Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOVE Support? (first eye-tracking VR Headset)

Kraahk

Some month ago we reached the Stretch-Goal for VR-Headset Support. To say Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Now two weeks ago i heard about the new FOVE VR Headset (actually kickstarting, with a focus on developers). This Headset tracks eye movement and tells the system where you are looking at. So for example you can target an enemy with your eyes and shoot with an eyeblink, instead of using a mouse.

Somehow this feels like technical frippery. But the general idea of it is just awesome. Too awesome to not ask:

Could this be something for Crowfall?

As long as Unity makes an update for it and it becomes big enough for gamers to buy said product, there should not be any problems for ACE to implement it.

But it boils down to Unity in the end, and whether or not they have the compatibility 

well, they say "our sdk seamlessly integrates contet from unity, unreal engine and cryengine."

especially i like the idea, that the system knows what you are looking at. its not all about aiming and shooting. it is also about making it possible to let the game react depending on where you are looking. maybe it is to early now, because fove isnt known much yet. but imagine the impact on things like stealth abilities. detection bonus if you look exactely where someone is hiding. npc's reacting if you look at them. beasts might back off if you stare at them. i dont know, but this could be a really big thing within the next decade.

well, they say "our sdk seamlessly integrates contet from unity, unreal engine and cryengine."

especially i like the idea, that the system knows what you are looking at. its not all about aiming and shooting. it is also about making it possible to let the game react depending on where you are looking. maybe it is to early now, because fove isnt known much yet. but imagine the impact on things like stealth abilities. detection bonus if you look exactely where someone is hiding. npc's reacting if you look at them. beasts might back off if you stare at them. i dont know, but this could be a really big thing within the next decade.

Well, most of these things can be made with head-tracking aswell. Other then its uses in FPS game, only benefit i see is on depth of the field. Since game will know where you are exactly looking at, depth of the field will be calculated in much better way.

So for example you can target an enemy with your eyes and shoot with an eyeblink, instead of using a mouse.

So if I have a .50cal machine gun I basically close my eyes untill I have no ammo

2whf87a.jpg