Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eldreth

Speculation Thread 1/15 - A Cryptic Tree Approaches

Today we were gifted with a female Templar character model (the translation from concept art to the actual model is uncannily accurate), another suggestive "Banner Concept" featuring our friend the knight in combat with a Champion, and an appropriately boggling image of a tree:

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

At first glance these could be factions. However, the inclusion of Kronos and Gaea suggests deities to me. Maybe these are one path for choosing skills/spells? 

What do you think?

Edited by Eldreth

just an Eldreth

As I said in the reveal thread, this looks like classic D&D-style alignments. Lawful at the top, chaotic at the bottom, good on the left, evil on the right, and neutral in the center. Each of the emblems could indeed represent a deity associated with each particular alignment.

Alignment does seem to be what it is, also seem to have a light and dark on either side of the tree, a sun on one side and a moon on the  other. Wonder what kinda role this will have within the game

krevra.png

As I said in the reveal thread, this looks like classic D&D-style alignments. Lawful at the top, chaotic at the bottom, good on the left, evil on the right, and neutral in the center. Each of the emblems could indeed represent a deity associated with each particular alignment.

Great insight! Definitely looks to be some type of D&D themed alignment categorization. Now only if we knew of what, exactly... :)

just an Eldreth

Also remember the original banner with a Tree in the middle where on the left you had green fields surrounded by sunny skies and on the right there is the dark desolation of the land and in the middle is the character straddling it. That to me would re-enforce a split between Good/Evil/Neutral. Also I think the crests infer factions based on an so far un-announced lore. This lore will actually restrict what type of race/class/progression can be in that faction. Example you won't have that Templar in the Gaea faction because Lore wise a Templar gets it power directly from a specific deity, follows that gods rules and goals. What you would to expect to see in the Gaea faction Lore wise is Druids that get their power from nature and strive to maintain the balance of Nature and why they would be neutral.

Edited by gauis

Also remember the original banner with a Tree in the middle where green fields surrounded by sunny skies and on the right there is the dark desolation of the land and in the middle is the character straddling it. That to me would re-enforce a split between Good/Evil/Neutral. Also I think the crests infer factions based on an so far un-announced lore. This lore will actually restrict what type of race/class/progression can be in that faction. Example you won't have that Templar in the Gaea faction because Lore wise a Templar gets it power directly from a specific deity, follows that gods rules and goals. What you would to expect to see in the Gaea faction Lore wise is Druids that get their power from nature and strive to maintain the balance of Nature and why they would be neutral.

I agree 100 percent with this actually.

krevra.png

there is a rodent and antlers on the crests.

there is a rodent-man and deer-man in the archtypes.

as such i don't think these are alignments, i don't know what they are but the above two examples lead me to believe theyre either faction-based or archtype based.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

I don't know what y'all are talking about. This is obviously a tree with some shields on it.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I am going to go with Faction-based PvP here. Maybe they'll have an option for Player-Factions. Maybe not. But right now, doesn't look like it. Unless, these "factions" are just where your powers come from and determine what class you play? Eh, I don't know. I never liked being restricted on playing what class I want just because I am a certain faction. I want the freedom to choose how I play, with whatever class I want, in whatever faction/alignment I want. 

It would be interesting to see some "good aligned" Assassin types. Or maybe something easier= "White Mage" vs "Gray Mage" vs "Red Mage".

I looked up the names and it might give some insight on what this means.

Maeve is a name meaning "She who intoxicates"

Cybele was a Goddess.

Zalena is a name meaning "Moonlight, sky, light, heaven"

Closest thing to D' Orion is Orion a Greek Hunter.

Gaea is a Greek Primordial Deity.

Closest thing to Yaga is Baby Yaga, a Slavic supernatural being.

Illara is a female name, Ilara is a male name meaning "Happy" or "Cheerful"

Closest thing to Malekai is the name Malachi meaning "My messenger" or "My angel"

Kane is a name meaning "Warrior"

Closest thing to Kronos is Cronus, the Greek Titan.

Arkyn is a name meaning "Eternal King"

Hero is sometimes used as a name.

Closest thing to Valkyn is Valkyrie, a being who chooses who lives and who dies in battle.

Edited by masterofspelss

7lXqKFL.gif

It looks to me that there will be a "good, neutral and bad side" while the faction with the flying dragon (Valkyn) get to rule above the rest?

Edited by kantabar

line09.gif

I am going to go with Faction-based PvP here. Maybe they'll have an option for Player-Factions. Maybe not. But right now, doesn't look like it. Unless, these "factions" are just where your powers come from and determine what class you play? Eh, I don't know. I never liked being restricted on playing what class I want just because I am a certain faction. I want the freedom to choose how I play, with whatever class I want, in whatever faction/alignment I want. 

It would be interesting to see some "good aligned" Assassin types. Or maybe something easier= "White Mage" vs "Gray Mage" vs "Red Mage".

I'll point out that Shadowbane had factions but players were not railroaded into playing them.  They fleshed out the background of the game, but players could basically ignore them and do their own thing.

The mere presence of factions in a game doesn't mean they will be enforced as they are in a game like WoW.

IhhQKY6.gif

I'd love to see a Path of Exile style tree hooked up into that tree, would allow soooooo many build options. I think balance would be a nightmare though : /

Edited by sarin

I'll point out that Shadowbane had factions but players were not railroaded into playing them.  They fleshed out the background of the game, but players could basically ignore them and do their own thing.

The mere presence of factions in a game doesn't mean they will be enforced as they are in a game like WoW.

I don't like fluff though. And I think that's what the devs said anyway, they want everything to mean something.

I don't like fluff though. And I think that's what the devs said anyway, they want everything to mean something.

I said this before in the other thread, but SB had a server called Vindication where they enforced the Guild Charters which restricted what races/classes/professions could be in that charter. Example the Church Charter had such things as Priests, Prelates, Warrior and they had to be of Human, Half Giant, Centaur and one more iirc. What you couldn't do was make a Druid and place it into a Guild that had a Church Charter on that server. Now with that said Guild A running a Church Charter on the Lore server could kill Guild B players also running the Church Charter.

While the game put in restrictions like factions it didn't stop you from killing your own faction like WoW did. 

Edited by gauis

A pretty image was revealed today with some names:

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

Names have power, and these names are very much based in western mythos, so what do they mean?

1. Valkyn - Valkyn is a vague one to start off. There is a Dark Age of Camelot race named this, but... probably not. I'm going to go with "Kin of the Slain" - From norse valr which forms Valkyrie, Valhalla, and is a root for words like Valour. Interestingly, the golden dragon might be related to the imagry we see in the forum banner art:ForumHeader_2.jpg
  2. Kronos - Alt spelling of greek Chronos, personification of time, often confused with Cronus, a titan who cut his dad's balls off. Hourglass points at something to do with time. Hourglass is more empty than full. Could have an eternal meaning too.
  3. Gaea - Alt spelling of greek Gaia, titan and personification of earth. Very much associated with fertility. Cronus (not chronos) was her kid. Tree, Gold on green background implies assoiciation with life, growth, etc.
  4. D'Orion - "Of Orion" - Orion is a greek hero and hunter. The antlers support this, but at the same time, one of the hero archetypes looks like a deer. So maybe it is just the house of Deer people. 
  5. Illara - Name isn't really calling out to me, but Icon is of a dead rat or mouse. Could be refering to the mouse person we've seen in the concept art and hero archtype page. Sounds like a Final Fantasy illusion spell. 
  6. Arkyn - Another norse word here. Google says it means something like "Son of the Eternal King" - given that is second from the top, we suddenly have a family tree? three great houses split from a single one. Also Note the similarity in charge to Valkyn - Gryphon rampant. The field is also gold and white, the colors of Valkyn.
  7. Cybelle - Phrygian (balkan) cult goddes. Mother of all - world order. Close to the sun and a unicorn - probably magical goodness.
  8. Maeve - More norse! related to Magi! (surprisingly more related to the stomach than magic, but food is magic). Magus/Magi being associated with magic is actually coming from persian term magush that refered to a Zorastrian cleric. With the giant squid, maybe it is seafaring, fishermen? Kraken?
  9. Hero - Uh... You know, dude who does good things beyond the norm. Interestingly, the knight in the char creator was wearing the crow charge. Is this just us?  From greek "heros" which means demi-god, or "heroe" - defender/protector. Also a long sandwich (see mave).
  10. Kane - Cain? Brother of Abel? Lion Rampant Sinester! In the judeo-christian mythos, Cain was the first son, and the fist murder. Definitely points at two lines descending form Valkyn, and also ties into the dark side/light side symbolism that is pretty apparent. 
  11. Malekai - Another judeo-christian figure, Malachi is a jewish prophet. Translated, it may mean "Messenger of YHWH." The book of Malachi was the "last book of prophecy" - to really tl;dr it, it prophecies that god will come smite fools if they don't behave." Interesting imagry with the spider, maybe tieing in with the Moirai, the greek fates - spinners of webs of fate, etc. 
  12. Yaga - Gonna go with Baba Yaga here. Slavic mythos. Very much a trickster or ambigious figure. Sometimes she gives aid, sometimes she is a villain. Yaga ties into a lot of slavic language, including the Czech jezinka - wicked wood nymph, and a lot of death/badness words. That ties in to the dead tree charge on the heraldry here. 
  13. Zalena - Might be refering to Selene, a greek moon goddes (on the moon side). The snake here is suspicious. though - and it commonly symbolizes temptation. Sometimes symbolizes healing though!

So, also interesting is how we start at the top with heroic/mythical beasts, and by the bottom they are the animals we associate with annoyance - crow, rodent, snake.  Definitely a hierarchy. 

Can always count on BBC to catch the little details  ;)

Looking for Crowfall RP? Join us at https://eatcrow.slack.com/. Details here.