Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

Still confusing: Alpha Testing!

Let me start with linking an image with what I thought was communicated with us last I checked:

9P8C62V.png

So far so good. Last I know testing would start end of summer with Pre-Alpha with possible Alpha 1 backers if needed. So this tweet is just confirming this.

But now it's gets confusing again with this follow-up tweet:

ax2O7Lq.png

Talon asks this question, because during the KS campaign it was communicated with us Alpha 1 end of summer. This got changed a few weeks ago to it being Pre-Alpha. I'm fine with this, things and plans change during development. But according to this tweet it got changed back to Alpha 1 end of summer again?

So, what is it now? Alpha 1 or Pre-Alpha end of summer?

Please clarify and can you make sure you're very clear this time on what we can expect end of summer? I'm fine with both btw. Just want to see things cleared up.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

To be honest they shouldn't be very clear at all.  There's a reason they're not giving out dates.  Because if something happens to cause them to miss that date then a bunch of idiots run to the forums claiming the devs are liars and all other sorts of ridiculousness.

Don't expect anything at the end of summer.  It's a hope not a fact.

PS. not trying to be rude or anything, just think too many get caught up in targets dates as if they're some kind of guarantee.

I remember it always being "alpha set to begin" at the end of the summer, which we interpreted as pre-alpha, but if that's Alpha 1 then even better!

Edited by oberon

Because if something happens to cause them to miss that date then a bunch of idiots run to the forums claiming the devs are liars and all other sorts of ridiculousness.

Don't expect anything at the end of summer.  It's a hope not a fact.

It's not about expectation. At least not for me. Like I said, I'm fine whenever testing starts. What I do want though, is that ACE is very clear on what they communicate with us. They're sending us mixed messages right now and this is not okay imo.

Not being clear just causes confusing and unnecessary discussions.

ZCcquVD.png

I remember it always being "alpha set to begin" at the end of the summer, which we interpreted as pre-alpha, but if that's Alpha 1 then even better!

You are correct. In the Kickstarter they said their goal was Alpha 1 at the end of summer, but they also said they would have a pre-alpha test before then.. So it seems like their schedule has been delayed and we might see the pre-alpha come out at the end of summer instead. 

You're making my point. Everyone seems to have a different view on when and what Alpha we can expect to test at end of summer. We need some clarity.

ZCcquVD.png

You're making my point. Everyone seems to have a different view on when and what Alpha we can expect to test at end of summer. We need some clarity.

No we don't.  It'll come when it comes at this point.

U1U8i28.png

The last statement on forum was Pre-Alpha at the end of summer with some Alpha 1 group testers progressively included, as it is needed.

Maybe they're just using other terms than "pre-alpha" / "alpha #" in their office... just like with the ice elf, and that's where the confusion comes from.

Edited by courant101

The last statement on forum was Pre-Alpha at the end of summer with some Alpha 1 group testers progressively included, as it is needed.

If we include that with the new info, some lucky people from Alpha 1 testing even before end of summer maybe :)

No we don't.  It'll come when it comes at this point.

Exactly this. What plans are you making right now that require precise knowledge of the testing schedule? I'd be very surprised if you had a valid answer that isn't "none".

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

If we include that with the new info, some lucky people from Alpha 1 testing even before end of summer maybe :)

Well I'm not sure this Tweet really reflects what ACE has in mind. It could be a mistake. About 3 weeks ago they said that at the end of summer it was Pre-Alpha group that was beginning the tests and that Alpha 1 would be added if and when they were needed. http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/7031-founders-update-under-the-surface-official-discussion-thread/page-3#entry186720

I guess I have to repeat myself again, because some people do seem to miss the entire point of this thread.

I do not care when Pre-alpha or Alpha 1 starts. It comes when it comes. Even if it will be postponed into winter. I do not care.

The point I'm trying to make is that ACE is sending different messages to us about this constantly. What I'm asking is that ACE communicates with us in a clear, non confusing way at present time and in the future. That's all. I'm not saying ACE does this on purpose -like Courant says- it could also be a miscommunication inside the company. But I believe ACE can do better -has to do better- communicating these things with us. At least I think that. You can disagree with that of course.

ZCcquVD.png

I am in full agreement with canth here. I was wondering the exact same thing I just didn't post it yet. My attention given to Crowfall is worse than a crack addiction right now. I'm pretty sure when it comes out i'm going to quit rl, go on welfare, and play 24/7! So yes things like this topic do matter.    

I guess I have to repeat myself again, because some people do seem to miss the entire point of this thread.

You don't have to repeat yourself because none of us are ACE and can answer you for sure. They know what you want and they'll answer if they want, the rest of us can only speculate which is always fun :)

Edited by oberon

They can claim anything they want....I don't care about when it happens either but, Initially they did say Alpha1 will start end summer 2015.  This was not pre alpha, It specifically says Alpha 1.  In my Sapphire it specifically says alpha 1 as part of my package....The quote below is from their Kickstarter FAQ....If they changed it that is fine.  I hope they didn't mislead anyone other then me,  into buying sapphire to play test this summer....

WHEN IS ALPHA 1 TESTING SCHEDULED TO BEGIN?

18.  Alpha testing for certain features of the core module will begin at the end of Summer, 2015. We expect to be testing new features and content on a quarterly basis.

Thing is if alpha 1 is end summer when is pre-alpha? Clearly there must be confusion from the devs because we havnt heard much about pre-alpha only alpha 1

Edited by fauzool

I'm going to step up and own this one since 99.5% of the social media feeds, including Twitter, are written by me. 

First of all, I want to apologize again for causing confusion. That said, let's revisit Todd's post

Yeah, I can see where the confusion is coming from on this one; it's an unintentional byproduct of the way the testing cycle works.

The process works like this: we get to a point that we believe we have a version ready to test. We test it internally. When it looks ready, we open it up to some external testers. We see how that goes. Looks bad? We stop testing and fix it. Looks good? Great, we add more testers. Repeat. Test until we have learned everything we need to learn, then stop testing and go back into development.

To be clear: at this point, nothing has changed. When we said "alpha testing for certain features of the core module will begin at the end of summer, 2015", that was as accurate as we could be (and still can be.) In terms of "who", i.e. how many people, from which alpha group(s), and how quickly will they be let in, the honest answer is: we don't know at this point. We can't know.

The pre-alpha group is quite small (less than 25 folks) so we will likely have to dip very quickly into the next group to get enough people to test... But we won't know how quickly until we get there.

If you feel that this wasn't clear in the FAQ, or you didn't understand how the process works, and that would have impacted your decision to back us, then I would invite you to please send me a PM and we will try to resolve it to your satisfaction.

Todd

That is truly as clear as we can be at this point. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community