Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nakawe

Tab target....Lag in action combat...?

They said they don't want an overly twitchy game, then they gave us a little example of what they might be shooting for, somewhere between wildstar and tera...

Maybe tera just had crap netcode, BUT, the game really sucked playing as ranged in PvP, PvE it was fine......I hope in a PvP game only like this game is they are aware of that and try like hell to find something in the middle not on either extreme.

For the record, they have now said they are going for a DC Universe Online/ Tera style now..... I can look for that quote if need be....

Maybe tera just had crap netcode, BUT, the game really sucked playing as ranged in PvP, PvE it was fine......I hope in a PvP game only like this game is they are aware of that and try like hell to find something in the middle not on either extreme.

For the record, they have now said they are going for a DC Universe Online/ Tera style now..... I can look for that quote if need be....

Of course tera had bad netcode... the game was made in korea... korean internet is generally like single digit ping.... then it was poorly localized for the west... on top of that you play from the far northeast with suboptimal ping in general. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Twitchy combat is primarily based around movement and the reflexes required to execute and react to that movement aimwise.... I myself saw nothing in combat chat that talked heavily about the pace of movement they were going for... 

Twitchy combat is primarily based around movement and the reflexes required to execute and react to that movement aimwise.... I myself saw nothing in combat chat that talked heavily about the pace of movement they were going for... 

The wonderful people that play melee and faceroll all over the screen cause they have a sub 50 connection.  Before I see them on my screen they have already moved to the back of me and all i get is air when I cast.....Hopefully animation lock slows these clowns down a bit.

Humor me guys and use speedtest and hit Bangor Maine...post your ping here, so I know if its me or just where I live....

How is an internet browser based speed test at all an indicator for performance in a video game?

edit: From San Francisco, CA: Ping 61

Edited by facerip

How is an internet browser based speed test at all an indicator for performance in a video game?

it will test ping to the server selected.  If servers are located in CA, it will be a good indicator of the route my connection will take to get there.  It normally runs 20 to 50 higher ping in the actual game then what speedtest says from where I live....I imagine the closer I live to the server, the smaller the 20 to 50 extra ping would be...

Edited by nakawe

Humor me guys and use speedtest and hit Bangor Maine...post your ping here, so I know if its me or just where I live....

I ping 100 to bangor maine from california.... and imo bangor maine might literally be the absolute worst location for gaming in the contiguous USA.

Edit:  If your ping is really bad you may want to check what people are saying about your ISP online in your general area in regards to gaming... also it could be something like a bad/outdated router... etc etc... 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

It's a waste of time to qualify players net speeds nakawe, ACE can test these things and many more and decide their target system performance without any amateur testing by us.

What's relevant are the kinds of gameplay features enabled and disabled by various target styles. ACE will likely arrive on a system necessary and accessible based on their tests regardless of our discussions, because many options won't even work. But if your gonna discuss anything, it should be the desired gameplay experience and features, Primarily to highlight features ACE could consider.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

For the record, I am not opposed to some target locking based on the skill being used.  Whenever possible, I want action combat.  If it is not logical to use action combat for certain skills, I would prefer play-ability over some stead fast rule of action combat.

I want this game to appeal to the masses and I am sorry I live in the worst place in america for gaming.  There are many who live in places like I do though.  I am 2.5 hours north east of Bangor, right next to the Canadian Border.  So anyone in New Brunswick, or Nova Scotia Canada will have even a worse ping then me.  Remember, the US server has to serve all of North and South America and not just the USA.  I hope the servers are in Virginia.  The west USA tends to have better internet then we do on East Coast.  This is due to our Infrastructure being so congested.

It's a waste of time to qualify players net speeds nakawe, ACE can test these things and many more and decide their target system performance without any amateur testing by us.

What's relevant are the kinds of gameplay features enabled and disabled by various target styles. ACE will likely arrive on a system necessary and accessible based on their tests regardless of our discussions, because many options won't even work. But if your gonna discuss anything, it should be the desired gameplay experience and features, Primarily to highlight features ACE could consider.

The goal was not to qualify players net speeds. The goal was to prove to these guys in the forum, even with their uber connection, they won't be sub 100 to where I live either.  Not everyone lives in a city in america with uber internet, most of us live in rural america in middle of nowhere.  Like I said in previous post, these servers needs to serve North America and South America not just the USA....

Edited by nakawe

The goal was not to qualify players net speeds. The goal was to prove to these guys in the forum, even with their uber connection, they won't be sub 100 to where I live either.  Not everyone lives in a city in america with uber internet, most of us live in rural america in middle of nowhere.  Like I said in previous post, these servers needs to serve North America and South America not just the USA....

As I pointed out before... you are an outlier with your ping... they can not build their game for those kinda outliers, it would be like building their game for really outdated hardware.  Most people would find 180ping absolutely absurd in the US. 

As I pointed out before... you are an outlier with your ping... they can not build their game for those kinda outliers, it would be like building their game for really outdated hardware.  Most people would find 180ping absolutely absurd in the US. 

as I said, this game is not just being made for America,  Canada and south of our border are not net speed demons either....The server in America needs to support all of North ans South America.  Your suggestion for Virginia would be the best location to support north and south america along with the occasional European that wants to visit us...

I pingd to Bang0r and got 24ms (philly, pennsy). I think Crowfall will either do west coast/east coast split or all in the middle, texas or chicago. I kinda hope texas incase my likely future guild leaders plays who is a real loudmouth whiny pain in the bottom has less to complain about.

My opinion is that they should prioritize the combat over ping, those with LESS THAN DESIRABLE ping will suffer but that is ok. Choose to live in the middle of nowhere and you tend to have lesser internet, it is what happens.

Also, I like to play with BRs and they will have real awful ping, 200-350ms, but they try their best to overcome it while complaining all the way. Would be nice to see more games drop a server in São Paulo. I would make a druid support spec to play with my BR friends.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

You miss the point, it doesn't matter if they're selfish fools, what's best for the game is not determined by what a few elitist chauvinist on the boards think, and they're more than glad to be obstinate and impractical in their expectations and beliefs, so don't even bother. The only discussion they can have is with someone misguided enough to believe their "opinion" matters.

At the end of the day, ACE will design the action and precision around a variety of factors testable through professional performance tests, alphas, betas and so on. The conclusion of Crowfall forums... "brightest", doesn't factor into squat.

Meanwhile, there are dozens of other factors, albeit mostly pointless to discuss, which impact the options available and best possible choices for targeting in Crowfall. At least mechanical observations lead to much more solid arguments about what could and should be considered. 

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

This thread is overly focused on bandwidth latency, when that's at the bottom of the sync issues these days.  The biggest sync culprits in most recent MMOs (e.g. Tera and WildStar) have been with either:

1. Host Provider: a lack of sufficient processing resources on the server (servers aren't processing the incoming data from players fast enough for real-time)
  2. Developer: poor/buggy coding for reporting and processing the various active data... requires optimization or even a code re-write.
  3. Developer/Engine: the core engine/framework is unable to scale well or process the amount of data required for real-time action combat.

The first 6+ months post-release of WildStar, was plagued with severe sync issues in all PvP engagements, regardless of the player's ping.  The ability to view the telegraphs made it quite easy to do a bit of science and provide proof to the developers that the sync issues were not bandwidth related.

I wouldn't be concerned with bandwidth latency at this point.  There are far more important areas that will need testing, which impact action combat.

Secondly, all of this talk about adding a target lock as an option to assist with high latency players is just a ruse to add features for improved bot/multibox support.  It doesn't stop there, next on their list is an auto-follow or auto move-to-target so that melee can lock onto their opponent in a sea of players.

No to all of that.

Once combat has been tuned, tested, and working perfectly... only then will bandwidth latency matter and how Unity and/or Ace compensate for bandwidth differences.  This is minor compared to the others above though.  

Most players should be running at less than 100ms to the servers.  If they're in the US and run 75-100+ ms ping, they need to look into getting a faster Internet connection or live with it.  Players without an improved option or are forced to play across continents will need to just live with the issues.  These are all beyond Ace's control and they shouldn't be required to accommodate for these external factors that will affect a small % of players anyway. Sorry.

Alpha hasn't even started yet and you're already bringing up ping latency.   :rolleyes:

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Secondly, all of this talk about adding a target lock as an option to assist with high latency players is just a ruse to add features for improved bot/multibox support.  It doesn't stop there, next on their list is an auto-follow or auto move-to-target so that melee can lock onto their opponent in a sea of players.

No to all of that.

exactly this !!! Exactly what I thought first. If we start with target-locking we will end with WoW 2.0 !!!

Action combat is action combat, dont try to make it more easy for bots/multi boxing before we even played! No target-lock etc. is also a good step against goldfarmers/bots/...

not that its important - I have 127 ping from innsbruck austria, which is quite far away :P (and I dont have the "best" internet connection here in the Alps.

Edited by Garukor

You miss the point, it doesn't matter if they're selfish fools, what's best for the game is not determined by what a few elitist chauvinist on the boards think, and they're more than glad to be obstinate and impractical in their expectations and beliefs, so don't even bother. The only discussion they can have is with someone misguided enough to believe their "opinion" matters.

At the end of the day, ACE will design the action and precision around a variety of factors testable through professional performance tests, alphas, betas and so on. The conclusion of Crowfall forums... "brightest", doesn't factor into squat.

Meanwhile, there are dozens of other factors, albeit mostly pointless to discuss, which impact the options available and best possible choices for targeting in Crowfall. At least mechanical observations lead to much more solid arguments about what could and should be considered. 

One man's "selfish fool" is another man's "gamer with common sense".

Yea we are all so selfish for understanding that they shouldn't cater to people with bad ping... what an exotic concept...

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

One man's "selfish fool" is another man's "gamer with common sense".

Yea we are all so selfish for understanding that they shouldn't cater to people with bad ping... what an exotic concept...

Pseudo- Hardcore. All of you, Pseudo. Hardcore.

You're hilarious dude, you deserve awards for your degree of wit and intelligence, you truly do.