Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
savage

Please No Potions or Consumables

This. In the end it  is crafted  by another player. So  everyone  can get them there is nothing  unfair  about it.And  when you get consumable  buff it doesnt means  your fellow party member  cant  buff you why bring that up ?. This  is supose to be an  MMO so it  is supose to  consume your time doing stuff to progress you cant  just  expect to jump into  action and be the best  without doing anything. Like i said  earlier  that type of game  is called  MOBA. 

And a final  note  with consumable  you cant  hit  "off the chart" i mean  you cant double  your dmg  if thats the case ofc its broken. But  i never seen a consumable  that  gives you  double  dmg in any mmo all they do is buff you  in  minor ways.

Archeage, Archeage has potions that literally double damage. WoW has potions that Increase damage scaling on equipment. Runes of Magic has a potion that increases your attack stat by 25% for 1 hour. The potions I've just listed are WAY too powerful, and should not exist.

We are not saying get rid of Health potions... (I mean i'd like that but whatever) We're saying get rid of buffs from consumables. The artifacts and other EK items will already be available for minor buffs, use those instead of potions. Any other effect should come form another class.

Below are some examples:

- Frostweaver adds "Cold steel" Buff, adds elemental damage type ice to your attacks for 15 minutes

- Confessor adds "The Burning truth" Adding elemental damage type fire to your attacks for fifteen minutes.

- Druid adds "The Wilderness Advantage" Adding elemental damage type poison to your attacks for 15 minutes.

- Duelist adds "Watch your back!" increasing parry chance by 5% for fifteen minutes

- Champion adds "RRRRAAAAAGGHHH" Increasing chance to break block or parry by 5% for fifteen minutes

- Knight adds "Phalanx!" Increasing chance to block by 5% for fifteen minutes

- Assassin adds "Marked target" to enemy player, painting a target on their vitals and increasing chance to crit Marked player by 15%

- Templar adds "Divine Alignment" Increasing elemental resistance resistance by 15% for 10 minutes

- Legionnaire adds "Formal training" Increasing base strength by 1 for every 5 points of strength the target has

- Stalker adds "Focus" Increasing ranged attack speed by 15% for 30 minutes and melee attacks speed by 5% for 30 minutes. (This assumes that ranged characters will have a realistically slower attack speed than their melee counterparts.)

- Ranger adds "The End is Nigh" Increasing damage to players whose health is below 25% by 10% for 5 minutes.

- Forgemaster adds "I just forged that!" Reducing combat durability loss to equipment by 15% and reducing durability loss on death by 5% for 30 minutes or until target dies.

These are just some examples, obviously all buffs expire on death.

Give us these sort of buffs, They add value to having varied player bases, they add significant but not too powerful buffs, and they fit within the lore of their individual character.

Tweak as you see fit, just don't add in potions for buffs...

The only issue I have with this is that it encourages players to use potions in combat and then run away and hide in a castle during the entire debuff, probably afk while their character is logged in.  Experience shows that players will do this for the tiniest reward or to avoid even small penalties.

Thats good. It'll take them out of combat for the debuff time. Thats the disadvantage. This is the type of game where if you're afk because of a potion debuff, you're pretty much a waste of space.

While they are hiding, I will be fighting for my side.

I like the Witcher system, and was thinking of something very similar as I scrolled through the posts until I came across it. You would drink a potion and get an effect and a debuff, +200 health and a debuff of +10% dmg taken for 10 min, something like that. Take to many potions and you'll end up worse in the long run, and higher quality (thus more expensive) potions would have less severe side affects. Nasty combinations are a great idea too, but to balance that there should also be great combinations, taking a fire res and ice res potion at the same time could have an 'elemental neutralization' effect, paralyzing the player or something. And taking a healing potion with a heal over time effect could create some sort of 'healing overload' giving a bonus to the health potion.

I'm conflicted on whether or not potions should be restricted to certain areas, such as healing and mana, and thats it. If they are that means that their versatility is greatly reduced and they won't be as much fun, you can count on your opponent to have some health potions and some mana potions and battle accordingly. If their is a great versatility then they will begin to replace support classes, instead of having a druid to give you nature buffs you can just take along a few potions, but this also means battles will be more interesting. The sword of ice you have has wrecked everyone in your way so far, and you suspect it will do the same on the person standing in front of you, but it just so happens they have an ice resist potion up their sleeve. So I don't know which is better, mundane potions create more player parties and interactions, but vibrant potions create more unique and surprising one vs one combats.

I do agree that potions should not be stackable to a certain extent, you shouldn't be able to spend a load of gold and then chug high quality health pots over and over and over with no severe side effects. They should also not be completely dominating, meaning that a player with a few well timed health potions should get a slight advantage over a player with none, but a good player should not be overwhelmed by a bad player (good and bad defined by skill at game mechanics) who chugs potions. They should be implemented because they add fun circumstances and provide solo players with a pseudo-support. But they should not be a game winner.

I'm such a picky person XD "Make them fun, but not bad"

Thats good. It'll take them out of combat for the debuff time. Thats the disadvantage. This is the type of game where if you're afk because of a potion debuff, you're pretty much a waste of space.

While they are hiding, I will be fighting for my side.

It's fine for you.  Having people logged in while doing nothing is less good for the servers and obviously not much fun for the people doing nothing.  I'm generally against anything that encourages players to be logged in and inactive.

Another possible suggestion:  Dilution of potion effects.  While one active potion has 100% effect, further potions beyond the first dilute the effect and cause each to have only a percentage of their full effect.  This would include short-term potions like healing potions, so there would be a real downside to having long-term buffs on you.  There would still be a point to having situational potions to counter specific threats, but they will be watered down if you use other potions beforehand.  This would cut down the need for grinding, as having just a few potions will often be just as powerful as having many.  IMO, it will increase strategy in matchups since  popping the right potion at the right time (and not before!) will be critical.  Under this system, a longer-lasting potion is not necessarily an advantage.

Leadpipe

It's fine for you.  Having people logged in while doing nothing is less good for the servers and obviously not much fun for the people doing nothing.  I'm generally against anything that encourages players to be logged in and inactive.

If they are standing around doing nothing, that is a choice they are actively making. Parties and guilds won't want these people in their company because they are putting themselves and the team they are on at a disadvantage. They will start to be associated with "Oh that guy goes afk and doesn't help."

It doesn't encourage being inactive. It encourages not using potions friviously, which is what I am all for.

The whole premise of winning is helping your faction win the war. If you're afking because of a potion debufff, this isn't the game for you and you won't be popular with anyone, regardless of faction.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is potion breakage.  Somewhere in one of the videos I'm pretty sure I saw Todd talking about how one of the things someone with the Alchemist Discipline would get is a bag for potions that would help keep them from breaking.

So consider that with your potions... how does it change the dynamic if with every hit you take there's a decent chance that one of your potions will break?  Couple that with a limited stack size and now you won't be able to rely on potions to carry you through a battle.

Unless you're an Alchemist, which I think it's safe to say won't be adding anything directly to your combat abilities...

soli deo gloria

AFK players always have the chance to be attacked, this is a PVP game. unless they port back to their kingdom, which the dev are still sketchy about how easy that will be from the Campaign.

Another possible suggestion:  Dilution of potion effects.  While one active potion has 100% effect, further potions beyond the first dilute the effect and cause each to have only a percentage of their full effect.  This would include short-term potions like healing potions, so there would be a real downside to having long-term buffs on you.  There would still be a point to having situational potions to counter specific threats, but they will be watered down if you use other potions beforehand.  This would cut down the need for grinding, as having just a few potions will often be just as powerful as having many.  IMO, it will increase strategy in matchups since  popping the right potion at the right time (and not before!) will be critical.  Under this system, a longer-lasting potion is not necessarily an advantage.

Leadpipe

This is a great suggestion, you could minimize debuff effects this way (less time AFK if you're into that kind of thing) and still a damper on potion OPness. Makes it worthwhile to carry around a couple but stops people from having stacks to make themselves invincible, by the tenth potion you're only regaining 10 hp XD.

Please do not have potions or consumable buffs in this game. They detract from group play and give unnecessary advantages to those that farm/craft them all day long (grind). I want to win a fight because my team has more skill and coordination, not because we had more consumables stacked.

Make players rely on one another for buffs to stats. Make that last second heal from your friend mean something; no "oh no" button to pop a potion.

It appears there might be food in the game. If it restores health over time, fine, but make it only work out of combat.

Thanks for reading this. Please discuss.

Dunno about this.

Considering the game WILL have stuff like hunger(as in NEED TO EAT, not turning into a icy monster), so i think they'll have something like cooking/fishing among with resource gathering like berries or even farming (?). Along with those we would receive stuff like food which already is a consumable.

I'd like to see those consumables but in a witcher kind of way. Maybe not instant HP regen but more like.. breathe underwater. I'd like to see consumables used more for preparation with stuff like poison immunity, able to see in the dark. Maybe poisons to coat your weapons, fire-resistant oils for armors, disease/hunger(as in the disease thingy) preventing medicine?

Something very situational would be very nice. And the buffs should be ''logical'' imo. :P Maybe some risky moves like increase health/decrease stamina or such.

Not to mention, this game has an emphisis on crafting and the viability of being a hardcore crafter/gatherer. Consumables are a really good way to make sure they get a place in the world. Even if armor/weapons decay/break over time.

Just don't cross off consumables as a whole in your list, considering we WILL have them in some ways. Potions have a place in games, all depends how they add them.

List of what i'd like to see:

- Everything should be ''logical''

For an example, if you drink a potion your don't suddenly start shooting fireballs from your sword or somehow poison your enemy with a strike. I want a real ''survival'' feel to it. My explanations below would be pretty much go hand-in-hand with this point.

- Risky potions.

Something like: Increases strength but also increases your characters need to eat. Makes you go on ''overdrive'' in a way. In a sense, steroids and other ''doping''-esque potions.

Maybe something that kills off your ability to feel pain. Increases health immensly but COMPLETELY removes your health bar and damage indicators/numbers. So you have no idea how much damage you've received. :P This would also remove stuff like physical movement impairments like if your character needs to limp, he instead hurts himself while running but you moves at normal speeds.

- A Witcher-ish system.

Potions that last a bit longer but give you small, situational buffs like better vision in the dark, poison resistance, increased magic power, enhanced senses to increase your potency in stuff like tracking creatures(would be awesome for bounty hunting), locating resources like herbs etc.

Imagine you drinking a potion which allows you to see in the dark and some people follow you, with the intention to kill, and they can't see anything because you ran into a cave. But you drank a potion, this allows you to start shooting with a bow with good visibility in the dark, while the enemies have no idea where the arrows comes from, for an example.

- Non-(body)consumable consumables.

Something like oils that you put on armor to increase heat resistance, poisons to coat your blade with. Or even oils to increase the durability of your gear. Oinments for stuff like bleeding, poisons, diseases. Specialized arrows even if your character uses a bow even?

- ''Immersive'' everyday consumables

Now food is a given.

But something like alcohol which could increase your pain threshold temporarily but would have decrease your speed/ability to aim straight. Later on would have bad after effects with the logic like hangovers. (See effect for the pain-numbing potion)

Edited by Torguish

Logical potions would work well, if they also remained in the realm of fantasy, logic on steroids basically. There are no real life health potions or strength potions or whatnot, so they would have to have equivocal debuffs to the fantasy buffs.

I kind of hate potions, and consumables, but I like the idea for a class specifically designed around being sort of a merchant, selling that stuff, and also consuming materials to use as abilities that theme around those consumables.

Kind of a potion maker archetype where they keep the best for themselves, and they're powered through economic means to fuel their battle-utility.

This is what I posted in my "Suggestions!" topic:

Fourth - Potions. In each and every MMO you can drink a potion, and suddenly poof, a hidden force prevents you from drinking another.
Why not have it more realistic, which fits the risk vs reward part of this game very well?
If you drink one potion, it has 100% of an effect. You can choose to drink one immediately afterwards, but then your body won't recieve the effects as much (75%), and the more you drink in succession, the more your body builds intolerance for the potions, for longer!
If you drink one, you can drink another without risk in like 2 minutes.
If you drink two in fast succession, you will have to wait 4 minutes to reach the 75% effect rate, and 4 more for the 100%.
If you drink 4 in a row, the 5th will have a 0% effect on you, and a 6th will harm you instead, and so on.
As such, you can come up with a new type of magic/item - lower tolerance for potions! You use it and suddenly your foe dies after taking a potion!

One of the FAQs also states that there is an alchemy skill (as an example), and one of its benefits is "Less of a chance for potions to blow up in your bacpack".
Meaning you take risk by just holding a potion.

I'd also have to add that conflicting potions either don't work, or don't work as expected.
Also, maybe having a global "consumption limit" to your character. You can only drink so much afterall, and to fight while filled with liquid and food... Well...

Also, to counter those who do manage to find super buffs, maybe have another harmful effect that causes one to puke, lowering his potion consumption cooldown by a bit, but also causes the enemy to barf his last few potions/consumeables. MAybe too much alcohol will be used to replace consumeable buffs (I don't need anti-cold anymore, puke it out with alcohol, drink the next potion).

After playing Archeage, yes please, NO CONSUMABLES.

I think maybe a poison skill for the rogue archetypes is as close to consumables as I would like  

This is a physics based game so it would be very easy and highly likely that potions will be destroyed once a certain force is applied to a character. If they were sent flying from a fire ball and crash into a wall for example, their potions would all shatter, lets hope we don't have alchemists fire in their XD. That would be a neat idea, when the potions shatter all their effects are used at once in a splash radius, at highly diluted effect.

There are plenty of people like myself who enjoy crafting as well as combat.  If having a crafter as part of your team isn't desirable then maybe you should find a different game.  How is having good pots any different than having good gear or armor or a balanced team of tank, dps and healer.  I hope they make crafting as important as they originally stated.  

I don't mind a potion use. Put it on a 5 minute cooldown. I just don't want to see the use of like 5 different scrolls being put on as well. I'd be fine with a 5 minute cooldown. If it makes it in game fine if not that is fine too.

" How is having good pots any different than having good gear or armor"

I actually asked this exact question previously...and provided what I felt was an answer (stackable, ephemeral, abrupt and unforeseen, non-degradable).  This is an important question and seems like it can be addressed.

Consumables on a design level are three things.

-A mechanic replacement (IE devs want you to be able to heal yourself without another player)

-A money sink (Sold by NPC vendors)

-A time sink (Sold/made by players)

I don't think any of the above should be in Crowfall or any MMO in general.

I could live with the time sink one if it is in the interest of having an additional crafting profession. Because the more craft diversity you have the better.

I particularly do not like the mechanic replacement reason. This is an MMO and you should encourage players to play with others, not give them means to not have to. You choose to go out there without a support class, well that's too bad for you.

Edited by Argasoth