Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Development: Designing Indie Games

valor

I came across this project through twitter but the guy who's putting it all together has some pretty good experience on past projects and is diving into the growth and challenges of indie companies. 

pWoAnza.jpg?1

He's seemed to target three very different companies in terms of size and scope, but I did notice that JToddColeman and Tyrant were both referenced.  If he's able to get through the project with funding and everything, it could be some really nice insight into how these companies are changing the industry by reconnecting with their customers on a more intimate (and financial) level.

Kickstarter Project Information: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1213976622/in-development-designing-indie-games

I like the project, and I will definitely back this one.

But I would hesitate to call every kickstarter game for an Indie title. There are some KS games being developed which is close to AAA quality.

I like the project, and I will definitely back this one.

But I would hesitate to call every kickstarter game for an Indie title. There are some KS games being developed which is close to AAA quality.

It's a tricky subject as indie has taken on a new definition as opposed to just "Independently Owned". 

It's a tricky subject as indie has taken on a new definition as opposed to just "Independently Owned". 

yea, it would suck for one man teams or very small independent studios to be compared with games like Star Citizen or Crowfall which has developer veterans with over 20 years experience behind it.

Edited by zinnie

Hey everyone i'm Steve the Director of this project.  On the subject of indie.. yeah its an interesting word and its definition is decently changing, however I would say that there are already many indie titles that are well beyond AAA quality.   In fact two of the studios that I am following in this doc are definitely  indie studios but they are making AAA quality games. 

As for Crowfall,  I got to interview J Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton not to long.   I asked them about their thoughts on the changing indie market, some of Crowfalls mechanics, designing Crowfall, balance issues, character design, and much more.   All total I have about 70 mins of interviews with them. 

So if any of that interests you then please check out the project.  

If you have any other questions then i'd be more then happy to answer them for you.