Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/15/15 - Templar's, Champion's and a Cryptic Tree?

Additional Guess: We start from the bottom at Illara. That's the bottom most, the weakest, but only for the beginners. You can choose a path to the most powerful, Valkyn, the Throne for Crowfall. Traversing a path has its pros and cons, and affects your statistics and such. Taking a right is the "good" side, where you got your nice pretty fantasy stuff, but taking the left is the "dark" side, where the evil, but the powerful, reside. Not sure about going down through the middle though.

I love the spiritual symbol of the Tree of Life.  It carries the meaning that we are related...an interconnection.. - to our human family - our animal family - our earth family. However it is varied among different cultures even into heavens and underworld. 

Interesting about "traversing a path."  The middle seems the shortest distance between point A "Illara" to point B "Valkyn".  Wonder if you get to Kronos and "branch off" so to speak...the right "good" side or left "dark" to continue your journey.

Also, with the "eclipse" and sun/moon on opposite sides... in darkness there will be light and vice versa.  A thought about the how the eclipse effects society spiritually...there is darkness when it is suppose to be light....out of which demons/devils come out to play.

Camelot? thoughts...

Edited by heather titanbreaker

i was wondering if it may be a sub class or something like that

I think you hit the nail on the head. In the center, you can be a yoga practicing balanced hippie. To the right, you can be a paranoid subclass (SB joke). The big shield at the top? It's only bigger because that's what you are currently selected on.

All kidding aside, look at the names. As someone previously said, D'Orion is likely "the hunter", so this is where your tracking/ranger/scout type skills come from.

Yaga may refer to Baba Yaga, which could imply some kind of herblore. Or maybe you just get chicken legs.

Arkyn's a mouse in Wizard 101. Maybe there will be hordes of mouse peoples after all.

Etc. Etc.

CF_Van.png

So to summarize what I have read/seen so far:

• The symbols on the tree don't seem to correspond to the Archetypes, either in quantity or type (for example there is no "centaur" symbol when we have seen am image of what we think is a Centaur archetype)
  • The symbols on the tree don't seem to correspond to the symbols on the banner at the bottom of the main page (for example, that banner shows a dragon which is not featured on the tree)
  • The symbols on the tree don't correspond to all the banners which are being carried in the banner image in this post which looks like it could be a gathering of various guilds or factions

ERGO:

I now think there are many more choices for the Coat of Arms symbols than what we have seen. In that case, the tree represents only some of the factions or whatever that will exist --- maybe they are in a tournament of some kind? 

Thoughts?

kWGklHs.png

• The symbols on the tree don't seem to correspond to the Archetypes, either in quantity or type (for example there is no "centaur" symbol when we have seen am image of what we think is a Centaur archetype)

Well the Knight is definitely sporting the Hero (bottom and left) crest.  Does that make that crest related to the Knight archetype?  Or is the Knight devoted to what "Hero" represents?

rSHxVEY.gif

Well the Knight is definitely sporting the Hero (bottom and left) crest.  Does that make that crest related to the Knight archetype?  Or is the Knight devoted to what "Hero" represents?

Maybe you choose your Coat of Arms before you get to the Archetype Creation screen? 

(although the other Archetypes don't show the same symbol... but then again maybe the Knight has been "selected")

You're right though, it doesn't add up! 

kWGklHs.png

holy crap, how is that a "tree"!?

Well it's a passive skill tree for Path of Exile. It's by far one of my favorite character building models in any game I have ever played. Sb and PoE are my 2 top.

That skill tree allows you to build a character a lot of different ways. It's probably a balancing nightmare for a game like this though. ALthough they are doing a pretty good job balancing it for pvp in PoE.

wonder what the odds are that, in addition to being a skill tree, the crest tree is also the new leveling system. they've mentioned wanting to reduce level grinding, so what if instead of going from a level 1 to a level 60 or whatever, you start at the bottom of the tree and can progress through 1 of the 3 crest paths, work towards the top. it would be a smaller, much more compact leveling system...the top crest is larger, clearly implying a bottom to top hierarchy, so i can kind of see this being the case.

one can choose a class (knight, templar, priest, etc)...and then work through the crest paths. for me, this would explain the difference between the classes that we saw in the character creation page and the image today of the crest tree.

in a hypothetical where this is the case: it's a smaller leveling system, so it would have to be very difficult to reach next levels/crests. or...you can level up, but losing battles/holdings/land could knock you down a crest. like instead of reaching a level and being there permanently, you could lose ground, go back one, making it a "king of the hill" kind of leveling system, where you really have to work/fight to maintain level and move forward. no way to know that, or really any of what i'm saying, just from the image, but it does make me curious.

Edited by dead sparrow

Yeah, the tree seems to illustrate good and evil by the levels. And the guilds power can be determined by the crest and the color persay.

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.

Now that I have internet again, I want to give my artistic impression to what was shown.

As far as graphics go, it's exactly where it needs to be in my honest opinion.  It looks exactly like Torchlight 2, maybe a little less exaggerated, but that's a good thing.  Just stylized enough to look good and not cost an arm and a leg, but real enough not to look cartoony or lessen the impact of good design.

So A+ on that front.

Aesthetically thou, you kinda lost me.  What can I say, it's boiler plate.  Average, completely ordinary. 

She's a woman in armor, which has a little style, but nothing eye catching or terribly interesting.

Nothing there pops out at me, or carries any significance.

If this this starter armor, then fine, job done.

But if it was meant to be anything more then that, then I would continue to work on it.

While consistent with other pieces you've shown, and you do want a unifying aesthetic, it is so ordinary and bland that it ends up being completely forgettable.

But it's early days yet.

Edited by yoh