Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/15/15 - Templar's, Champion's and a Cryptic Tree?

Hey gang,

A few interesting items for you today!

Continuing the exploration of our art style, we wanted to show you how an idea (in this case, a character) makes the jump from "2D illustration" to "3D game asset."  

The following image gives some insight into this process. On the left we have a painted concept image of an archetype character (a female Templar).  On the right is a render of that same character, textured, modeled and lit 3D.  While the final result always differs a bit, you can begin to see how the art style begins at the concept stage and shines through in the eventual game.

Crowfall_TemplarPreview.jpg

Our next image is another from our "Banner Concept" series.  This image shows a duel between two characters: A Knight (who you might recognize from the character creation screenshot, posted earlier this week) and a Champion.  At this particular moment, things are looking rather grim for the Knight.

Crowfall_ChampionBattle.jpg

Lastly, we're posting an an illustration that provides clues for both a core game systems, and one of our key narrative threads.  

I'm not going to say anything else about this one -- yet!  

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

As always, more will be revealed in time...

Todd
ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Hmm 13 crests of different sizes superimposed on a tree with two opposing symbols on the left/ right...

Could be 13 different pre made factions, with three different alignments Good, Evil, Neutral with Good to the left (Sun symbol side), Evil to the right (Moon symbol side) and neutral growing up the tree.

Edited by gauis

The first 2 images are pretty straight-forward. A character and a battle. The last one is the juicy one though. That one I'm guessing is showing the different factions or powers you can have, the special powers that brings about that damage diversity. Each one provides different assets, pros and cons. I'm definitely Kronos :D

UPDATE!

Compare these 2 pictures: Left side on both, lighter, more good side. Right side is darker on both pictures. And this knight is stuck at the tree between the two sides. Then you have the Cryptic Tree.

title_hero_modified.pngCrowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

Additional Guess: We start from the bottom at Illara. That's the bottom most, the weakest, but only for the beginners. You can choose a path to the most powerful, Valkyn, the Throne for Crowfall. Traversing a path has its pros and cons, and affects your statistics and such. Taking a right is the "good" side, where you got your nice pretty fantasy stuff, but taking the left is the "dark" side, where the evil, but the powerful, reside. Not sure about going down through the middle though.

Notice: The left and the right sides are all animals. The left side is what I consider "positive" colors, to represent good and cheery. The right side has the "evil" colors, the dark ones that tend to represent the "evil". The middle doesn't contain animals, although that could possibly argued for D'Orion, but those look like only magical antlers to me. On the left, you have some brave, ferocious animals, the good. On the left, you have deadly evil ones like Snakes and Spiders. I'm guessing the middle is the balance between the two? So much possiblities O:

Another Update! This one is thanks to those who replied pointing it out!: Didn't notice the sun on the left and the moon on the right! Day and night, dark and light, it further supports my theory about the good/bad. Ilara, at the very bottom, looks like a shriveled inconsequential rat, and Valkyn looks like a very big powerful creature, resting at the top of the tree. This again supports my theory that to reach valkyn, you start from the bottom. (Started from the bottom now we here!) Also, Arkyn (good side) and Kane (bad side) are both one symbol away from Valkyn, the top, and they look like smaller, less powerful versions of Valkyn. Once you power through Arkyn/Kane, you hit Valkyn! One last thing: The center seems like the shortest path, but it contains no animals unlike the right and the left, which are full of animals with the exception of Yaga on the right side. The middle path does seem more based on brains rather than brawn, since it doesn't look like it has the sheer power that the animals on the right and left have. Interesting things, very interesting....

Edited by shadowblade

ϟhαdσwßłαdə

boring bring the real info no point speculation what the last picture is cya when u tell

The last picture is obviously guild crests.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

You guys are such teases. Just give it to me already! And ye it does look like its maybe divided into good/evil/neutral. Also for the knight vs the big guy looks like the knight is dual wielding?

krevra.png

You guys are such teases. Just give it to me already! And ye it does look like its maybe divided into good/evil/neutral. Also for the knight vs the big guy looks like the knight is dual wielding?

Dual short swords

Some points that I'm taking away from this round of teasers:

• You have your choice of gender for the classes as they make an effort to specify that it is a picture of the female Templar. This would then mean that their is a male counterpart.
  • Knights will be allowed to dual-wield and will not be pigeon-holed into exclusively going sword-n-board.

I'm going along with the general speculation that the crests are a reference to the available factions.

After thinking more on this I think they might be going for a Lore based Guild PvP system and not an All Races/All Classes (ARAC) Guild pvp system. For those that never played that type of game that means your guild chooses to restrict themselves to certain classe/races/professions based on who got along with who in the background lore of the game. Example the Gaea faction would only allow you to play classes/professions such as Druids or rangers and a few more that are based on nature. What you wouldn't see in that type of faction is that Templar at the top who would get her power from a God directly (or some other greater power, right Conspiracy :) ). It also doesn't mean you can't kill people in your own faction either ala WoW. The Game That Can't Be Mentioned Or The thread Gets Moved To The Ghetto once did an lore enforced server with open world pvp and we could still kill our own lore based "allies".

Edited by gauis

This is amazing. The guild crests (???) bring more speculation in the forums and the 3d version of Ruby looks awesome as well. Thank you for updating us!

Edit.

You can also see a sun on the left side of the crests and a moon on the right. Even more interesting.

Edited by nicoletti901

Very interesting (everything). Also, if the drops are this frequent, I'll be very pleased for the first time in my life about how a company releases info on their upcoming MMO (weird to explain haha).

Even with this highs already mentioned, the two models seen until now scare the poorly made socks out of me because they remind me too much to MOBAs and I strongly dislike the genre >_< Mainly because of the "overpopular" it became and the market floading of these games...

Taking the stats of "warmth conversion" and "hunger resistance" for example, with these character models, makes me think that ArtCraft is trying to mix somehow key aspects of 2 popular genres now (Survivals and MOBAs) and adding them to MMORPGs.

Hope I'm wrong, and they a bit more original and innovatives instead of the Dr. Frankenstein of MMOs

Some points that I'm taking away from this round of teasers:

• You have your choice of gender for the classes as they make an effort to specify that it is a picture of the female Templar. This would then mean that their is a male counterpart.

Perhaps there are no male Templars models? Yes, they specificed female, but I'll know for sure when I get an actual explanation in more than a month, likewise If anything, this newest release is reinforcing my conclusion of race locked MOBA classes.

Even with this highs already mentioned, the two models seen until now scare the **** out of me because they remind me too much to MOBAs and I strongly dislike the genre >_<

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

Very interesting (everything). Also, if the drops are this frequent, I'll be very pleased for the first time in my life about how a company releases info on their upcoming MMO (weird to explain haha).

Even with this highs already mentioned, the two models seen until now scare the **** out of me because they remind me too much to MOBAs and I strongly dislike the genre >_< Mainly because of the "overpopular" it became and the market floading of these games...

Taking the stats of "warmth conversion" and "hunger resistance" for example, with these character models, makes me think that ArtCraft is trying to mix somehow key aspects of 2 popular genres now (Survivals and MOBAs) and adding them to MMORPGs.

Hope I'm wrong, and they a bit more original and innovatives instead of the Dr. Frankenstein of MMOs

A persistent Survival MMORPG Moba wat

krevra.png