Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
savage

Please No Potions or Consumables

Please do not have potions or consumable buffs in this game. They detract from group play and give unnecessary advantages to those that farm/craft them all day long (grind). I want to win a fight because my team has more skill and coordination, not because we had more consumables stacked.

Make players rely on one another for buffs to stats. Make that last second heal from your friend mean something; no "oh no" button to pop a potion.

It appears there might be food in the game. If it restores health over time, fine, but make it only work out of combat.

Thanks for reading this. Please discuss.

Edited by savage

Generally speaking just about everyone can get consumables. Now i can understand very hard to get ones but in general i dont think consumables should be left out of the game. Potions(healing) though i dont think should be in the game. If they are they need a very long CD so that you cant just spam them. But for example in GW2 consumables add to someones build and everyone can afford them.

krevra.png

I think we should stop limiting game play because you don't agree with it. I don't like pvp, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game! They can make it to where potions aren't overpowered, maybe a long cooldown between uses, or maybe "not usable in battle". We need to stop limiting gameplay and open it up for every player to be satisfied.

I'm kinda with Savage on this one. buffs/potions suck.. unless they are DESIGNED into the game properly

When shadowbane was on its last legs it ended up that you weren't competitive unless you used potions to buff (this was obviously a fix due to duel boxing priests) but what with a clean slate, duel boxing and flat all stat potions etc should be avoided.

How you build your character should affect your win state from a fight, not a potion.

That being said if there were potions that buffed a SINGLE attribute/state and they didn't stack with other potions, that could get interesting...

For example:  you may build a character that was AWESOME, but lacked attack speed and attack speed potions were a part of "your build" to fix this problem, or in team fights and sieges, potions of resist/additional damage types would be great, where your build is what makes YOUR character, and potions then add another layer of competitive play, if you know you're going up against lightning damage, you throw the lighting dmg resist potion on before the fight, this would also make the scout role more effective, where they would relay back as to what the other team are fighting with, giving them a chance to have the upper hand.

basically potions should act as a LAYER to gameplay, not a requirement. If they also were not "dirt cheap" and held their re-sale value, it would be pking would also reward re-saleable goods after a won fight, further rewarding pvp combat

Instead of potions, what about having equipment with abilities you can activate? A Shield of Healing might heal you for some HP when you activate it, then require a cooldown before you use it again. This would do two things: it would limit your ability to carry around fat stacks of potions, and it would add a new layer of complexity to choosing equipment. "This sword does more damage, but this one has a Vampire ability for thirty seconds..."

I'm with savage on this.

Its not that potions are limited in quantity or that its hard to get them (everyone has access), its the premise that always having a temporary potion buff is redundant. Might as well make them permanent abilities or buffs.

And no, they don't stimulate an economy in a game as much as people think. Game economies are vastly different from real world. 

IF they were implemented then it should be like this:

• Potions are like energy drinks. Drink one and it last a certain amount of time but then you crash from withdrawal and get a Debuff.
  • Drink them all day everyday and your character now depends on them. When not constantly providing said character with them, you are constantly debuffed.

How bout that potion lovers?

Edited by s@msonite

I'm with savage on this.

Its not that potions are limited in quantity or that its hard to get them (everyone has access), its the premise that always having a temporary potion buff is redundant. Might as well make them permanent abilities or buffs.

And no, they don't stimulate an economy in a game as much as people think. Game economies are vastly different from real world. 

IF they were implemented then it should be like this:

• Potions are like energy drinks. Drink one and it last a certain amount of time but then you crash from withdrawal and get a Debuff.
  • Drink them all day everyday and your character now depends on them. When not constantly providing said character with them, you are constantly debuffed.

How bout that potion lovers?

I am okay with that, except for regular healing potions. They should just have a delay after use, and most wont work while in battle. I am totally cool with this for buffing potions. Maybe you can visit a herbalist and get a cure so you aren't dependent anymore but it requires either money or quests. That would be cool.

As I always say, there is a solution to everything while making it fair.

Edited by namco

I'm a big fan of player buffs because its another tier of group dynamics.  Potions take away from that.  For example, in EQ1 having an enchanter in your group granted your melee attack speed bonuses which made that class unique and valuable to a group.  If these things are all just potions and you buff yourself then you lose that.

I like food and water as a "consumable" but like most things I think it should be tied to guild efforts.  I would be ok with "starving" affecting your stats (lowering your strength for example.)  Guild efforts linked to PVP to maintain a solid food supply could be rewarding in game. 

Also, if potions are introduced, they should be from a guild leveled vendor where the effort to get them is in leveling the vendor.  Once its leveled the potions should be cheap for the guild.  Better consumables could be a guild wide project that way. 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

Players, not Code...

in this case it means yes there can be things added to equipment...all part of Crafting and thinking about your choices for a Build, but a consumable should never be anywhere near as good as what another Player can do, imo

i get why they can be good, solo or small group stuff where you don't have access to everything and you don't want to drag bots along....i get it, but it should be pondered longand hard...then tested relentlessly...if it can be exploited...it WILL be exploited, everytime

so a heal over time potion that is interrupted in Combat and only a fraction of what a small Player cast heal can do? sure...i can go with that...useful in a pinch, but no replacement for someone at your side

you get the idea

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Potwars are kind of stupid, but clutch pots are fine I think.

When you really think about it. Consumables are just a skill with a cooldown. In DF you had the stamina to magicka to health abilities that let you last very long in battle. They were how you could defeat many people at a time...sure you used the actual health potions as well, but it's really just a small self-heal.

Potions do a few good things when done right. They allow the underdog to get an edge up and many times they make it possible for teams with less people to defeat teams with more people when they really know when to pot up and when to bait. Typically the team's healers and supports are more effective, but that clutch potion can really turn the tied.

Sucks being the guy who lost because they didn't carry the correct kind or use the potion at the correct time. It shouldn't be about the amount of pots, it should be how they are used and what you've brought with you.

Potwars are kind of stupid, but clutch pots are fine I think.

When you really think about it. Consumables are just a skill with a cooldown. In DF you had the stamina to magicka to health abilities that let you last very long in battle. They were how you could defeat many people at a time...sure you used the actual health potions as well, but it's really just a small self-heal.

Potions do a few good things when done right. They allow the underdog to get an edge up and many times they make it possible for teams with less people to defeat teams with more people when they really know when to pot up and when to bait. Typically the team's healers and supports are more effective, but that clutch potion can really turn the tied.

Sucks being the guy who lost because they didn't carry the correct kind or use the potion at the correct time. It shouldn't be about the amount of pots, it should be how they are used and what you've brought with you.

You're right that pots are basically just a skill, not necessarily with a cooldown, but with a limited number of charges.  What most of us don't like about it is that we think players should just able to jump on and go PVP.  I don't want to have to worry about having enough pots, food, reagents, etc etc like you did in Darkfall. 

I think the overlying concept here is that I don't want to have to spend an hour each day harvesting for the stuff I need to PVP when I might only have an hour or two to play.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

-I would love not having to deal with another FULL hotbar just for pots in a game.

-I would love not having inventory/bank bloat with pots and their components

-I would love needing to be aware of were my buffers are so i dont move out of their pulsing buffs.

-I would love having different classes being responsible for different buffs. I cant even fathom a game that requires only dps classes in your group for pvp because you would need utility classes to maximize your groups dps/speed/healing/defence/etc.

Can you imagine a game where you would need other people with you to be effective and not just soloable because you can pot your way to victory? *mind blown*

The Sundered Guard

I may be old! But least I am not dead.

-I would love not having to deal with another FULL hotbar just for pots in a game.

-I would love not having inventory/bank bloat with pots and their components

-I would love needing to be aware of were my buffers are so i dont move out of their pulsing buffs.

-I would love having different classes being responsible for different buffs. I cant even fathom a game that requires only dps classes in your group for pvp because you would need utility classes to maximize your groups dps/speed/healing/defence/etc.

Can you imagine a game where you would need other people with you to be effective and not just soloable because you can pot your way to victory? *mind blown*

I think this sums up my opinion as well. Having 2 pots, one for health and one for mana, would be okay but keep buffs as a player effect only. That way, as Nevar said, you'd have a game where you'd need to play with other people.

Edited by sins-tsp

Well  wanting to  remove potions  cuz  its  a crafting/grind  thing and  you dont like it  completely  selfish. Ofc  lots of  us want different things  i just cant say  "hey i dont like to get  attacked while im  gathering stuff  so remove PvP" And healing  potions are  very basic  things it doesnt make  you invincible  just heals for  %? and generally has a  long cd. And  whats up with  getting  pots leaves  only dps ?  this made me luagh a lot  good  joke keep it up. Example  if you have 10k hp   and  pot heals for 3k and has a  min CD Its  not gonna make  you a god and  surely  its  not gonna  leave  only  dps  class . Did  you ever played WoW? We have pots  so  should we  remove  healers ?.

Like i said  everyone wants different stuff. But solution is  not removing a aspect of game  completely . Well if u want  full head on pvp (no crafting  no pve  etc etc)  Then  MOBA's will suit you just fine.

Edited by grathkar

I think preparation is important, so I like having to make sure I'm prepared for fighting. If you feel like it's too time consuming to craft or buy pots and you want to jump in the PvP asap I'd suggest a quick pvp lobby game. I just play Chivalry if I have a half hour and want something quick and dirty. An MMO I don't play with time really in mind, just goals I wish to accomplish.

To be clear not having consumables or yes having consumables isn't going to break or make the game for me, though... the bigger picture for me is the siege aspects and character uniqueness through customization.

The image below is not me; it is from a reddit post in ArcheAge showing the discrepancy between the hp/damage of two players - one self buffed only, the other self buffed and stacked with consumables.

This is the situation I hope CF can avoid.  Not only is it frustrating in arena, but when you are out in the open and a group rolls up with fully stacked consumables, you hit them like pillows while their damage is off the charts.  It's dumb.  The counterplay is to spend valuable resources stacking these consumables and 9/10 chances wasting them because they are on short timers.  AKA there is no good counterplay.

Allow players to strategize good groups when out in the open.  Make them rely on team play and team buffs - not consumables.

CZD4eEI.jpg

Edited by savage

if the consumables are player created through crafting, I'm fine with it..  The economy would settle that.

This. In the end it  is crafted  by another player. So  everyone  can get them there is nothing  unfair  about it.And  when you get consumable  buff it doesnt means  your fellow party member  cant  buff you why bring that up ?. This  is supose to be an  MMO so it  is supose to  consume your time doing stuff to progress you cant  just  expect to jump into  action and be the best  without doing anything. Like i said  earlier  that type of game  is called  MOBA. 

And a final  note  with consumable  you cant  hit  "off the chart" i mean  you cant double  your dmg  if thats the case ofc its broken. But  i never seen a consumable  that  gives you  double  dmg in any mmo all they do is buff you  in  minor ways.

Edited by grathkar

No consumables, but potions like SB are ok.  The way potions in SB worked, is it would regen like 1% standing and 3% sitting or something like that.  If you did anything other then stand or sit still, the potion was immediately disabled.  So it was only good if you were either a stealth character, or if fights were over, or if you could sneak one in during a fight without the opponents hitting you.

If anything, I wouldn't mind a potion that regens as long as you aren't hit, so if you can run around and avoid damage, then shame on your opponent for letting you. (That's how potion's work in dota)

HfLOYLH.png