Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speculation Thread 1/15 - A Cryptic Tree Approaches

I don't like fluff though. And I think that's what the devs said anyway, they want everything to mean something.

I'm not sure I follow.  Are you saying that in order for Factions to "mean something" they need to restrict player choices?

IhhQKY6.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pretty image was revealed today with some names:   Names have power, and these names are very much based in western mythos, so what do they mean?   Valkyn - Valkyn is a vague one to start off.

Today we were gifted with a female Templar character model (the translation from concept art to the actual model is uncannily accurate), another suggestive "Banner Concept" featuring our friend the kn

Great insight! Definitely looks to be some type of D&D themed alignment categorization. Now only if we knew of what, exactly...

Well researched, thanks for this post. Someone had speculated an alignment system similar to D&D and I would have to agree. It can't be a ranking system of any kind since "good" and "not good" (evil) wouldn't wind up at the same point in the end.

(You know I came in here at first to list off names like "oak, birch, maple..." but hey, this is interesting stuff)

Edited by mcfear

I saw the image and immediately thought that it was a hierarchy of deities.  Perhaps players will be able to choose their allegiance and gain bonuses off of the aspects of whatever deity they choose?  I don't believe it would be factions since the number of them is rather large for that particular game system.

The is my speculation.  Definitely Faction/alignment related.

The top deity Valkyn represents pure good and can be equated to god.

The bottom deity Illara represents true evil and can be equated to the devil.

The 4 deities on the left are Lawful, the 3 shields in the middle neutral and the 4 shields on the left chaotic.

Your choices in game will move you from deity to deity.

Some gods are at war - The top levels of the tree can always legally kill the bottom.  The left and right can legally kill each other.  Those in the middle are neutral.

As you kill people in the wrong or right factons, you are traded from god to go by moving up, down and around the tree.

Everyone can kill anyone, but their choices determine their god.  They're god determines what special powers are available to them.

A pretty image was revealed today with some names:

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

Names have power, and these names are very much based in western mythos, so what do they mean?

1. Valkyn - Valkyn is a vague one to start off. There is a Dark Age of Camelot race named this, but... probably not. I'm going to go with "Kin of the Slain" - From norse valr which forms Valkyrie, Valhalla, and is a root for words like Valour. Interestingly, the golden dragon might be related to the imagry we see in the forum banner art:ForumHeader_2.jpg
  2. Kronos - Alt spelling of greek Chronos, personification of time, often confused with Cronus, a titan who cut his dad's balls off. Hourglass points at something to do with time. Hourglass is more empty than full. Could have an eternal meaning too.
  3. Gaea - Alt spelling of greek Gaia, titan and personification of earth. Very much associated with fertility. Cronus (not chronos) was her kid. Tree, Gold on green background implies assoiciation with life, growth, etc.
  4. D'Orion - "Of Orion" - Orion is a greek hero and hunter. The antlers support this, but at the same time, one of the hero archetypes looks like a deer. So maybe it is just the house of Deer people. 
  5. Illara - Name isn't really calling out to me, but Icon is of a dead rat or mouse. Could be refering to the mouse person we've seen in the concept art and hero archtype page. Sounds like a Final Fantasy illusion spell. 
  6. Arkyn - Another norse word here. Google says it means something like "Son of the Eternal King" - given that is second from the top, we suddenly have a family tree? three great houses split from a single one. Also Note the similarity in charge to Valkyn - Gryphon rampant. The field is also gold and white, the colors of Valkyn.
  7. Cybelle - Phrygian (balkan) cult goddes. Mother of all - world order. Close to the sun and a unicorn - probably magical goodness.
  8. Maeve - More norse! related to Magi! (surprisingly more related to the stomach than magic, but food is magic). Magus/Magi being associated with magic is actually coming from persian term magush that refered to a Zorastrian cleric. With the giant squid, maybe it is seafaring, fishermen? Kraken?
  9. Hero - Uh... You know, dude who does good things beyond the norm. Interestingly, the knight in the char creator was wearing the crow charge. Is this just us?  From greek "heros" which means demi-god, or "heroe" - defender/protector. Also a long sandwich (see mave).
  10. Kane - Cain? Brother of Abel? Lion Rampant Sinester! In the judeo-christian mythos, Cain was the first son, and the fist murder. Definitely points at two lines descending form Valkyn, and also ties into the dark side/light side symbolism that is pretty apparent. 
  11. Malekai - Another judeo-christian figure, Malachi is a jewish prophet. Translated, it may mean "Messenger of YHWH." The book of Malachi was the "last book of prophecy" - to really tl;dr it, it prophecies that god will come smite fools if they don't behave." Interesting imagry with the spider, maybe tieing in with the Moirai, the greek fates - spinners of webs of fate, etc. 
  12. Yaga - Gonna go with Baba Yaga here. Slavic mythos. Very much a trickster or ambigious figure. Sometimes she gives aid, sometimes she is a villain. Yaga ties into a lot of slavic language, including the Czech jezinka - wicked wood nymph, and a lot of death/badness words. That ties in to the dead tree charge on the heraldry here. 
  13. Zalena - Might be refering to Selene, a greek moon goddes (on the moon side). The snake here is suspicious. though - and it commonly symbolizes temptation. Sometimes symbolizes healing though!

So, also interesting is how we start at the top with heroic/mythical beasts, and by the bottom they are the animals we associate with annoyance - crow, rodent, snake.  Definitely a hierarchy.

I was in the process of doing this exact thing when you posted this, THANK YOU.  The "rodent, which many have ID'd as a gopher, I was coming up blank on also.  They spend the majority of their time , underground.  Mining, resources, crafting???????

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

The 'dead' rat, could it just be hiding, on some great journey and yet unreferenced ... like maybe an Iliad? Just a thought that struck my mind. Zalena reminds me of the master snake, creator of the heavens in Haitian Vodou, but his name is Damballa I think.

It can't be a ranking system of any kind since "good" and "not good" (evil) wouldn't wind up at the same point in the end.

It can be a ranking system if you think of Valkyn as a throne. 

If this is a ranking system and valkyn stands for something like ultimate power or control over the others races then it does makes sense that the "good tree" and the "Evil tree" collapse in the end.

anyways

I don't think it's going to be like it though. I just thought it would be nice to share this point of view. xD

Copy pasting my response to the announcement thread:

I think what we're looking at is a "coat of arms" for whatever Kingdom or Empire we will be battling for control of. The crests and names are simply placeholders for the crests and names of player created guilds and alliances which will take their place. There are a limited number of slots on that tree, with a #1 position for the "Throne", the ultimate goal. These other slots could be like "realms" in Shadowbane, which granted the controling guild the ability to levy taxes on other guilds inhabiting their domain. Assuming each slot grants some benefit to the controlling guild, the top most slot would grant some additional benefit or power, making it all the more desirable. The sun, moon and tree alignment of the crests could have something to do with the lore or the areas being controlled in the game world...or it could just be a pretty background.

One thing we do know for sure: J. Todd (PBUH), is a cruel and sadistic prophet.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

A pretty image was revealed today with some names:

Crowfall_CrypticTree.jpg

Names have power, and these names are very much based in western mythos, so what do they mean?

1. Valkyn - Valkyn is a vague one to start off. There is a Dark Age of Camelot race named this, but... probably not. I'm going to go with "Kin of the Slain" - From norse valr which forms Valkyrie, Valhalla, and is a root for words like Valour. Interestingly, the golden dragon might be related to the imagry we see in the forum banner art:ForumHeader_2.jpg
  2. Kronos - Alt spelling of greek Chronos, personification of time, often confused with Cronus, a titan who cut his dad's balls off. Hourglass points at something to do with time. Hourglass is more empty than full. Could have an eternal meaning too.
  3. Gaea - Alt spelling of greek Gaia, titan and personification of earth. Very much associated with fertility. Cronus (not chronos) was her kid. Tree, Gold on green background implies assoiciation with life, growth, etc.
  4. D'Orion - "Of Orion" - Orion is a greek hero and hunter. The antlers support this, but at the same time, one of the hero archetypes looks like a deer. So maybe it is just the house of Deer people. 
  5. Illara - Name isn't really calling out to me, but Icon is of a dead rat or mouse. Could be refering to the mouse person we've seen in the concept art and hero archtype page. Sounds like a Final Fantasy illusion spell. 
  6. Arkyn - Another norse word here. Google says it means something like "Son of the Eternal King" - given that is second from the top, we suddenly have a family tree? three great houses split from a single one. Also Note the similarity in charge to Valkyn - Gryphon rampant. The field is also gold and white, the colors of Valkyn.
  7. Cybelle - Phrygian (balkan) cult goddes. Mother of all - world order. Close to the sun and a unicorn - probably magical goodness.
  8. Maeve - More norse! related to Magi! (surprisingly more related to the stomach than magic, but food is magic). Magus/Magi being associated with magic is actually coming from persian term magush that refered to a Zorastrian cleric. With the giant squid, maybe it is seafaring, fishermen? Kraken?
  9. Hero - Uh... You know, dude who does good things beyond the norm. Interestingly, the knight in the char creator was wearing the crow charge. Is this just us?  From greek "heros" which means demi-god, or "heroe" - defender/protector. Also a long sandwich (see mave).
  10. Kane - Cain? Brother of Abel? Lion Rampant Sinester! In the judeo-christian mythos, Cain was the first son, and the fist murder. Definitely points at two lines descending form Valkyn, and also ties into the dark side/light side symbolism that is pretty apparent. 
  11. Malekai - Another judeo-christian figure, Malachi is a jewish prophet. Translated, it may mean "Messenger of YHWH." The book of Malachi was the "last book of prophecy" - to really tl;dr it, it prophecies that god will come smite fools if they don't behave." Interesting imagry with the spider, maybe tieing in with the Moirai, the greek fates - spinners of webs of fate, etc. 
  12. Yaga - Gonna go with Baba Yaga here. Slavic mythos. Very much a trickster or ambigious figure. Sometimes she gives aid, sometimes she is a villain. Yaga ties into a lot of slavic language, including the Czech jezinka - wicked wood nymph, and a lot of death/badness words. That ties in to the dead tree charge on the heraldry here. 
  13. Zalena - Might be refering to Selene, a greek moon goddes (on the moon side). The snake here is suspicious. though - and it commonly symbolizes temptation. Sometimes symbolizes healing though!

So, also interesting is how we start at the top with heroic/mythical beasts, and by the bottom they are the animals we associate with annoyance - crow, rodent, snake.  Definitely a hierarchy. 

Then again, it may simply be a pantheon and their various heavenly alleigances/domains. They seem to be arranged by their relationship to the earth. Above earth, on the earth, below the earth, sun and moon.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

It can be a ranking system if you think of Valkyn as a throne. 

If this is a ranking system and valkyn stands for something like ultimate power or control over the others races then it does makes sense that the "good tree" and the "Evil tree" collapse in the end.

anyways

I don't think it's going to be like it though. I just thought it would be nice to share this point of view. xD

I guess I could see it that way... 4 schools or houses within 3 factions that all fight to control the top tier kingdom capitol or something like that. I could probably put that in my top 3 guesses. For some reason I feel like it has to do with a character affiliation option. It appears to me from a graphic design perspective to have more to do with selection than progression (choose one or get stuck with one based on actions rather than steps to a top tier). I guess time will tell.

I guess I could see it that way... 4 schools or houses within 3 factions that all fight to control the top tier kingdom capitol or something like that. I could probably put that in my top 3 guesses. For some reason I feel like it has to do with a character affiliation option. It appears to me from a graphic design perspective to have more to do with selection than progression (choose one or get stuck with one based on actions rather than steps to a top tier). I guess time will tell.

I feel the same. I'm also thinking these "houses" have something to do with the tree painted in the background and the places each is positioned has some kind of meaning.

Another thing to consider. I don't think the field colors are coincidental.

• Arkyn has the Gold and White of Valkyn
  • Kane has Grey and White
    • Could be silver, implying second son
    • Could also mean born of a union between a house with grey and Valkyn - the only house with a grey field is Hero
      • Which could imply a "fall from grace" aspect to the dark side of the lore
    • D'Orion also has the Bend on their field - Green and Grey which implies a mix of Gaia and Hero
      • Another vote towards something half man/half nature (stag)
    • Malekai has both bends, and would imply the descent of a minor house from Kane

Can always count on BBC to catch the little details  ;)

Looking for Crowfall RP? Join us at https://eatcrow.slack.com/. Details here.

Oh man, just noticed another detail - the border of the heraldry is either gold or grey, and I'm going to go ahead and say that has some meaning as well. No idea what - it could signify an origin (sun or moon).

If that is true, it means that some houses have switched alignment since inception. 

Edited by buhbuhcuh

Speaking as to the rat mining underground....

Traditionally PvP is ground based with an element of air to it (arrows, spells, trebuchets, etc) and fliers added an additional dimension. What if rats could siege from underground! dun dun dunnnn. They'll invade from underground, have their fleas infest the cats, and then Black Plague. Good game, even numbers, good fights. GoML

Speaking as to the rat mining underground....

Traditionally PvP is ground based with an element of air to it (arrows, spells, trebuchets, etc) and fliers added an additional dimension. What if rats could siege from underground! dun dun dunnnn. They'll invade from underground, have their fleas infest the cats, and then Black Plague. Good game, even numbers, good fights. GoML

OMG it would be the best thing ever if digging and sapping were part of siege warefare.

Well researched, thanks for this post. Someone had speculated an alignment system similar to D&D and I would have to agree. It can't be a ranking system of any kind since "good" and "not good" (evil) wouldn't wind up at the same point in the end.

(You know I came in here at first to list off names like "oak, birch, maple..." but hey, this is interesting stuff)

In a PVP centric game there is no such thing as alignment.  Some of you need to learn this simple rule.  If you come up on someone who isn't with you, they are against you.  You can all speculate into if this is an alignment chart, but I seriously doubt it is.  These are probably the different promotions with different specific skills.  

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. -Sun Tzu