Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZYBAK

Change 2 Factor Authentication Method

I just recently got a smart phone (I know...) and I put 2FA on my tablet. I'd like to switch it over to my phone but I don't see any way to disable/switch my 2FA to another device.

There might be a way to do it that I missed but I don't see it.

Thanks.

I really hate 2FA for this reason.

Well I'm sure they plan on allowing you to change devices. I don't know of any other 2FA systems that don't. Probably just and oversight or something they don't have developed yet.

I really hate 2FA for this reason.

You hate 2FA because ACE doesn't yet have a feature implemented to remove it from your account?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

You hate 2FA because ACE doesn't yet have a feature implemented to remove it from your account?

I guess I should be more specific, I hate it because there is always something like this happening. Either a device you activate as chill, being suspect, or this where you can only set one device. Ultimately some massive inconvenience... boo 2FA boo!

I agree, 2FA is definitely less convenient than having your account hacked.

Well, no, it isn't.

Security can be based on something you know, something you have, or something you are. "Something you know" is the weakest form of security because knowledge can be shared or stolen; a password by itself is not enough to keep you secure. "Something you are" is out of reach for the home user until some form of biometrics becomes both standardized and commonplace. So until then, "something you have", e.g. a phone or PC with a unique and non-duplicatable software token, is the necessary second factor for any decent security.

And if you're securing your account with "something you have", then changing that "something" to "something else" absolutely should be a hassle, because if it's not then attackers will be able to get in via that entry point.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I agree, 2FA is definitely less convenient than having your account hacked.

Well, no, it isn't.

Security can be based on something you know, something you have, or something you are. "Something you know" is the weakest form of security because knowledge can be shared or stolen; a password by itself is not enough to keep you secure. "Something you are" is out of reach for the home user until some form of biometrics becomes both standardized and commonplace. So until then, "something you have", e.g. a phone or PC with a unique and non-duplicatable software token, is the necessary second factor for any decent security.

And if you're securing your account with "something you have", then changing that "something" to "something else" absolutely should be a hassle, because if it's not then attackers will be able to get in via that entry point.

I understand the security of it, but I would prefer convenience over security for a video game. I just ask this not be a requirement (I know it currently isn't).

I understand the security of it, but I would prefer convenience over security for a video game. I just ask this not be a requirement (I know it currently isn't).

I'm glad we have the choice. My account is worth rather a lot nowadays and I probably will invest a lot of time in it as well. I would hate to lose it, so I'll take every security measure over convenience.

Besides 2FA, I use a password vault as well. It's called Lastpass, but there are others. No need to type in passwords on the web or your system anymore to counter keyloggers and other features that makes security easier. Firewall, antivirus software are what people are already used too.

But all security starts with the person who uses it. I always use this example: you can have all the best and most secure locks on your front door, but if you open the door when the burglar rings ...

So if a password alone and no 2FA works for people, that is great. For most people an extra bit of security always helps though. And like you said already, 2FA is not mandatory, except for when you want to trade. I agree we should be able to change devices though. I'm sure we'll be able to do that eventually, I just think they had no time to implement it yet. I hope to see this rather sooner than later.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I imagine it's not just about the security, but also about the time it saves support from having to deal with hacked accounts.  Is 2FA impregnable?  No, but it makes entry into an account a lot harder and less common.  It's why most games encourage the use of 2FA with some sort of ingame cosmetic reward.

[@--(o.O)@]

I imagine it's not just about the security, but also about the time it saves support from having to deal with hacked accounts.  Is 2FA impregnable?  No, but it makes entry into an account a lot harder and less common.  It's why most games encourage the use of 2FA with some sort of ingame cosmetic reward.

Usually people get "hacked" because they use the same email/pw combinations on other sites such as fan forums etc, and people get your details from there.. the two step authentication will stop those people from accessing your account easily.

Its extremely rare that a company gets hacked and people lose their accounts that way, its usually just through stupidity and bad luck. 

Edited by zinnie

No theorizing in the bugs forum folks.  (Yeah, I'm guilty too... sorry)

Tully

Greetings Crows,

I just wanted to announce that we've added the ability to remove 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) from your account. You'll need to go to the Account Security section where you should see a link to "Remove 2FA from My Account." Click that link and then follow the instructions to complete the process. Note that to remove 2FA, you will need your current password and your current 2FA code. After providing these credentials, you will be sent an email that contains a link to finish removing 2 Factor Authentication.