Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nyt

Peasant Rags for No Armor

I really want to see a stronger contrast between players with armor and those without.  The most recent armor examples show the "no armor" still appearing as if they had armor:

knight_armors_small.jpg

I understand not wanting completely naked no armor characters, but they should look like they're wearing commoner/peasant rag clothing, not something too similar to armor, even if all characters start with a basic armor rating.  

When an armor piece breaks, we should see a rag replacement on the chest and legs.  Barefoot feet and nothing on the arms, legs, and head.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I think the "no armor" image is supposed to be the equivalent of "cloth", not "nothing equipped". I agree that players with nothing equipped should be visibly ghetto (albeit, not actually nude.)

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Why would I wear rags under my armor?  

Maybe when characters first enter the universe (i.e. at character creation) they can be in rags but what rational person would continue to wear those rags instead of putting on clothing like items.

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.

Thing is, we are immortal champions of the gods.  I don't think peasant/commoner rag clothing fits that theme.

Why would I wear rags under my armor?  

Maybe when characters first enter the universe (i.e. at character creation) they can be in rags but what rational person would continue to wear those rags instead of putting on clothing like items.

Although it doesn't have to be literally peasant rags (anything completely different looking than the crafted armor would be acceptable than what they currently illustrate), it could still fit the lore in that when we were brought back to the CW, we were wearing more battle worn clothes after our armor had previously been destroyed.  It would still appear like rags.... torn, dirty, frayed... cloth.

Ultimately, players without armor need to be running around with "under armor", which is why most RPGs have you in underwear.  It needs to be completely visual that the player is either missing a few pieces of armor, or no armor at all.

I don´t understand why they are going this route with the armor. If I have nothing equiped should I not just be naked(underwear you pervs xD) and when I equip my leather belt, plate head and cloth pants only those will show on my character. Maybe I´m missing something. Even though we are the eternal champions doesn´t mean we arn´t naked under those clothes, we don´t have to start with no clothes on when we create our champion but I think it would be kinda silly if you can´t take your armor off and appear "naked",  roleplaying fans will not be happy.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

I want character creation to have a suite of armor for 'no armor', and peasant rags to be an option.

The champion beggar is a pretty cool character idea.

Edited by Zomnivore

Maybe not peasant armour, but I would like to see some more ragged armour. I like my equipment to look like it isn't just for show. I like big cuts, small bits missing, torn cloaks and the like. Though I fully understand why they'd want to focus on the fancy armour first. The cool cosmetic stuff, is usually the last thing to be added.

reborn.png

Edited by Acidstrider

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

Thinking back on it though running around naked during "the color wars" in UO, was a lot of fun. That being said it doesn't really lend itself to the theme of CF.

Edited by wargasmo

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

I have to agree with Acidstrider, our armor should only appear spotless when it is first made. Armor that has seen combat is scratched, nicked, dinged, etc. The last thing it is, is spotless and shiny. 

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Honestly I rather like the idea of people actually wearing clothes.

I mean as funny as it is to see people running around in their underwear, It's also kind of nice that "terminator rules" campaigns don't open with a week of people having underwear stick fights and being completely indistinguishable from one another.

I'd imagine part of our "underarmor" design is so that we can display and recognize guild colors/symbols even when unarmored, which is going to be pretty important at the start of any non-import campaign. If we're not getting the "names above all heads" model of target acquisition then that's going to be kind of important. Imagine trying to control friendly fire in a field of naked people if you could only see the name of the person your crosshair was over.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I personally like what PopeUrban said.

I also am sick of games making "underwear" a buyable thing. (I'm looking at you Vindictus)

The theme of Crowfall lends itself to characters with dignity. I love the idea of having armor and and equipment that looks and acts realistic. When I go out into the snowy landscape in winter I think my character should be dressed appropriately. But skimpy two piece swim suits or chain mail bras don't really have a place.

"Hello monstrosity, do you know the times?" Homestar, www.homestarrunner.com

I think that “no armour” doesn’t necessary need to mean that this is what the character looks like when you have absolutely nothing equipped.

Maybe this is just some sort of starter gear or there is something like the “town clothing” in GW2. I hope that they add something like that.

It doesn't have to be "underwear", but it definitely needs to be more distinguishable away from having armor.  Hopefully, the image is a typo, and the "No Armor" is really "Cloth Armor".  The whole purpose of this thread is to suggest that "no armor" visual is very noticeable.  Otherwise, why have armor designs at all, if the contrast between the types are unrecognized "at a glance"?

Armor types and no armor wearing players shouldn't blend.... at all.

I think that something like the tunic that the ancient Romans wore under their armor would be cool as "no amor". 

From Wikipedia: 

• Tunic: basic garment worn under the armour by all soldiers in the Republic and early Empire. Normally made of wool. Tunics originally consisted simply of a piece of rectangular cloth sewed to an identical piece, with holes for the arms and head left unsewn. Later, it became fashionable for tunics to be produced with sleeves, and worn with braccae.

As seen in Rome by HBO, with and without armor:
Kevin-McKidd-as-Lucius-Vorenus-Ray-Steve

Edited by Kopriva