going to take the buffs. So it is forcing competitive pvp'ers into the EK.

If we have to go into the EK to get buffs, it should only seem fair EK players have to go into The Dregs to receive building permits before they can place their houses.

The buffs are minor.... and the EK players already have the disadvantage of not having easy access to rare resources and mats... Just as they are disadvantaged in a way by not participating in the CW, you may be disadvantaged in a way for not participating in the EK... almost as if people aiming for a more well-rounded experience are playing the game to a fuller extent than those who are not. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Can someone give me an example of how a smaller type players will benefit more from physics then a larger type player?

I am afraid that everyone will want to be a centaur.  Will smaller more agile players be faster?  What advantages will they have?  It is real easy to pick out the disadvantages.

The larger races/archetypes will likely use up more of your creation points, meaning you have less to spend on stats and advantages/disadvantages during creation, to offset the benefits of not being knocked around so easily.

Also, I'm going to Amazon and ordering my Geforce Titan for that dedicated PhysX card.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

... or even better, forcing EK players to rely on the CW for building materials.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

15 m was a typo. It's been corrected: 1.5 m. 

LOL okay. now it makes much more sense.

Good job btw, looking forward to pull myself up to the wall with those skills.

Edited by brian1611

To be clear, making the game fun is the priority, not trying to make a 'realistic simulation'.   We're including physics because we think it will add to the emergent gameplay (i.e. the fun), not because we have some need to make the game more realistic.

One of my core design tenets: Funism > Realism, Always.

physics is new area, so expect a lot of experimentation.  anything that isn't fun fun will be dropped or tweaked immediately.

Todd

I have zero problems with what your trying to do, I just want to see Physics benefit more then just big fat overweight archtypes.  The examples posted would be cool if kinetic energy played a key role.  The heavier you are the more damage you take while being pulled or yanked towards a larger char.  If that char pulls to much towards him, he should be knocked down and take damage as well.  This would force that archtype with the pull to use his head a bit.

Also, I'm going to Amazon and ordering my Geforce Titan for that dedicated PhysX card.

damn that new 3 tier system is going to cost me a fortune!!, oh, wait until game gets closer to release.  That titian will be half of today's price.